Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Local Honey (March 27, 2020) Album • Page 24

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This is the first time I've ever been underwhelmed by Fallon.

Argus likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Both in my top five!

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

man I love proof of life so much lol

4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I truly don’t get people not liking this but loving his first 2 solo records. This is what I’ve been wanting!

CAC3 and KidLightning like this.
  5. abcdefg123

Regular

And that’s cool if you want a longer record. I definitely wouldn’t have complained about having more songs but I’m also cool with 8 songs. I also remember when lots of albums only had 8 songs. Look at early Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, etc albums. People have just come to expect more.

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Took a look.

Bruce Springsteen:

1975-Born To Run-8 Songs-39:23

2019-Western Stars-13 Songs-51 Minutes plus a bonus cover song exists

Metallica:

1984-Ride The Lightning-8 Songs-47:25

2016-Hardwired....-12 Songs-77:42

Maybe because I love it. Maybe because the song lengths are a little shorter than other 8 songs albums mentioned. I put the most modern releases from those bands with 8 track albums. Just as a contrast.

Being a self release, maybe Brian wanted to keep it concise, or maybe any other songs he wrote didn’t fit the album, maybe he’s held a few back for future releases or to be reworked, or maybe time/cost was a factor.

I definitely wouldn’t have been bored by a song or two more. I also do like album right near 40-55 minutes. If I’m driving, making dinner, relaxing, whatever, I generally like to have an album last the activity/experience.

I’ll let this go though. So many good things to talk about with this record.

7. BenSmith94

Trusted

I would prefer a musician to put out 8 songs they felt confident in, rather than pad out an album with three or four songs they didn't like as much. Quality over quantity, every day of the week.

abcdefg123 likes this.
  8. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Surely actual album length matters more than number of tracks...

abcdefg123 and Craig Manning like this.
  9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Before truly digesting the latest:

1. Etta James
    2. Blood Loss
    3. Ladykiller
    4. Nobody Wins
    5. Honey Magnolia

6. See You on the Other Side
    7. Sugar
    8. Watson
    9. Crush

Not sure what to put at 10. Maybe even Last Rites, which is such a perfect mood setter for that album.

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Oh I like it too. I think sleepwalkers is close to perfect. But if a had to dump two, it would be one of those two.

11. DannyZach

Trusted

That’s cool,some people have been wanting something else though haha

Like I remember when Painkillers was about come out,I’ve been literally counting days and then was waiting until the midnight till it hits streaming services and didn’t go sleep at all that night because I loved it so much.

Then Forget Me Not happened and I couldn’t believe he did it again.I was obsessed with that song and then with the whole record and still think it’s the most fun thing he ever done and it still makes me feel great.

....Yea and then I just hardly finished Local Honey.But I didn’t even expect to like it much after the first singles anyway.Not for me.but Iam glad a lot of people enjoying it.Ill wait until the day he’s ready to yell and play some rocknroll again

Pepetito likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Your top five is really close to mine. Same top two, and "Nobody Wins" is probably my number three. Would round it out with "Behold the Hurricane" and either "If Your Prayers Don't Get to Heaven" or "Smoke."

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  13. I'll be 100% in that I wanted to, but didn't love Sleepwalkers like I see a lot of folks do - and I guess I let that diminish my excitement for this record a bit. I finally listened to it last night and wow I'm disappointed in myself.

This album is fantastic. It's not a perfect 10 but damn, Brian has to be one of the most earnest songwriters I've listened to. Every lyric just pours out of this guy's soul on this record.

Great job Brian and I'm really happy to see a lot of people really enjoying this album as well. Here's to many more!

imthesheriff likes this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Gaslight/Brian have left a lot of fan favourite songs in the past. I can’t imagine why or how She Loves You got left off American Slang. I’m sure it’s a challenging process for the artists.

BenSmith94 and Pepetito like this.
  15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Horses might be top 10 for me.

16. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

This one feels like a true "solo" album. Painkillers and Sleepwalkers I could see, especially in retrospect, passing for pre-Get Hurt Gaslight albums, but definitely not this.

imthesheriff likes this.
  17. eagles1139

Regular

The god-tier Fallon songs from Painkillers are Smoke, Nobody Wins, Rosemary and Open All Night for me. From Sleepwalkers, it’s Etta James and Watson.

Too early to say with the new one, but Lonely for You Only and Hard Feelings remain the two songs I can’t stop playing.

I also think Painkillers has aged a lot better than Sleepwalkers for me. When Sleepwalkers came out I ranked it very highly, but now it’s the only of his albums that never fully sucks me in.

Wherever the new one ends up in my rankings, he’s already carved out a really interesting post-Gaslight career with these three albums. Three very different approaches that all still feel like they fit the very distinct Brian Fallon aesthetic.

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

It's a bit slow for me, I found myself getting quite bored, but as always his lyrics and vocals are pretty much untouchable. I could listen to him sing anything.

Hard Feelings, in particular, is just too good.

19. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't think I'd like this as much as I do but I can't stop listening

JM95 likes this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This album is making me appreciate Get Hurt so much more.

I love his raspy vocals and his lyrics on this album, but I just get bored with the music. I truly need to be in the mood for stuff like this, which I hardly ever am.

ezmo311 and Argus like this.
  21. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I think this is a good album, but it isn't necessarily one I'll come back to often as a whole. I could see myself enjoying the songs as part of a Brian Fallon playlist, but I really need to be in the right mood for it as a standalone piece. The songwriting is excellent, though.

Pepetito likes this.
  22. AshlandATeam

Trusted

All I’m trying to say is that if you make a playlist out of all of Local Honey, most of Elsie, and the quieter parts of Painkillers and Sleepwalkers, it’s the most relaxing and pleasant listens in the history of humanity.

Argus and .K. like this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

You guys want to dump My Name is the Night????

To me Majesty's and Proof of Life are the 2 weakest, but I don't particularly want to lose either one

Pepetito likes this.
  24. abw123

Trusted

See You on the Other Side is upper tier Fallon, in my opinion

Steeeve Perry and .K. like this.
  25. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This album is incredible. Stunning at certain points.