Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Break beachdude42 Out of His Music Rut! (Rec thread; please read OP) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jan 21, 2018.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I definitely get where you're coming from. I partly want new stuff to check out and don't mind if it's somewhat similar to things I've heard, but if I end up discovering new genres/sounds I love that's awesome too. I'm the first to admit my regular listening can be pretty narrow and there's a lot of popular genres I've barely touched.

Heh, I've gotten this a few times. I'm trying to branch out more for sure. I've only heard Hiatus Kaiyote out of that list and haven't listened in quite a while, so I'll check out those artists.

2. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

EDIT: I also back the Animal Flag rec all day long. That band is incredible.

3. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

beachdude42 and mescalineeyes like this.
  4. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Backing All Get Out as well - The Season would be my recommendation (the song, to be clear)

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

They're just all female fronted, I noticed your list was very heavily male. And if you like like Mitski it opens up doors to stuff like O, Jay Som, Porches, Florist, Told Slant, Japanese Breakfast - which opens doors for more Philly stuff like Hop Along, All Dogs, Cayetana, and Camp Cope, the most Philly sounding Australian band, and maybe the most important band disrupting the scene right now.

And that's just one of them, there are paths to new areas if you find something worth exploring, that's the best way out of a rut, at least from personal experience.

ChaseTx and beachdude42 like this.
  6. mescalineeyes

ASHAMED (OF BEING BORN) Prestigious

Here’s my weird rec then:

7. beachdude

I feel like a weakness of some of the genres of rock I've been heavily into is the vast majority of the most popular bands are male-fronted, but I also haven't really gone out of my way to look for female-fronted bands... definitely willing to explore that further.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think I've listed like 20 already, there's a ton of great bands with great women out there

Also Looming, Laura Stevenson, Courtney Barnett, Phoebe Bridgers, and Ratboys, I could go on and on

KidLightning and beachdude42 like this.
  9. beachdude

So yeah, just as I suspected by the description I loved this immediately.

Gonna check a bunch of the song recs for a while and check back in with my thoughts. Thanks again everyone!!

10. Aj LaGambina

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Hop Along is a great Rec. "Powerful Man" is still one of my favorite songs I've ever heard.

11. beachdude

Dude, this is sick!! I almost wish it was longer, but the short song fits the vibe they're going for perfectly. That hook is so catchy haha, definitely gonna check more by them later

This kinda gives me a vibe like if Hayley Williams went in a more indie rock direction or something haha, very cool and I love the vocals.

Woah, I dig this. Haven't really listened to a ton of punk music in this vein, but I want to check out more now. Kind of reminds me of classic punk bands from the early days of the genre.

I really dug this! I like that I'm discovering bands I haven't heard of before... would you say the album with this song is a good one to check out?

Damn, this is sick! Love the guitar tone, definitely checking out this whole album.

12. beachdude

Oh yeah definitely. I just haven't spent enough time looking, thanks again for the recs!

Aj LaGambina and mescalineeyes like this.
  13. Aj LaGambina

Phoebe Bridgers all day. “Strangers...” is a fantastic album.

beachdude42 and mescalineeyes like this.
  14. mescalineeyes

I’m obsessed with that album.

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I back Camp Cope, Cayetana, and Soccer Mommy. And again want to recommend people who like those to listen to Bad Bad Hats

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh man, this is tough haha, I’ll list some artists not on the first page of your history but you’ve probably heard them all anyway. Personally I’m also not aware of that much stuff that isn’t fairly well known either.

Turnover - Bonnie (Rhythm & Melody)
    Story of the Year – Choose Your Fate
    The Dangerous Summer - Fire
    The Hotelier - Life in Drag
    Future - Use Me
    Vince Staples - Big Fish
    Mew - Satellites
    Direct Hit! - Paid in Brains
    AFI - Kill Caustic
    Taylor Swift - State of Grace

SpyKi and beachdude42 like this.
  17. beachdude

Typhoon: A friend actually recommended me this whole album and I still needed to get to it haha... this song is cool! The slow acoustic beginning was making me think the whole song would be in that vein, it was really cool when the arrangement expanded into a full-band sound. Definitely gonna check out the rest of the album.

Architects: I've tried Architects before and didn't get that into them, I'm usually not the biggest metalcore person. However, I really dug the atmosphere on this one, I enjoyed this more than anything else I remember hearing by them. If this whole album was like this track, I'll have to check it.

Bleed American: This one is really catchy. I like the band name, but am also glad this doesn't sound that much like JEW haha, I feel like that would be a little too obvious. I dig this band for sure.

False King: I could tell as soon as the song started that it was building to something, but wow haha was not expecting it to get that heavy. The atmosphere on this song is phenomenal!! How much stuff do these guys have out?

18. skoopy

Regular

Really underrated from last year.

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. beachdude

There's some of these I haven't heard or haven't heard in a long time haha, thanks!

Yeah that's my thing too, I'm always bad at just digging into random genres or scenes I'm not familiar with and discovering lesser-known artists.

FTank likes this.
  20. beachdude

It is!! I love the groove this song has, very addictive. Thanks for the rec, gonna check out the rest of this album.

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. beachdude

Daaaaaaannnnngggg this is dope. The more post-rock sounding elements are really cool and elevate the song a lot.

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This pleases me

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. mescalineeyes

This is my band haha. We have an EP and 2 singles with an album coming in may.

And for architects, check out Gone with the Wind and Naysayer next!

SpyKi likes this.
  24. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'm going to give you the most random spread I can, since that's what breaks me out of slumps. Peruse at your leisure and if you want any follow-up recs or albums, fire away:

Post 1:

Disco:

Tropicalia:

Soul:

Soft-rock:

beachdude42 and ChaseTx like this.
  25. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Post II:

Pop-rock:

Jazz:

Americana: