Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, that's why I bring it up, for Khriss and her companion. Worth pointing out the comic seems to be following the book pretty much scene for scene so you'll presumably get the same story from the novel.

tucah likes this.
  2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I started up Secret History

uh

IT'S ABOUT KELSIER POST DEATH?!

what the fuck

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Lol my reaction too. Its insane

4. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Thanks for the heads up, I figured there'd be some things in there I would want to skip for now. Still want to crack it open prior to WoR plus read a few of the short stories I got in the bundle a month or two ago. But I'll take what you've said under advisement so I don't spoil anything for myself. Cheers. :)

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Sanderson posted a little blog post celebrating the fact that Oathbringer is 100% finished and edited now.

Oathbringer’s Final Step

Of note is a slight change to his writing schedule, where Wax and Wayne 4 is pushed back a year from its original projected 2018 release date so we have 2 years without Cosmere content from him (excluding the strong possibility the novella is Cosmere related, and not counting a new volume of White Sand):

June–August: Apocalypse Guard One (Fall 2018 Release)
    Early September: Legion 3 (Sometime 2018 Release)
    Late September–December: Apocalypse Guard Two (Mid 2019 Release)
    Late December: Random Novella
    January–March: Apocalypse Guard Three (Mid 2020 Release)
    April–July: Wax and Wayne Four (Series finale, Fall 2019 Release)
    August–December: Undecided (Rithmatist 2, maybe?)
    All months: Stormlight Four (Fall 2020 Release)

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Rithmatist 2 please and thank you. That first novel is so adorably fun.

7. tucah

not champ Prestigious

After peeking in earlier in the week just to see a bit of what it's about, finally sat down and read through Secret History. Man, that was so, so good and such a vital piece of the Cosmere.

Just having another story with Kelsier was enough of a joy but there's so much interesting stuff in here - Khriss explaining the Cosmere and Shards, seeing people from Sel, having much of the story about Kelsier's interactions with Ruin and Preservation (which I really liked considering the strong emphasis on Wax's struggles with Harmony in the last two W&W books) and ending on an emotional cliffhanger of sorts teasing a further Spook and Kelsier adventure?! Oh, and how could I forget one of the most memorable Hoid appearances to date. Just so good. I really hope he gets around to Secret History 2 sooner or later. I'm so curious to see where the Mistborn series goes from here.

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

WE'RE ONE WEEK AWAY

Vivatoto, Garrett L. and Dave Diddy like this.
  9. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

This thread just came up in my notifications to remind me that I have three Mistborn books on my shelf and never finished The Way of Kings (which I started, coincidentally, this time last year.) Time to do that, guess.

10. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I've only read The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance so far. What should I read next?

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

The novella Edgedancer to finish up the Stormlight books if you're planning on getting to Oathbringer next week/soon.

If you want a full length novel, Warbreaker is a good one-off and one of my favorites of his.

12. Garrett

Oathbringer on Tuesday

13. Vivatoto

Sounds like the character from Edgedancer is going to have a role in Oathbringer so probably a good idea to squeeze that in before tuesday.

14. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I've read that one as well. It was great. Lift is one of my favorite characters from anything I've read in the last forever. She's so awesome!

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

I kinda felt like Lift was a bit much, ha, she reminded me of the bad parts of the Steelheart main character always needing to be "funny" and sarcastic. Definitely more than willing to spend more time with her

16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

She was fun in the interlude, kinda got a little...less so after spending more time with her in Edgedancer but I still like her just fine.

Hype is hitting me real hard for Oathbringer - 2/3 through a WoR reread, should time it + a quick Edgedancer reread up to right before Tuesday.

17. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

You are the Cosmere master my friend! I'd like to be able to ask you questions whenever. You're fairly active in this thread? So really just email him and ask for the unpublished novel and he'll send it? How crazy is fantasy!

18. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I can see why people wouldn't like her. But just the idea of her origins, the way she can invest stormlight through eating food, and her attitude all make me love her as a character. I love me a reluctant hero. I know it's part of the hero's journey and all but I'm always a sucker for it and I think this one is being handled very well.

tucah likes this.
  19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Sign up for his newsletter: Newsletter Signup, after you confirm it you'll get an email that includes a link to the unfinished/unpublished version of White Sand.

FlayedManOfSF likes this.
  20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Man, WoR's last act is so good. A little thing I didn't pick up on/know about last time I read it but makes more sense now: WoR/Warbreaker spoilers I only recently stumbled upon the fact that Sanderson's original draft for Warbreaker had Hoid named Dust, which is what Zahel calls Hoid in WoR. Not anything major but a neat little fact.

Vivatoto likes this.
  21. Vivatoto

There's also another non-cosmere related fantasy story called Aether of Night the he'll send to you if you ask him in an email. It's also very good, I think a lot of it turned into Elantris. It's a full on fantasy epic, really interesting to see something Sanderson considers not good enough to be published when any other fantasy author would kill for something like that. As far as Lift, I do find a lot of things about the way that she reacts to Stormlight cool, it was just mainly her sarcastic attitude and using words like awesomness (I think that's what she said). I'm being overly hard on her though, I'm excited to see how she fits in. Funny enough, I do not remember her being in an interlude. I really should have done a reread before Tuesday, ha.

22. Garrett

Lift had an interlude in both books, yeah? The only one who did iirc.

Just finished Edgedancer. Is it Tuesday yet?

23. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Lift's only in WoR. Not counting the epilogues with Hoid, Rysn is the only character to have interludes in both.

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I'm excited for the next Stormlight Archive book but I can't forgot what exactly happened in the old ones

25. Vivatoto

Woot, literally just got the shipping confirmation from amazon ten minutes ago.

Garrett L. likes this.