Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Break beachdude42 Out of His Music Rut! (Rec thread; please read OP) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

All of their albums are great. That one in particular is about the colonization of Mexico and is rly cool

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"When You Gracefully Creep In":heart:

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It's so hard to pick one Averi song!!!

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

That album has at least 5-6 of my favorite songs ever, and it's not even my favorite Chad LP.

JamesMichael likes this.
  5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Back this rec, best track of the year so far.

beachdude42, cwhit and mescalineeyes like this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Since they’ve been mentioned:

beachdude42 and incognitojones like this.
  7. cshadows2887

I mean...it's mine. But I can't fault anyone Release or Wake.

I also just had to act on total instinct and do the first diverse bunch that came to mind. if I thought too hard about something like this, it'd paralyze me. Haha

You ever hear Willis Alan Ramsey?

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Sorry if that was too many recs. I get excited when people let me rec them old shit.

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Agreed 100%. New turnstile is close 2nd.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Release is mine. I think that's pretty close to being a perfect record. Still pretty close to the top of my albums of the decade list.

Have not heard of Willis Alan Ramsey. Up my alley?

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

A few more

Incredible post-punk album from this year

Atmospheric, jazzy, surfy, punk (ish)

Female fronted indie rock from the best album of 2017

12. cshadows2887

Yeah 70's country-ish album from a Texas guy. I had checked it out when some reputable sources had called it a forgotten masterpiece. Not sure I'd go that far, but it's a great hidden gem, and...well...random rec thread.

beachdude42 likes this.
  13. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Here's something I do often to keep myself nothing but daunted by the concept and world of music:

Google a different country or area of the world, one you know nothing about or maybe even one you do, find a genre or a musical style of that area that you’ve never heard of or only seen tangentially, something relatively specific (Krautrock or Tropicalia are great first examples tbh) and listen to an album by an artist that plays that kind of music. Read up on it maybe, pick out elements you do recognize. Figure out why they might be there, where and why does that particular guitar tone or drum pattern come into fruition at this time on the cultural yarn wall that is music history, cross-reference that other times you’ve heard that particular sound (maybe in musical corners you are familiar with) or felt evoked in that certain way, and slowly through that process rinse repeat, follow the trail of sonic breadcrumbs back to whatever your comfort zone is to hopefully have accomplished two things: 1. a newfound appreciation for the music you've known and loved having some partial wisdom on where it came from and how it exists, as well as 2. some knowhow on music a little more out of your eyeline and one step closer to "understanding" it all, lol

but hey, we all listen to music differently so if that plan's fucking way out of your lane, the dismemberment plan are dope

beachdude42, Kiana and cwhit like this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I want to second this. I'm so ready for new Bad Bad Hats music this year

beachdude42 and ChaseTx like this.
  15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

good job cody for posting the best album of all time in here

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah I saw them with The Front Bottoms and bought the record. I really hope they take off

beachdude42 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

My recommendation is Snail Mail, and I think my favorite song by them is "Dirt":

And there's a wonderful Audiotree version too, so you know listen whichever way you prefer to listen.

beachdude42, brandon_260 and cwhit like this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Same here, it's been a long time since I've enjoyed an opener that I'd never heard of before that much. Which is the same way I fell in love with TFB, so look at them paying it forward.

beachdude42 and ChaseTx like this.
  19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

snail mail is going to be massive by the end of the year and i love everyone in that band, get on that band before you aren't cool anymore

20. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I see Animal Flag was already recc'd. They're usually my go to for these kinds of questions.

Here are some artists I love

Black Foxxes

Partner

Maggie Rogers

Tash Sultana

The Collection

beachdude42 likes this.
  21. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I think that's enough for me. I've been in ruts like yours, hope this thread will help you get out of it.

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Happy to help! A lot of your artists overlap with mine, but I didn't notice these guys, who are a some of my all-time favorite bands/artists. Not really within the realm of this site, though!

This one is off my favorite Tonic album. ^ The song captures a bit of their mellow side, though they are fantastic at heavy tracks too - especially live. The vocalist (Emerson Hart) has had a great couple of solo albums. Here's a single from his most recent release:

Vertical Horizon (yes, the "Everything You Want" band) has an album out in a month, but this is from their most recent release, which was spectacular. The atmospheres (in this album especially) in their most recent work remind me of Acceptance's latest (and amazing!) album:

And finally, a more left-field recommendation: David Hodges (solo), followed by one of his bands (Arrows to Athens). I love everything he's done. His music always has such wonderful melodies. The first track (solo) is more acoustic, while the second (Arrows to Athens) is a bit more aggressive.

I hope you find something you enjoy.

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. Kiana

I didn't know vertical horizon still made music!! They had so many good hits I've been meaning to look more into them

beachdude42 and anonimito like this.
  24. Kiana

This band is so good but it's hard to find stuff on them cause their name and I haven't found them on Spotify or anything. It's what i was gonna rec to @bree1981 this round of the chorus rec club until I realized they weren't on Spotify. But the whole album is here and it's good

bree1981 and beachdude42 like this.
  25. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Oh yeah! It takes about 5 years between albums for them anymore, but each new one has been better than the last (even though I honestly really love each of them). "Go" came out in 2003, and is the closest thing to "Everything You Want" from 1999. "Burning the Days" came out in 2009 and was more alt-rock. "Echoes from the Underground" was released in 2013 and is much more atmospheric and (dare I say it) 80s influenced. I have high hopes for "The Lost Mile" next month!

beachdude42 and Kiana like this.