Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Breaking Bad (AMC) TV Show • Page 14

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

That's not quite fair because Netflix only actually produces like, 20% of its original content. So if you judge Netflix originals, you're putting a ton of studios under one large umbrella

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Steve don’t get all factual on me.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

#sorry

Cameron likes this.
  4. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Anyone else doing a rewatch?

This show is just a marvel. The cinematography, the acting,the characters. One thing I keep noticing is how much they nailed Hank as an asshole law enforcement officer. He’s a total dickhead but it’s entertaining.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah I just started rewatching the other night and loving it all over again. I'm at S2E4 now.

Love the scene where Hank tries to get Skyler to talk to her sister, and she just has a full on meltdown. The look of complete terror and "holy shit I fucked up by saying that" on his face had me dyyingg.

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  6. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Hahaha yes, that was The exact scene where I realized just how damn good Dean Norris is in that role.

I Am Mick and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. EarthShifts

Trusted

Despite this being one of my favorite shows ever, I have never actually done a rewatch,

I decided to give it a go last night and damn, I forgot how quickly things ramp up. I remember major moments but I forget the timing of them, so I was surprised when we were already dealing with the acid in episode 2.

I'm excited to watch everything again knowing where it ends up. I can already feel a slight difference though where I am rooting for Jesse and Walt, but I am way more sympathetic to Skyler and Hank than I was the first time around.

8. RyanPm40

People love to hate Skyler and Jane but I just feel sorry for them

coleslawed and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Doing a rewatch with the commentary is really fun. The cast just goofs on each other and give pretty funny, informative notes.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. RyanPm40

Do you have a box set or something? I just watch through Netflix

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I have the DVDs from back when DVDs were still a thing.

SEANoftheDEAD and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

This to me is probably the biggest setback of streaming services for me now, TV Series have fantastic extras (movies too of course) and I miss those. The Seinfeld DVDs used to have an extra called 'notes about nothing' you can turn on as an option and little side notes about each episode would pop up throughout the episode like behind the scenes info, a boyfriend/girlfriend counter for all 4 major characters and lots of other fun info. I miss that stuff

coleslawed, Brent, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  13. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Seems like Disney + is already working to remedy that. No doubt it will roll around to the other big services in no time

oldjersey likes this.
  14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Oh wow, very cool

15. Morrissey

Trusted

They shouldn't have started by making Skyler as unlikable as possible. The birthday eBay handjob is so bad.

Brent likes this.
  16. RyanPm40

Idk I've found her pretty sympathetic on my rewatch. Walt seemed just as complacent in their marriage as she was, it goes both ways. That's what happens when two unhappy people stay together for years and stop making an effort.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

The first season paints everyone all around Walter in the most unflattering ways possible. Comparing the show to The Sopranos, Carmela is such a richer character all-around. Anna Gunn received a lot of ugly sexism from fans of the show for the role, but it is also true that the show's writers put her in that position by not giving her much to do other than pout and complain to Walter.

18. Pseudo! Aug 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2019)
    Pseudo!

Regular

I think that's only true in the first season, after that Skylar was given a much more sympathetic role, along with the rest of the side characters. They literally showed Walt sexually assaulting her in the very first episode in the second season, I think anyone who still feels binded to the perceptions of the first season are missing the point that we were intentionally shown these people around Walt from his perspective to later surprise us that it's actually him who's the monster

19. RyanPm40 Aug 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2019)
    RyanPm40

I've read someone else say something similar, and maybe it was in here, but upon rewatch, it's pretty clear that Heisenberg has been inside Walt from the very beginning. He is a pretty awful person even in the first couple of episodes- all the warning signs are there. He just didn't want to let himself realize it at first because of how much of a pushover he had been throughout his life, and the cancer clouds the judgment of the viewers from the very beginning to make them feel sorry for him.

EDIT

This seems to detail some of the warning signs from the beginning Breaking Bad at 10: the thing that changes most on a re-watch

mad and coleslawed like this.
  20. RyanPm40

Does anyone know how Walt's salary seems to randomly go up working for Gus?

At first, he was going to be paid $3 million for 3 months. But then decided to partner with Jesse again so he would walk away with $1.5 million.

$1.5 million every 3 months would be $6 million a year. However, when he brings Skyler cash to launder for the first time, he tells her that his salary is $7.5 million a year. Did I miss something?

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Speculation has been made regarding the cash pile in the storage unit

22. Pseudo!

Regular

Pretty sure there's a scene where Walt and Gus have a talk at the chicken farm and Gus raises it to 15 million a year. I think it was the same scene where Walt told Gus he knew that it was him who called to warn Hank about the twins

Ken likes this.
  23. RyanPm40

Hmm I don't think that sounds right, but maybe I spaced out during that scene. But maybe that $15 per year you just mentioned was before splitting with Jesse, and then that totally makes sense. I just don't recall that scene in my rewatch (just finished the Mexico episode with Gus poisoning everyone)

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I started a rewatch recently and it's definitely harder to be sympathetic with him now. Obviously, it's hard to be impartial since I know how it all ends, but the details are there. He treats everyone around him with so much contempt and a lack of respect. For example, there's a little detail in the third episode when he kills Crazy 8, he insists on calling him Domingo even though Crazy 8 says he never liked the name. Or when Tuco gives him and Jesse a gallon of water and Walt immediately pushes Jesse away so he can drink first. There's also a lot of bigger red flags (like basically attempting spousal rape in the opener of season two) which make him completely unsympathetic.

Skylar also comes off as way more sympathetic. I'll admit in my first watch, I was one of the people who found her character a little naggy and annoying in the first season. But in hindsight, why wouldn't she be worried about where her terminally ill husband is constantly? Especially when it's obvious when he's lying. She is constantly caring for him and he's just being an ass all the time.

25. Pseudo!

Regular

Just double checked, it happens in the Kafkaesque episode. After Gus ups it to 15 million a year (which Walt then splits 50/50 with Jesse) Walt drives really fast with his eyes closed almost hitting a semi in the other lane

RyanPm40 likes this.