Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Break beachdude42 Out of His Music Rut! (Rec thread; please read OP) • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jan 21, 2018.

1. mattylikesfilms Jan 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2018)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

My dude! Let’s get you out of this funk! I checked out your list but here are a few of my favorite current jams (that I don’t think you’ve listened to yet);

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I guess I can't post more than 5 videos per comment. LAME. Anyways, here are the last two from me:

Let me know what you honestly think @beachdude42 B-)

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. I listened to First Aid Kit for the first time on Friday and I've been thinking about their new album ever since, to be honest.

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Seriously, thank you everyone for all the awesome recommendations! Might take me a while to get through all of these, but I’m honestly so happy this got the response it did, and I’ve already discovered so much amazing stuff.

Honestly I had definitely been in a narrow mindset recently when it came to music, and this thread is hugely helping.

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Another few that I love:

also this is going to make me sound like....a thousand years old, but i've found a TON of artists I like by listening to CBC's Radio 2. We happen to get the station where I live and they play a lot of indie/contemporary/whatever stuff. It's nice because it's curated but also features stuff I wouldn't have found on my own.

6. beachdude

I’m definitely up for your idea honestly. Need to break out of my comfort zone.

I got into The Dismemberment Plan recently, that album is brilliant!

7. CoffeeEyes17 Jan 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

heres a couple recs with super brief descriptions for ya Alex

Death Grips- aggressive hip hop mixed with punk. MC Ride portrays a character who is paranoid, hostile, drugged out, and at the end of his rope with nothing to lose.

mewithoutYou- probably my favorite band, gun to my head. post hardcore mixed with indie rock mixed with some folk and other weird sonic elements here and there. Aaron Weiss is, for my money, the best lyricist in our music world.

Gatsbys American Dream- a band that was really ahead of their time. emo, pop rock, math rock, jazzy chords mixed with ever shifting key changes and time signatures. brilliant stuff

Rilo Kiley- stunningly beautiful indie folk rock. Jenny Lewis has a way with tugging at heart strings with what seems like innocuous observations at first, but goodness shes incredible and the rest of the band match her with some great instrumentation.

Drive By Truckers- a great alt-country band with a strong political message that very much challenges traditional southern values and the more problematic and toxic aspects of southern history/heritage. Both Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley are great vocalists and songwriters with distinct styles but their chemistry is wonderful.

Daft Punk- you probably know these guys but the french duo are so much better than theyre given credit for. intelligent, forward-thinking house/dance music thats as catchy as it is bizarre at times.
    Daft Punk - Technologic (Official audio)

A Tribe Called Quest- for me, the best hip hop group ever. jazz/blues influence is all over their catalog and all of the members shine, even Busta Rhymes holds his own on the few tracks he features. Low End Theory is a classic no doubt. RIP Phife Dawg :(
    A Tribe Called Quest - Vibes and Stuff

8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Too excited to see someone list her to just click "like"

9. beachdude

Only one of these I’ve really heard is Gatsbys, and even then I haven’t listened to them nearly enough I think. I gave a mwY a shot a while back and it didn’t click with me too much, but I’m gonna try again with them because there are some tracks I’ve heard I really liked.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Seems like you got a lot of recs. Let me know if you want anything from me haha.

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'll just throw out a song for a bunch of my favourite artists and hopefully you can find something you like. I think you probably already listen to a lot of the same stuff as me though so there might be some stuff you already like. Also I think I'll check some stuff out from this thread too because I've had similar trouble finding new stuff to love for the past year or so.

There Will Be Fireworks

mewithoutYou - backing Kenneth's rec. Incredible band.

Imogen Heap/Frou Frou

Bjork

The Hotelier

12. SpyKi

Death Cab for Cutie

The Birthday Massacre

Grimes

The Microphones/Mount Eerie

Frightened Rabbit

13. SpyKi

The Cure

Kamelot

Nicole Dollanganger

beachdude42 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Oathbreaker (make sure you listen through at least the first 3 minutes):

The Body & Full Of Hell (this whole album is ridiculous in a good way):

Ex Eye (post-metal jazz fusion? Don't really know what to call it):

cwhit, beachdude42 and mescalineeyes like this.
  15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I’d honestly be really overwhelmed if I was given this many recommendations at once hah. On the bright side, this should occupy you for a looong time

16. beachdude

Gonna try to dig through more of these today... Yesterday was my first day at my new university, but once again I really appreciate all of you for helping me with this. Already discovered a lot of incredible stuff thanks to this thread.

It will haha, and honestly I'm really enjoying the exploration so far.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  17. zmtr

Trusted

Based on a couple things I saw on your last.fm

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

beachdude42 and zmtr like this.
  19. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Subbed this thread so I can come back and post some of my recommendations and also check out others as I’m sure there’s loads on here I haven’t heard of myself which is also interesting!

We’ve all been there though man! Music funk has happened to me more as I’ve approached my late 20s.

beachdude42 likes this.
  20. beachdude

Gonna check out a bunch more of these recs this week. Thanks again everyone!!

anonimito and cshadows2887 like this.
  21. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Both of the Averi albums are amazing. Honestly wasn't sure there were any fans on here!

SpyKi likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Hell yeah! Chris (@cshadows2887) introduced me to Chad/Averi...must have been almost eight years ago at this point. Been a huge fan ever since. Chris actually got Chad Perrone to record guest vocals for a track on his last album, and I wrote the bio that's currently on Chad's website.

SpyKi likes this.
  23. cshadows2887

This makes us sound very accomplished.

Craig Manning and SpyKi like this.
  24. SpyKi

I was the first person to pledge for Chad's last album, that's something I guess, ha.

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. cshadows2887

I count that as an accomplishment.

I believe he's working on a new one.

Craig Manning and SpyKi like this.