Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brendon Urie Forced to Move After Harassment From Fans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brendon Urie of Panic! at the Disco has had to move houses after being harassed by fans. You can read the full message from Brendon below.

Three years ago I bought a house. A dream home, really. I had a studio built in part of the house, wrote an album there, jumped off the roof into the pool countless times. It was incredible.

Also during that time, since my address was public, I would receive letters and/or gifts from fans. This never bothered me. But as time progressed, so did the amout of letters. Not just letters and gifts, this soon changed into visits and constant harassment from fans. It got so bad that I didn’t feel safe in my own home.

So it’s with this statement that I’m announcing I have moved on from what was once a safe place.

I only hope this sheds lights on what inappropriate behavior looks like. Boundaries are boundaries for a reason. Everyone has a right to feel safe and everyone has an obligation to be happy. So I’m taking my family somewhere that might make this a possibility.

Thank you, old house, for giving me a creative space and for lending me a place of rest, even if just for short periods of time.

That being said, I would LOVE to continue reading your letters and gifts. So I leave you with an address nowhere near me that I’ll have checked periodically. Thank you, love ya.

901 N Fairfax Ave, #176, Los Angeles, CA 90046-7203

Beebo, out.

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I could never imagine just showing up at someone's home, famous or not.

3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Didn't Alex Gaskarth have a serious problem with this a while back? So crazy that people can't draw the line between being a fan and being a stalker.

4. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I came in here to post that I remember reading a story about some fans crashing a wedding that guys in ATL were attending. Like, what the fuck, people? Musicians are people, people have boundaries.

5. this is fucked and really sucks to hear.

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I hadn't heard about that, but I thought someone showed up at Alex's house (I don't think he was there, but Lisa was if I remember right?) I don't remember the whole story but it was extremely creepy. Glad Brandon made the move he needed to ensure the safety of him and his family.

summertimejesus likes this.
  7. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

That doesn't surprise me at all. Celebrity worship is really strange, to say the least.

8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

By going public does it mean it was published in an article? That stuff isn't terrible hard to find because of public tax records so idk how much that fixed his problem other than people not knowing what county he moved to.

9. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i remember a couple kids broke into/trespassed in Hayley Williams' (now former) home back when she was having construction done; i think they posted all over social media abt it too.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I remember this. Posted video of the inside of her house

11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Hayley was also harassed by some lunatic fan girl in Portland, the band stayed clear of here for a good period of time.

It's fucking nuts to me that fangirl/fanboys can't get a fucking grip and think this is okay. I try really hard not to be annoyed by them on a regular basis, but they make it so hard, especially after hearing shit like this. This is really unfortunate, but hopefully him opening up about it will check a few childish creeper fans back into reality.

12. CheapPop

Regular

Jesus. Must have missed that. That's sincerely fucked up.

Sucks Brendon had to go through this. Fan mail is one thing, but showing up to the guy's house is seriously creepy.

13. ARo24

Regular

I feel like artists give their fans plenty of opportunities to meet them these days. Going to their home though is not okay. Pretty sickening really.

14. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

That is such a shitty thing to happen. As others have said I cannot imagine even thinking about doing something like that. Keep your boundaries and what you would want to happen to yourself.

Love that the new address is a Fedex unit. Is this so he can letters and gifts have it forwarded onto him?

15. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Poor guy. I remember seeing a video of him showing off his house and I could tell he was really proud of it and really loved it

Mr. Serotonin and Zoshchenko like this.
  16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

They put the entire thing on social media. They showed up at his house and WAITED on the street for like hours for Alex to get home. Then they went to the door. after watching them through the window for a bit. BEYOND creepy, way over stepping of boundaries etc.

17. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Throughout how creepy and unfortunate this has been, Brendon's been really gracious about it and careful not to let it disconnect him from his fan base. He signed off the letter with a fan nickname he usually makes fun of, stuff like that strikes me as really sweet of him.

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ohh yep. That's what I was thinking of. I remember when I heard about that and just being really creeped out for him. It can be creepy enough when people see band members in public places (depending on how the person acts), but going to their home and literally stalking them is absurd. There's absolutely no excuse for it. (Of course we're all on the same page though haha)

19. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Geez some fans can be really stupid and inconsiderate.

20. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I thought the same when I read the article yesterday. Such a shame for him, theres some really creepy people in the world.

21. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Such a shitty thing for him to have to do. I can understand fans wanting to take a selfie in front of his house, but I don't get harassing the guy you're a fan of or even trying to approach him in any way. Let him be.

22. esposimi

Regular Prestigious

23. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I think it's funny reading all the comments on Twitter. Half the fans are probably the ones who went to his address.

DearCory likes this.
  24. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I'm kind of surprised he ever made his address was ever public...am I reading that right?

25. devenstonow

Noobie

The ATL wedding thing was creepy AF; like, no aspect of it was okay, but if it was someone in the band's wedding, it'd at least somewhat make sense why someone would (wrongly so) think it's okay, but wasn't it like, a friend of the band's wedding? How anyone would think that someone would be okay with that...