Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Painkillers (March 11, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Brian Fallon - Painkillers
    Release Date: March 11, 2016

1. "A Wonderful Life"
    2. "Painkillers"
    3. "Among Other Foolish Things"
    4. "Smoke"
    5. "Steve McQueen"
    6. "Nobody Wins"
    7. "Rosemary"
    8. "Red Lights"
    9. "Long Drives"
    10. "Honey Magnolia"
    11. "Mojo Hand"
    12. "Open All Night"

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Music video premiere over at NME.

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I got a copy of this yesterday. Can't wait to listen

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I ended up liking this, but not being crazy for it like I hoped/expected. This thing ends very strongly though

5. That's the feeling I currently have with it as well. It's good. I like it. But it's not my favorite.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Very few of Fallon's albums have been love at first listen for me. American Slang took probably six to eight months to really grow on me. I think this is one that I'll only continue to enjoy more and more as the year goes on. Specifically, I think this needs a late spring night drive.

Interviewing Fallon on Thursday. Looking forward to that.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Leftandleaving

Aaaaand since I got locked out of my stream, I guess I won't be able to change my thoughts til an official stream comes out. Hahaha

8. Haha. Too many opens?! I hate so much about these systems. They're truly hostile.

9. Craig Manning

This is why I always rip streams as soon as I can. It just drives me crazy to have to continuously go back into their stupid little players to listen to an album. How long until that stops being the model? I got an advance today that was just a straight mp3 download and it was such a welcome change of pace.

10. Leftandleaving

I'm not sure haha. I think it's because my computer died with the tab open

11. If you trust me with a stream, you should trust me with the mp3s. That's been my mantra for a while. If something can be streamed, it can be ripped anyway, and if someone was the kind of asshole that's going to leak an advance they got, there's a good chance the "just streaming" mode isn't going to prevent that. The better idea is to cull the advance lists to people you trust, don't send advances to magazines that claim to need long lead times if you don't trust their writers, and send watermarked mp3s.

12. Craig Manning

Pretty much what I've been thinking lately. They're taking shots in the dark and hoping for the best either way. Might as well try to provide a decent listening experience while they're at it.

13. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Really like "Steve McQueen" that was just released. Liked each one that has been released so far.

14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

"Painkillers" is really good. Wasn't expecting another release before the album next week.

15. Craig Manning

I feel like I've had this album for years at this point. Hahaha

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I forgot this was coming out. I'm sure I'll be into it, just haven't felt hype for it.

17. Corey Putney

@coreyputney Prestigious

Everything I've heard from this record sounds very "Spring" to me. I'm excited to finally give it a listen this week as we've got high 50's in the forecast - feels right.

18. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This is probably going to make me intensely nostalgic for home/NJ and I can't wait

19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Can't wait to hear the studio version of Red Lights. I really like the Zombies' version and the live solo one too.

20. Broke this out tonight for the first time in a while. It's good. It just doesn't have that one thing or song on it that takes it to a next level for me.

21. Meerkat

Not sure the best way to word this, but does it fit within the context of his career? Thinking about someone like Andrew McMahon, you can really draw a line through LTTW all the way to AMITW and it all makes sense as a greater story.

22. Craig Manning

My review of this is going live tomorrow. I ended up really loving it. At first, I was sort of where Jason is with it. Now, I think it could be top three in his catalog for me.

@iplaydrums: To answer your question, it actually sort of reminds me of the Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness record. What I wrote in the review is that it feels like he's surveying his life/career so far from an older, wiser place.

23. Meerkat

I'm glad that question made sense! It's been something I've been thinking about a lot lately. You can put on any of Andrew's records and get a pretty good understanding of where he was at that point in his life. I'm not super familiar with Get Hurt and/or Handwritten to be able to say I feel that way about those records, but I could see Brian becoming one of those types of artists.

24. Corey Putney

@coreyputney Prestigious

I don't expect this to be an all-time favorite album of mine - I don't expect it to floor me. I just want an easy-to-listen-to Brian Fallon record with some catchy choruses, some nice lyrics, and some pretty melodies. I know it won't be some masterpiece of a record like I got from The 1975. That record is something serious - I'd introduce it to my parents. I just want something casual out of Painkillers.

Edit: With that being said, I'd love to love this more than I bargained for.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'd say Brian is that kind of artist. Like Get Hurt for instance was about his divorce. There's definitely some residual heartbreak from that on this album, too.