Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Painkillers (March 11, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Pretty sure it was cut due to it being an early show. The venue turned into a nightclub at 10, so he had to be done by 930... So weird. I get that the set needed to be cut, but was such a bummer that he chose that one.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oof, that just sounds like a buzzkill kind of show. Find another venue!

3. Putting this on again for the first time in like a month. Still good. What are people thinking about it now that it's out?

4. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I like it enough. It feels like a "safe" album to me and the same thing we've always heard from him. Would have liked a little more but it will be a good summer album for me.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

3rd favorite overall Fallon project. I really really like it a lot. Sounds different enough from his other projects while still retaining his trademark songwriting.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Still love this, still don't think it sounds much like a Gaslight Anthem record at all. It's "safe" in that it's his wheelhouse genres and influences. That's not a bad thing at all, IMO. I would rather have a songwriter doing what's comfortable and doing it well than stretching themselves and failing spectacularly. That's just me.

7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I agree. This isn't a Gaslight Anthem record, but it's definitely a Brian Fallon record. It's the best version of what I expected it to be.

8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I agree with @Chris Yates for the most part. But, as with anything Fallon, I'm gonna listen.

Chris Yates likes this.
  9. Listened a bunch over the past few days, and I'm really loving this. Like others have said, it's Brian doing what he does best, and I'll never get tired of that.

10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This album feels really good. I get most excited for where he can take the sound of "Up All Night", because it's one of the only songs that really feels like he was influenced by Nashville country.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

"Nobody Wins" is one of the best songs hes ever written

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I just came in here to say that I think Nobody Wins might be my fav here

13. I'm all about "Rosemary" and "Open All Night." "Nobody Wins" is great too though.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Feeling "Honey Magnolia" tonight.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I like this. In large part because I'm very invested in him and his career. But I was hoping for more. Starts pretty well and finished strong, but it sags pretty significantly in the middle.

16. Craig Manning

Very much in disagreement with this statement. I think it's one of his most consistent records.

17. Craig Manning

Definitely my favorite track at this point. I would love a full Nashville-influenced country record from him.

18. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Decent record - seems very "safe" and I wish he branched out a bit more. The end of the record is very strong though.

19. Matt Chylak

Oh my god. If Brian just soaked in the scene off of Honky-Tonk Row for a couple months and tried to write his own version of New Morning, it could potentially be his best record. Slow it down a little, get some session players in there to create a smooth backing band, and see what happens. He's got a great voice for crooning, which isn't something this record takes full advantage of.

I think we're going to get it at some point, too. This feels like he dipped his toes into Americana, and he's gotta like how it came out.

20. Matt Chylak

I can't get the way he says "famous blue" out of my head on the closer (0:33). Reminds me of Conor Oberst for some reason.

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Dude cannot live without references, huh? Definitely back at it on this record

22. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I love just about all of this album. The back half is just about perfect for me - except Mojo Hand, that song ruins the flow. Wish he had stuck it on the end - I don't mind the song by itself.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. I feel this same way.

24. Craig Manning

Yeah, I think he'll keep going in that direction--especially if Gaslight doesn't make another record.

25. Callum Macleod Mar 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 16, 2016)
    Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

In fact
    The thought of Gaslight never making another album crushes my soul. Obviously I'd always be happy with any new music from Fallon though.