Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I love these too

[​IMG]

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Planned to about eight months ago, but finally getting around to the Wax and Wayne books. Only a bit into the first, Kindle says 14%, so I can't really judge or say anything yet but the setting seems pretty interesting so far. A little forced with a lot of places named after first trilogy characters, but that's to be expected. Just want to be fully caught up on the Cosmere in time for Oathbringer.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Powering through six Mistborn books before November suddenly seems like a very tall order. I want to re-read the first since it's been five years (how does time fly that fast) already.

4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Finished up Alloy of Law. I liked it overall though it's definitely one of my least favorites of Sanderson's work. It's a very quick, enjoyable read and the main trio is wonderful with some good chemistry and interactions between all three. It still felt like a Mistborn book despite the change in time period/setting and it was kind of cool to have a sort of steampunk-y world, pretty unique among Cosmere works so far. The action was good, allomancy and feruchemy continue to be super interesting.

It's the last few chapters of the book, though, that get me pretty excited to see what the next two have in store - freaked out a little when Sazed spoke to Wax and then REALLY freaked out when Marsh showed up at the end. Saw Wax's uncle being Suit/behind the whole thing coming from a mile away but it was still a good hook for the sequels, look forward to eventually seeing what his sister is like as well.

Mostly I enjoyed the work it did setting up this Era of Mistborn, getting me attached to some of the characters and hooking me in for the books that will follow. I think I'll dive into SoS tomorrow.

5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Starting in a week, TOR.com will be releasing 3 chapters online every Tuesday leading up to the release of the book.

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

7. Garrett

I preordered the audiobook, which thankfully should match the chapters so I'm gonna read as they come out then immediately make the jump on release day.

8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I like to have longer reading sessions so the weekly chapters would kill me, hah. I do think I might go through everything that's released the weekend before though.

Also, in other personal Cosmere news, finished Shadows of Self. Definitely a step up from AoL, liked the larger, more fleshed out supporting cast, even heavier ties to the original trilogy and the plot and villain were just more interesting in this one. The reveal about Lessie at the end was rouuuuugh. A little disappointed they didn't touch on Wax's sister at all but I guess that's what the next book is for. Probably gonna get through the last one in a couple days then FINALLY on to the last bit left unread, Secret History. I have zero idea what that one is even about so super curious to read it.

Vivatoto likes this.
  9. Vivatoto

Yeah no way I'm doing weekly chapters, I'll wait until release.

10. Vivatoto

Secret History is going to blow your mind. I was in the same position as you, not knowing anything about it...but it's fucking big.

Also don't read Bands of Mourning thinking its the final book in the trilogy, because it's not, I think a few of us thought it was but there's another one coming and you'll be disappointed if you're looking for answers.

tucah likes this.
  11. Garrett

I'm finishing up this trilogy I'm reading and then blitzing the seven Cosmere books I'm behind on. The six Mistborn may kill me. That's so much long reading. I've only been doing short books most of this year.

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. Garrett

13. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Only semi-related, but my Kickstarter-backed copy of Mistborn: House War arrived a couple days ago. It looks fantastic. Haven't been able to try it out yet; it's for 3+ players and just my wife and I here at home. Probably going to get some friends together soon and try it out.

Also holding off on Oathbringer, partially because I still haven't read Words of Radiance, partially because I'd rather wait for the hardcover anyway. Cool they're doing the staggered release though, for those that want a head start.

14. Garrett

Haven't read words of Radiance how do that right now go go go go go

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  15. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

@Garrett L. I've been a diehard Sanderson fan for a long time—I'm from Provo and attended BYU for my bachelor's, so I was at his launch for Elantris and have attended probably a dozen of his signings since then, my parents even took him out to dinner on a book tour once—but I fell behind on his writing a couple years back and have been struggling to catch up ever since. That's really just my problem across the board, though—too many books, too many great series, too little time.

But I will read WOR. Soon. Gotta do Shadows of Self and The Bands of Mourning and probably Arcanum Unbounded first. Then WOR. It's okay though, I've got until Oathbringer is out in paperback before I buy it. :)

Garrett L. likes this.
  16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

My biggest shame is somehow dropping WoR 150 pages in back in 2014 after being hyped as hell for its release...then, of course, loving the hell out of the book after I finally finished it last year. Hell, even though it's only been a year since I last read it I'm still sort of tempted to try and reread both Stormlight books before Oathbringer.

On a side note, Bands of Mourning is pretty great so far, about a third in. Really glad to be getting more time with Steris in particular, fleshing out her relationship with Wax is a smart move.

Garrett L. likes this.
  17. Garrett

Hey @Vivatoto is it better to read WoR before or after Ars Arcanum?

18. Vivatoto

I'm pretty sure they talk about the events of WoR in Edgedancer, or at least go off of the knowledge from that. They're not like super connected like Secret History to Mistborn. I think you'd want to read WoR first.

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. Garrett

Thanks. I figured @OwainGlyndwr may want to revise his order of reading but only knew you'd completed them all.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Yep, definitely do not read Edgedancer without having read WoR first - some things get spoiled, plus you wouldn't have even been introduced the central character yet.

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Bands of Mourning down. I ended up enjoying it a lot but man, I just need to see what happens next now. The past two books were really good, I really grew to love this cast of characters. On to Arcanum Unbounded later today. I've read bits and pieces of it (the Elantris stories and Edgedancer) but now I'll fiiiiinally get around to digging into the rest. Gonna head straight for Secret History though. I keep seeing that it's super important, WHAT IS IT ABOUT? Can't wait to find out.

22. Vivatoto

@tucah have you read White Sand?

23. Garrett

I wanna be current and in on the fun discussionssssss

I also want to find White Sand for cheaper than $19 so I can read it.

24. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I have not, though I do have a copy of the novel. I was planning on waiting for all volumes of the comic to be released to read it since that's the "official" published version, I do know [White Sand/Cosmere spoilers?] Khriss is from White Sand which...really intrigues me.

25. Vivatoto

The graphic novel is only 1/3 of the story at this point and they're working pretty slow...If you want the whole story, which I completely recommend, you need to email Brandon from his site asking for it. They'll send you the unpublished novel. It's pretty important to the cosmere/Secret history