Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Local Honey (March 27, 2020) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

actually its good

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i haven’t listened in years. i remember the opener sounding like a bad stone temple pilots b-side and that’s about it

3. Craig Manning Feb 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 17, 2020)
    Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I mean, I disagree (I think it's heavily flawed, but I still enjoy a lot of it) but I still think the review in question is very a bad piece of writing by Ian Cohen that piles snark on that album along with out-of-line assumptions and personal attacks against Fallon in particular. If I was the editor in that situation, I would never in a million years have let that shit fly, even if it was an artist I didn't like.

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Sucks he didn’t have fun.

Brother Beck likes this.
  5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

For my money and musical tastes, the Deluxe Version of Get Hurt is basically a perfect hour music, and I still listen to it regularly. I think it’s some of Fallon’s best work, and he’s my favorite musician.

Shrek, Sal Paradise and Brother Beck like this.
  6. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

I still revisit Get Hurt just as much as Gaslight's other releases, with the exception of Handwritten.

I still wish "Have Mercy" made it onto the official Get Hurt album release.

Shrek, imthesheriff and Brother Beck like this.
  7. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Get Hurt was great besides Stay Vicious and Stray Paper which are probably my 2 least favorite Gaslight songs besides Too Much Blood. It was a little disappointing at the time given how amazing Handwritten, American Slang and 59 Sound are, but its not a bad album at all even if its my least favorite.

Shrek likes this.
  8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don’t think handwritten is very good at all

Shrek and bradpetrik like this.
  9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

dustman and AshlandATeam like this.
  10. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I think that way the Deluxe version of Get Hurt orders things makes it so the last six tracks sound basically like the first Brian Fallon solo release. The run of Break Your Heart/Dark Places/Sweet Morphine/Mama’s Boys/Halloween/Have Mercy could have been released as a prelude to Painkillers and it would have made sense. It just sounds like Fallon was already in a solo headspace for those songs, which, given what we’ve seen since, isn’t bad. And I think that stretch is top tier Fallon.

dustman and jpmalone4 like this.
  11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I was put off of Get Hurt for the longest time because Stay Vicious is easily my least favourite BF song

12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love Stay Vicious and I love Get Hurt (song & album).

13. phaynes12

14. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

DyingGaslight and CAC3 like this.
  15. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Here's my hot take - I don't ever go back and listen to The 59 Sound. Personally, I don't think it aged well.

16. phaynes12

not pretty much anyone i’ve interacted with. i don’t want to put words in his mouth, but i’m pretty sure even thomas isn’t super into it.

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I return to the first 3 albums a good amount, but American Slang the most of them all. I can't remember the last time I gave Get Hurt a listen, and yeah, Handwritten just hasn't aged well at all for me.

18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Didn't Thomas give Handwritten a 100% review on AP.net?

19. phaynes12

oh, probably lol

20. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

He did but then the year after when he does his previous EOTY do-over list he said he had cooled on it a lot if I remember right. @Thomas Nassiff wya

Handwritten is my least favorite of TGA records but it’s got some good stuff. Blue Dahlia should’ve been in the track list though

Sean Murphy likes this.
  21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i think 'Neighborhoods' was also given a perfect score if we are discussing 'hind sight' in AP.net reviews lol

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Good girls, they like to sin

23. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The ‘59 Sound is timeless and Handwritten is excellent outside of Here Comes My Man. Too Much Blood has strong Soundgarden vibes, which I’m all about.

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Whoa, don't tell Craig hahaha

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. abw123

Trusted

My exact response.