Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Breaking Down the (Fake) Team’s Decisions in ‘Draft Day’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

If you’ve listened to more than a handful of episodes of Encore you’ve heard me rant about the movie Draft Day at one point or another. Riley McAtee, at The Ringer, breaks down the trades in that abomination of a movie and there’s just no way I can’t share this:

But the Browns’ owner (a how-did-I-get-here Frank Langella) wants Weaver to make a splash in the draft, and he’s infatuated with Bo Callahan, a quarterback widely expected to go no. 1 overall. And why wouldn’t he want him? A linebacker or a running back can’t SAVE FOOTBALL IN CLEVELAND. So when Seahawks GM Tom Michaels (Patrick St. Esprit) lays out a deal that would give Cleveland the no. 1 pick, it’s Weaver’s chance to … you guessed it: SAVE FOOTBALL IN CLEVELAND. By the end of the movie, Weaver’s made three deals and numerous other decisions. But did he SAVE FOOTBALL IN CLEVELAND? Let’s grade every major draft-related decision in the movie to find out:

This movie is worth watching just to prop up your local liquor store’s monthly take.

2. TDenverFan

Regular

I saw this on an airplane once. Not a great movie, but a good way to kill 90 minutes on a plane

3. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Such a preposterous movie.

4. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Loved this article as it is a perfect example of a so bad it's good movie. The scene where the mom and ex-wife bust in 2 hrs before the draft to scatter Weaver's dad's ashes on the field is cinematic brilliance.

5. transrebel59

Regular

The worst thing about that movie is that it had potential to be a great sports movie.

6. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Basically had the same ending as Trouble with the Curve. If I didn't know a thing about sports, I would think Costner's character was a genius.

7. suppyguppy

Regular

Haha didn't realize people hated this movie so much. Saw it with my dad and we both enjoyed it enough at the time. Then we drafted Manziel and I don't rememeber anything after that...

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

bunch of sportswriters loved it when it first came out

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

In case anyone forgot what Draft Day was, it can adequately be described as "@Jason Tate's favorite movie of 2014."

10. Easily. Nothing else came close.

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Smallville guy for Best Supporting Actor.

12. Mr_Hox

I love this movie. It's completely preposterous, but I love it. Maybe it's due to my lack of NFL knowledge.

13. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

To be fair, it's possible Manziel doesn't remember anything after that either...

suppyguppy likes this.