Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Painkillers (March 11, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Same same same.

I haven't been big on the stuff I've heard, and I've always anticipated a solo album from him. I don't know, guess I just wanted more Horrible Crowes or something. It's weird.

2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, I'm not getting my expectations up too high... hopefully it'll exceed them.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I haven't even listened to any of the singles from this. At this point I'll just wait.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Bummed that people aren't excited for this.

Here's my review, if anyone's interested. Brian Fallon - Painkillers [Album Review]

This one feels significant. It's my 200th review over there and also probably my last. I started writing for AbsolutePunk after @Jason Tate and some staff members read my blog post about Gaslight's Handwritten and asked me to come aboard, so this is a super "coming full circle" kind of moment for me. Feels like the right time to call it good on reviews over there and wait for what's next.

Anyway, don't wanna get too sappy. Thanks to anyone who ever read my stuff or commented. It's meant a lot.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

So are you no longer going to be on staff or AP?

6. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I imagine Craig and the rest of staff will transition over here, so it's his last review for AP.

At least I hope that's what he means.

7. Craig Manning

I'll hopefully be writing a bit over here, once the content side of Chorus goes up.

8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Craig your writing is fantastic. I hope you continue to produce content over here!

9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I figured when I saw this site that AP is getting phased out and re-branded under Chorus. I just wasn't sure what Craig was doing specifically.

10. Craig Manning

Yeah, that's more or less what I mean.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I think Jason will outline more of what the content side is going to look like in the coming weeks.

11. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

Always a big fan of your writing, Craig! Really looking forward to this album — in no small part thanks to your review — even if Get Hurt was a record that I kind of let pass by with no real fanfare. I think this step away from TGA will help Fallon's creativity.

12. Yep, still working on all that, don't worry — my plan is definitely to keep working with awesome writers and make sure you can find their writing on the content side and forums.

13. Feels like I've been waiting forever for this lol. really excited, listened to Get Hurt yesterday and still really like it

14. Craig Manning

I look forward to hearing what people think of this now.

15. jordalsh Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2016)
    listening now. "A Wonderful Life" means a lot to me rn, kind of reconfiguring my image for my post-undergrad life after grad school turned out to be a bust

edit: "Among Other Things" reminds me SOOOO much of American Slang, I love it.

edit2: so far this is about :100:% what I expected. Fallon boiled down to his very core. and it's good and enjoyable and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for a while

edit3: is that a Rites of Spring namedrop? haha

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This is sounding more than American Slang than anything, but I'm only a few songs in.

17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Well... this is kinda disappointing. I'll keep listening obviously, but nothing here has really drawn me in. Pretty easily the least I've enjoyed a Fallon project.

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Mojo Hand is pretty bad.

19. Craig Manning

I had a similar moment a few years ago, not with grad school but with my actual major. Hope everything works out.

20. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I'm at work so it'll be a while before I listen but I'm excited I only listened to 1 single.

21. thanks! it's all good stuff now, kind of excited to have at least some time out of school and to figure out what I'm gonna do.

22. This version of "Long Drives" is really interesting. It seems like an older, nostalgic perspective on the same situation, as opposed to the angrier, in-the-moment tone of the original. Really glad to have both versions of this one.

23. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is pretty solid! Nothing groundbreaking but some solid songs.

24. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Played this for the first time on my way to school with the windows down. This is one of those albums that makes perfect spring/summer driving music.

25. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I listened to this last night and really enjoyed it. I said either here or over at AP that I had a feeling this album would feel and sound like New Jersey to me, and it definitely does.

Craig Manning likes this.