Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Local Honey (March 27, 2020) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. eagles1139

Regular

The guitar at the beginning does sound exactly like the acoustic version of She Loves You.

I really really love this one. It's weird, it's like these love songs (especially the lyrics) are walking a tightrope between "too sweet/corny" and "absolutely beautiful" -- "You Have Stolen My Heart" falls in the former category for me, but "I Don't Mind" falls firmly in the latter.

Shrek and jpmalone4 like this.
  2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Blue Dahlia is a top 3 Gaslight song for me ... arguably my favorite. Love it!

SVXDan83 likes this.
  3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

First listen I immediately thought that he was playing that haha

Still like it though, these verses are great

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

got the notification this morning that there was a new song and thought today was release day ugh, still more than another month. holding out on listening to anything other than the first song released until it's all out.

momo32t likes this.
  5. abw123

Trusted

This is my favorite of the 3, and yes, the guitars are extremely "She Loves You", although the vocal melody is not.

6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Wonder if it affects him negatively for folks to wait until the album's out. I don't know enough about how resourcing works at Thirty Tigers.

7. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Sounds like a hot take is.....that i don't like Blue Dahlia lol.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I like Blue Dahlia. There isn’t a song one Handwritten I’d swap out for it, though, so if they wanted to keep a 12 song album, I get why it was cut.

.K. likes this.
  9. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

New song is good but its similarity to "She Loves You" is kinda distracting for me. Hah.

That's just my initial impression; it'll grow on me I'm sure.

10. abw123

Trusted

I understand this opinion, I have a few I'd trade it for, but not many......I like my Handwritten the way I have it in Itunes, with Blue Dahlia as track 12,,,,,,it may not be on the album proper but it's on MY version.

Same with Get Hurt.......the 4 bonus tracks belong on there to me, so I kept them all together as one big 16 song album, even if it kinda drives me bonkers to not close it with Dark Places. I should probably just resequence it.

TGA is one of the rare bands where I keep the bonus tracks sequenced with the albums instead of treating them like B-Sides..........they're just too good to get relegated.

11. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

I consider Gaslight to be my favorite band, but these singles haven't really excited me at all.

dustman likes this.
  12. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It’s entirely possible that this is my imagination, but a thing I’ve always loved about TGA is that their albums felt so cohesive. The ‘59 Sound and Handwritten aren’t 12 songs; they’re two ideas, two in twelve movements. American Slang felt a little different, but that’s just because it felt like two complete thoughts, with side A and B being so perfect for each other, and then there’s Get Hurt, which I will go to my grave believing works perfectly so long as it’s in the order of the deluxe album and includes those songs (which may be my favorite songs on the album, incidentally). (Also Sink or Swim doesn’t feel like that, but it’s much more of just ‘the Gaslight Anthem makes a punk rock album’ to me than anything else so it’s fine).

Anyway. I guess the point is I totally see how sequencing and order are extremely important for this band in a way I don’t think is true for other bands. I have absolutely no idea why this is, and maybe it’s just that these records, as is, mean so much more to me than others. But it feels important to keep them the way they resonate with me instead of mixing them up.

13. That makes sense. Cause the album is nothing like a Gaslight album. At all.

DyingGaslight and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Just listened for the first time and I Don’t Mind feels like an intentional She Loves You sequel with a touch of Elsie charm to differentiate, drizzled in Local Honey.

Another fabulous song from what will be another fantastic record in a long line of nothing but fantastic records.

Brother Beck and abw123 like this.
  15. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The new song is good, but 21 Days is still my favorite of the 3 released so far. I think it might be one of Brian's best songs, across any of his projects.

16. abw123

Trusted

I don't think I'm going to end up liking this as much as the previous 2 albums BUT that doesn't mean it won't still be great.

17. abw123

Trusted

Brian on twitter:

Gotta love the honesty.

"The intro chords are the same progression. I didn’t realize that until today. I had a lot of other sounds on the original take but I took them away in the final edit because I loved the part bare. Apparently, I loved it so much I used it twice. Don’t let it distract you"

Shrek and .K. like this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Well it’s a very good song, and if you’re going to be influenced by anyone, it might as well be yourself.

19. Michael Qualiano Feb 21, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 21, 2020)
    Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Yeah of course it has zero similarities to a Gaslight album...(sounds pretty damn close to She Loves You...)

Just wanted to preface a comment of slight criticism; I am usually fond of everything this man puts out.

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like it all. I’m glad that Sleepwalkers that had songs that remind me of Americana Slang and few Painkillers songs reminded me of Handwritten.

I will say, there are songs from the Gaslight era that would fit with solo stuff too thought. I’m still a “under the umbrella of Brian Fallon” guy. I hear hear similarities, themes, phrases from all projects crossing over. Yes, Local Honey and Sink or Swim are very different, but maybe it’s just the genuine nature of every project he’s been part of.

it’s still a long way to March 21st, but people like what they like. I just happen to like it all.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  21. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I can't believe this is still one month from release and we've heard 3 of 8 songs. Weird rollout.

22. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

?

DyingGaslight likes this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

still over a full month to go for this ughh

24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I am so ready for Local Honey.

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. DyingGaslight