Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Local Honey (March 27, 2020) Album • Page 42

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

seems reasonable

2. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Been waiting on this lol

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

happy birthday Local Honey

Elder Lightning likes this.
  4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Still my second favorite album from 2020

Elder Lightning likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So Brian did an Amazon exclusive REM cover. e-Bow the Letter with a feature by Susan Atkins.

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B092L91GH8

I don’t have the song because of the exclusive thing (guessing being a Prime member doesn’t do the trick).

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

mmm the original is so good, definitely interested to hear his take

7. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

Can we please just get Have Mercy on Spotify? Is that too much to ask?

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

#193 - Brian Fallon

Just listened to Brian on a radio show called Washed Up Emo. Talks about his love of bands from the area, discovering music and attending shows. His enthusiasm about music is always nice to hear. No much discussion on anything about anything he’s working on on plans, but he did say the demo of 1930 was influenced by early Planes Mistaken For Stars.

I know Brian will be touring Local Honey and release the REM cover, but so looking forward to more music from him.

Leftandleaving and Brother Beck like this.
  9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

did not expect brian on that podcast

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Brian loves talking about his influences. I still expect him to do some kind of solo covers album one day (similar to the Gaslight iTunes Session).

11. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Elsie came out ten years ago today

12. robhoelscher

13. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Huh. That won’t be for me at all but good for him.

SteveLikesMusic and Fletchaaa like this.
  14. First song is up on streaming. It sounds really nice.

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I will be checking this out for sure because it’s a Brian project. He’s spent a lot of the lockdown reflecting on his musical roots on various podcasts and his Sittin’ Around at Home show (like Dylan, Springsteen, punk like Rancid, emo, bands like Planes Mistaken for Stars amongst so many others). One thing he always goes back to is his first real music exposure was through his mom, and often in terms of Hymns.

Although I do wish we got a covers record of more modern or diverse songs from him (like when Gaslight did the iTunes session), I do think it’s cool he’s going back to his roots at times like these. You don’t have to be religious to appreciate a great performer doing a song. Plus he’s done this record with his mom which seems very sentimental for him (yes he had her do that before pre Gaslight).

I’d rather new music. I rather a different kind of covers EP. But that said, I’ll happily listen. Amazing Grace is a pretty powerful song too and I know it’s been covered like many others on here a bunch (I think the DropKick Murphy’s instrumental version is one of the best) but have at it and make it your own.

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Which song?

17. .K. likes this.
  18. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Brian Fallon is a very interesting songwriter to me. Even if I'm not in love with the song I'm listening to, something about his voice and how he says things really resonates with me. I'm listening to a lot of Get Hurt lately and I don't even really like it a whole lot now but I can't stop listening to it

Joe4th and TJ Wells like this.
  19. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I’ll check it out because it’s Brian, but yeah not really looking forward to this. I’d much prefer new material or more modern covers.

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d still love a studio version of how Brian Fallon and The Horrible Crowes performed Atlantic City live full band. It was awesome and no YouTube video will do it justice unfortunately. Also, I think he’s said it was t happening (and that was with the second iteration of his solo lineup).

I’m sure there are licensing costs of cover songs that can factor in as well and with Brian being independent now it’s probably makes sense to follow the sentimental route.

I felt like he was going to do something to experiment using old music between records, but I didn’t expect just hymns. He did do that REM cover to though which funding through Amazon never hurts.

Having this release will help bridge the gap between albums and hopefully we start to hear something about a March 2022 timeframe if he’s able to stick to a schedule of every 2 years (although I’m sure a lack of touring has probably had an impact for studio costs we don’t see).

First one is pretty good. I’m all in for hearing new Brian vocals and arrangements.

21. MJForumPoster

Regular

I would love a lot of studio recordings of Horrible Crowes stuff. Their Teenage Dream cover especially.

.K. likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Definitely looking forward to this

23. chong138

I have a short story about "you have stolen my heart".

Last year when it came out my fiancee and I decided it would be our wedding song for April 2020. Covid hit a couple of weeks before the wedding and we had to cancel it. I wasn't able to listen to that song or even most of the album for the past year and a half because it hurt too much. Our rescheduled wedding was on August 6th this year in San Francisco (we live in San Diego). I still couldn't use it as our song because it brought up bad memories of canceling the wedding the year before, so we decided on another song.

On our drive up to SF for the wedding, I saw on Instagram that Brian was selling some handwritten lyrics to four different songs....on the morning of our wedding. Turns out one of the songs was "you have stolen my heart". I was amazed that he was selling those on the exact day of my wedding, so I began re-thinking using the song. I talked about it with my fiancee and we decided it was too much of a coincidence and we were going to use it after all. The morning of my wedding I set my alarm to wake up early and try to get a lyric sheet from Brian. Luckily for me, he was releasing lyrics to "the '59 sound" that day too, so I think most people wanted that. I got my lyric sheet, added a line from the song into my vows and danced to the song with my wife that night at the reception.

Now the song brings me nothing but happy vibes.

24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think the live performance record does it justice, but a studio version would be even nicer. There are other ones I remember seeing him do like Lost in The Supermarket by The Clash, I’m on Fire by Bruce Springsteen, I Will Steal You Back by Matthew Ryan that are all really cool amongst so many others.

Brian’s got a nice umbrella of musical taste and artists that are past or current so I did think he may have landed on a covers EP. One Hymn, one 60’s-70’s folk song, one rock song, one punk song, one emo song, and a current song. Again, maybe that’s wishful think. Dave Hause did do cover concept split with himself and now has a new record on the way. I’m hoping this Divine Night is a predecessor to new music.

25. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I really enjoyed the first song and I also wasn’t overly excited once I read what this was.

.K. likes this.