Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (S. Craig Zahler, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by kyle, Aug 29, 2017.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Dragged Across Concrete is out now!!

airik625 likes this.
  2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

3 for 3

riotspray likes this.
  3. 159min?! That is a lengthy runtime. I'll check it out, though. Loved his first 2 movies.

airik625 likes this.
  4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Worth (almost) every minute, don’t think you feel the length — felt that way about his previous two, though.

riotspray and Joe like this.
  5. Good to hear. I don't remember feeling the length on his previous movies, so hopefully I feel the same about this one.

6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I can't wait. Hope I can get to it tonight. If not, definitely sometime this weekend.

7. Is it on demand?

8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, but I caught it at the one theater in my area playing it.

kyle likes this.
  9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

You can rent it on Amazon for $6.99. I'll try to catch it this week, excited

kyle likes this.
  10. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Thought it was great. Probably my least favorite of his three, but liked it so much in already wanting to watch it again.

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I love all 3, but I’d probably put Bone at the bottom. After Brawl and now Concrete, I couldn’t stop thinking about them after and wanted to rewatch right away.

Also, loved the people in my showing that clearly didn’t see Bone or Brawl and were like ???? walking out. Makes me think more people need to watch more, for example, Korean movies.

P.S. Kittles deserves as much praise as G*bson.

12. username

hey you lil piss baby

I was surprised that this film (Dragged Across Concrete) was not as blatantly right wing/MAGA as it was made out to be. There's definitely major questionable politics running through the whole thing and it's hard to tell if these characters are a mouthpiece for the director's own views or simply a portrayal of these people. Casting Gibson surely doesn't aid in figuring that out either. But I thought the film itself was kinda outstanding. Loved the way it was lit, and the whole post-Tarantino crime film filtered through Slow Cinema aesthetic really worked for me. I really liked how baggy and drawn out so much of it felt, actually portraying the tedium of stakeouts etc. For a 159 minute film so intent filling itself with dead air, it is still really engrossing.

I think Adam Nayman's piece for The Ringer does a pretty excellent job at grappling with the film. ‘Dragged Across Concrete’ Pushes Buttons Until They Break

13. airik625

riotspray likes this.
  14. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

finally saw Dragged Across Concrete

Will watch Any thing he does

Even though I feel guilty because he's conservitive, his films just have a very specific tone, and are very brutal.

jkauf, SpyKi and riotspray like this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

His movies have all been awesome. Need another one now.

jkauf, Youarcade and airik625 like this.
  16. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Might check out one of his novels

17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Watched all three of Zahler’s movies this weekend and loved all three. I’m in for anything he does.

riotspray, jkauf, SpyKi and 1 other person like this.
  18. airik625

Favorite of the 3? Brawl In Cell Block 99 and Bone Tomahawk are both incredible.

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Brawl In Cell Block 99 is probably my favourite. Just had me enthralled the entire time.

20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Brawl is probably my favorite, Bone Tomahawk is just too brutal. It’s great but hard to watch.

the second half of Dragged is phenomenal but it definitely takes it time getting there.

21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This is on prime to rent for 99 cents so I’ll probably finally watch it this week.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it’s probably on @Joycean ’s streaming service

spiffa0, angrycandy, airik625 and 2 others like this.
  23. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Bone had my favorite dialogue, but Brawl was just so much fun to watch. I really like how economical his stories are from a plotting perspective. Like he just hits the story running and then fills in the spaces with really interesting scenes.

Dragged was great, loved the performances by Gibson, Vaughn, and Kittles, but it probably could have been a little shorter.

I also enjoy how even the side characters feel fully realized. Like Kittles’ partner (biscuit?) could have easily just been a kind of empty side character but Zahler takes the time to give everyone a personality, even if they’re not a huge part of the story.

riotspray likes this.
  24. I think Bone Tomahawk is my favorite. It’s brutal but I love the cast and I’m a sucker for westerns.

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was whatever. Needed to be about 45 minutes shorter. Much preferred Bone and haven’t seen dragged yet.