Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Break beachdude42 Out of His Music Rut! (Rec thread; please read OP)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jan 21, 2018.

1. beachdude Jan 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2018)
    beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I feel like this is a really difficult request to make, but since we are on a music discussion site and so many of you have great taste and I trust your recommendations, here goes...

I've realized that I'm extremely stuck in a rut with my music listening recently, focusing mostly on old favorites. It's been many months since I've felt that sense of wonder and amazement at discovering a new artist/band that really blew me away and surprised me, and out of my top 30 artists on last.fm from the last three months, only two were even somewhat new to me. I don't know if it's because I'm too jaded already, or I'm in that narrow mindset of "I already know what I like"... but I feel confident that at 22, a huge fan of music like myself shouldn't already be feeling this stuck in a rut with their listening. And I *KNOW* there's still tons of great music out there that I want to discover!

So here's where I need the help of this amazing community! Based on my music taste, as meticulously documented on my Last.fm profile (linked at the bottom of this post), drop a suggestion of *ONE SONG PER ARTIST* I should listen to by a band/artist that you don't think I've heard or doesn't appear high up on my most-listened artists section, but that you think I'd enjoy! Feel free to recommend an album or albums for follow-up listening, but please give me one song to start with as this will keep things more manageable.

I'm not expecting you all to dig deep into my Last.fm, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could do a cursory glance of my top artists from the last year, last few months, or even all time (although my all-time list has some stuff I don't listen to as much nowadays) which I will link below, so that you can get a sense of some of my favorites, and artists/bands I haven't heard or haven't listened to enough! Recommendations can be from any genre, so if there's something that's totally different from what I currently listen to that you think I would love, I'd love to hear it. The same obviously goes for recs based on artists I already enjoy. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who participates!

*MY LAST.FM PROFILE -- MOST-PLAYED ARTISTS FROM LAST YEAR*
    beachdude42’s Library — Users at Last.fm

Craig Manning and mescalineeyes like this.
  2. beachdude

@CoffeeEyes17 @airik625 @angrycandy @Aj LaGambina @Chase Tremaine @ChaseTx @Corey Putney @Craig Manning @Craig Ismaili @cshadows2887 @Daniel182 @Dirty Sanchez @fenway89 @FTank @Greg @irthesteve @JamesMichael @kaylasananjou @Kiana @Letterbomb31 @mattylikesfilms @mescalineeyes @Michael Schmidt @neo506 @PandaBear! @redwing91007 @sawhney[rusted]2 @sophos34 @SpyKi @The Lucky Moose @TellYourFriends @TheWater(s)

There's so many people on here who have great taste, but I tagged you guys because I've had really great interactions with all of you and I trust your recommendations if you're willing to give any... If you aren't interested in this, sorry for clogging up your notifications!

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

This entire album is incredible, but you said one song! If you like it, definitely check out all of “Long Gone Before Daylight.”

beachdude42 and fenway89 like this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Cave In - Jupiter (album). Metalcore band goes space rock. Bands like Thrice cite them as a huge influence.

Also, sometimes when I feel like I’m in a rut like that, I step away from music entirely and do something else, or maybe I listen to something totally out of my wheelhouse. Just a thought

5. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I listened to it today! Very good.

Here’s my rec:

MikeyPaine and beachdude42 like this.
  6. Sheaver10

And what a way you won me over

I would recommend this to anyone who will listen.

7. ChaseTx Jan 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2018)
    ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Here's a playlist of things I've been listening to lately

Also I've been trying to fill in gaps of artists I hadn't listened to before I was into indie stuff. So things like Arcade Fire, Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos, Bright Eyes, Sufjan Stephens... Things I definitely should have heard but hadn't

Sorry that's not one song

8. atlas

Trusted

Since you requested one song, this particular one has ben a favorite of mine for the past 3 weeks or so

Eclipse, Turkeylegz and beachdude42 like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

beachdude42 and cherrywaves like this.
  10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. Sheaver10

And what a way you won me over

Also:

Transient_Hymn and beachdude42 like this.
  12. beachdude

Gonna dive into the stuff posted so far, thanks so much everyone!! Also I should’ve said one song PER ARTIST haha, so if anyone wants to go crazy with a bunch of different artist/song recs go for it!! Technically @ChaseTx you didn’t break the rules ;) Definitely gonna check your playlist thanks!

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. beachdude

Yeah I definitely agree with what you’re saying... I guess I just haven’t been putting enough effort in recently as far as finding things that are out of my wheelhouse, and there are definitely some days I don’t listen to anything really but recently that hadn’t helped much for whatever reason.

14. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Your list is like everything I played in high school but haven't listened to in years.

Try some Tricot, Ian Sweet, Mitski, Hiatus Kaiyote, maybe Crumb.

CarpetElf, beachdude42 and cwhit like this.
  15. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Typhoon - Remember
    because you liked: Manchester Orchestra, The Deer Hunter

Architects - Gravity

because you liked: Alexisonfire, Slaves, Emarosa

Bleed American - Worth it
    because you liked: Brand New, Acceptance

False King - Don't Kill Your Self

because you liked: GlassJaw, Dance Gavin Dance

amorningofsleep and beachdude42 like this.
  16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Wish I could help man but I'm stuck in a rut too, pretty much exactly how you describe! If anything I should be taking note of everyone's recommendation too but I feel tired thinking about music atm?!?!?!?. Guess I got problems; lost the passion or something!

I do notice a lack of Deftones on the last.fm though, so i rec 'Heaxagram' and 'Needles + Pins' - tracks 1 & 2 from their S/T album - purely because I'm obsessed with those songs atm and barely go a day without listening to both, not because I think they'll be "new" to you (I'm sure you heard 'em before! lol). The Eternity Forever EP too if you didn't check it out on release perhaps? That's all i've got :verysad:

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Here's seven to get you started!

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This band is very good

19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

20. beachdude

I really enjoyed this one!! Definitely gonna give the rest of the album a listen, I love this “alternative pop” sound.

Was planning to just check out one track and listen to the rest later, but I’m hooked on this whole album right now... In the Stream of Commerce is an incredible track! Can’t believe I had never listened to this band. Definitely reminds me of Failure who I just started listening to recently, but with its own twist too.

cherrywaves likes this.
  21. beachdude

This Cave In album, holy fuck...

22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I hear elements of Circa, Acceptance, MuteMath, As Tall As Lions, and Manchester Orchestra in this band/album:

23. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Nah ya'll are going the wrong direction, you don't break out of a rut with more similar sounding bands. You get interested in some weird shit that opens up new areas to explore.

Go listen to Smino, Wild Pink, and CAKE

CarpetElf and beachdude42 like this.
  24. beachdude

This is one I've actually heard haha, but not mad at all because this band is great. One of my friends got me listening to Keep You for the first time in quite a while, really excited for the new album.

Sheaver10 likes this.
  25. beachdude

Ooooh that has me intrigued just by the description haha... might check this song next tbh