Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Local Honey (March 27, 2020) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Well that's one I'd never drop. "Proof Of Life" is the best love song on the record (even better than "See You On The Other Side").

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That's sort of the cool part with his solo and Gaslight stuff. You could ask 3 different people and get three different records as favourites.

3. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

My biggest beef was painkillers was having half the album early because of Molly And The Zombies.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  4. abcdefg123

Regular

This album is perfect. Eight songs works just fine. The album is still 31 minutes long. That’s plenty. But I also come from a hardcore/punk background where a 25 minute full length is normal. I know, it’s just me.

But back to this album. I’ve had it on repeat since 9 this morning. It’s now 10:30 pm. Safe to say that I love it. I’ll echo the love for “Vincent” and say that it literally had me crying in the car earlier.

JM95 and imthesheriff like this.
  5. MidDave

I’d rather an album be “omg it’s done already??” Than overstay it’s welcome.

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Has Brian ever over stayed his welcome?

Pepetito likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

A punk record of 31 minutes could still have 12-14 tracks.

Some of us would have liked a longer record. Some think it’s perfect. Either way it’s still gonna be 8 tracks. Wonder if there are any b-sides?

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like "See You on the Other Side" a bit more. Neither are in the top half of that record for me. I think the acoustic ballads on this album are a lot stronger than the ones on that album.

9. MidDave

With me? No. Just saying I don’t mind a shorter album since he’s consistently putting stuff out.

.K. likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He definitely has a great track record for releases/release periods.

11. MidDave

Yeah if he was one every five-ten years I’d prob be wishing for more. But he’s almost as consistent as Jimmy Eat World so I’m cool assuming this is just the album he wanted to make and enjoying it.

12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Every 5-10 years? Those folks must already have the money or something else on the go.

Gaslight/Brian has almost been every two years, but there have been so many extras in there. Very impressive.

Jimmy is every 3 years.

Both very consistent.

13. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

My name is the night is a top five song on that album. If I had to drop two it would be proof of life and Etta James

14. Craig Manning

Dropping "Etta James" would make that album so much worse. Best song he's written since Gaslight, imo.

15. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Etta James is his best solo song lol.

From Sleepwalkers if I had to cut any songs it would be Proof of Life, My Name is the Night, and like a minute or two from Little Nightmares.

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

I'd go as far as to say that "Etta James" might have my single favorite Brian Fallon vocal performance, or at least right up there with "Blood Loss" and "Here Comes My Man."

17. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Yeah, Etta James is definitely a top ten Fallon/Gaslight/THC song for me.

18. JM95

Trusted

Another who's fine with the length. Eight really good songs, just over half an hour. Perfect.

abcdefg123 likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Finished my first listen. Not bad Sunday morning music while making breakfast for the wife and me.

Outside of that I just don't see myself coming back to this much at all. He's a great songwriter (One of my favorites) and maybe I just need to be in the mood for this type of thing, but I still found it boring. The songs almost sound like studio acoustic versions of Gaslight Anthem songs. Not a bad thing, but I think its a giant step backwards from his first two solo albums. Especially all that went into Sleepwalkers.

I do agree that the length is perfect because the songs are slow and acoustic. Too much of that is no bueno in my book.

Favorite song off this was Lonely For You Only

ezmo311 likes this.
  20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I just don’t have enough good things to say about this record. It’s just perfect.

abcdefg123 likes this.
  21. thewmaynes

http://johnnymainstream.bandcamp.com

I think Silence would fit well on this record but I don’t really have a problem with the length.

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for the reminder his cover of Silence is so good. Haven’t listened to it in a while!

imthesheriff likes this.
  23. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Echoes my thoughts almost to a T

24. thewmaynes

http://johnnymainstream.bandcamp.com

I didn’t realize that was a cover, I’ll have to listen to the original.

25. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Not coincidentally Etta James and Blood Loss are my two favourite Fallon "solo" tracks. Both absolutely breathtaking.

CarpetElf and Donnie Ruth like this.