Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 36

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

this whole campaign has made me need some sanderson so i'm finally digging into skyward, ~3/4 in and it's a lot of fun, feels like a lot of setup but it's a breezy, enjoyable read so far.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  2. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

I love the Skyward books precisely because they’re just fun and breezy like you said. They’re compelling, and the plot gets bonkers as the series goes on (in a great way), but above everything they’re just a good time to read.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I still need to do the novellas and Cytonic.

4. GBlades

Trusted

Cytonic is definitely written different. I had to double check that it wasn't someone else. It's a great story but my least favourite of the 3 so far.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  5. OwainGlyndwr

I definitely disagree. It’s my favorite of the three and felt more Sanderson than the rest to me. But to each their own, of course.

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. GBlades

Trusted

Don't get me wrong, it's a great story! There was just something different about it that i couldn't quite put my finger on. Not a bad story in any way at all, just my least favourite of the 3 (not that its bad).

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  7. OwainGlyndwr

Yeah I do think it was definitely different than the other two in significant ways. I mean, plot wise, you've got the initial flight training stuff in book one, which builds naturally to the infiltration stuff in book two, but then jumping into the nowhere and the pirates and the delvers and all that is orders of magnitude greater than the difference between the first two books, so I for sure see what you're saying. Incredibly excited for Defiant either way though lol.

GBlades likes this.
  8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

One last campaign post before the final stream/campaign ends, pre order store for those who didn't back will be up immediately after the Kickstarter ends, those who did back will get a survey in a couple weeks for their size info/adding in additional items if they want.

Book 1 ebook/audiobook releases January 2nd, physical book will also ship then so it'll take a little bit.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  9. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, I'm so sick of reading about school of any sort in fantasy or sci fi. I thought the third book was way better than the rest.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  10. OwainGlyndwr

Barnes & Noble is having a 25% off online sale on preorders for the next couple days. I'm going to snag The Lost Metal this way, I think.

GBlades likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

UK Cover Reveal:

[​IMG]

12. OwainGlyndwr

Good heavens that's a lovely cover.

13. Garrett

where's our us cover tho

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  14. OwainGlyndwr

Okay, here's a thought. Favorite non-novel of Sanderson's? Short story or novella or audio exclusive or whatever, in the Cosmere or out: what's your favorite?

15. Garrett

Secret History is the only answer, right?

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  16. OwainGlyndwr

It's not my answer, but it's certainly a good one. haha

Garrett likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

If Secret History didn't exist it would be Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell, partly because that's the greatest name ever, but also because it's a fantasy horror story, which I find rarely works, even though it's my two favorite things put together, and somehow Sanderson is the one to pull it off.

But like Secret History had such big reveals, so it wins.

OwainGlyndwr and Garrett like this.
  18. OwainGlyndwr

I think my favorite is honestly Sixth of the Dusk. Even with the reveals of Secret History and its ramifications in the larger Cosmere, I just really love SOTD as a story: the mix of magic and exploration really works for me.

Non-Cosmere, I really enjoyed Snapshot and Perfect State a whole lot.

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. OwainGlyndwr

US cover reveal coming Thursday

Garrett and Spazzy McGee like this.
  20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

OwainGlyndwr and GBlades like this.
  21. Garrett

One day we'll have better covers than the UK versions... right?

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  22. OwainGlyndwr

I actually really like the US W&W covers; I think they fit the stories super well. But overall Sanderson UK (and Chinese, and Brazilian) covers are usually just so beautiful that I can help feeling jealous.

either way, those red skies don’t bode well

Garrett likes this.
  23. OwainGlyndwr

Finished Oathbringer. What a ride.

I'm now only two stories away from having read everything* in the Cosmere: Dawnshard and Rhythm of War. Very excited for those. I'm going to take a bit of a buffer for the next month or so, read a couple other things on my backlog, and then I'll be diving back into those. I'm really excited to be back on the "front lines" for Sanderson after being behind for a long time—soon I'll be able to read stuff on release day like I used to.

Of course, I also need to read Reckoners, Rithmatist, Legion, and catch up on Alcatraz, so I've got a ways for all his stuff, haha.

*not counting things like Aether of Night, Way of Kings Prime, and I suppose I have access to the Dragonsteel draft he used as his MA thesis if I wanted it. I'll definitely read WOK Prime sometime at least.

24. OwainGlyndwr

Tickets became available this morning for Dragonsteel 2022.

Snagged mine! VIP was gone almost immediately, but that's okay. This year they're offering a W&W-specific swag bundle, a Dragonsteel one, and then of course the book. I opted for the book and the Dragonsteel stuff, but I will doubtless be persuaded to grab everything at some point between now and November.

No-brainer for me: it's being held in Salt Lake City this time, literally a five-minute walk from where I live, haha. Anyone else think you'll go?

Garrett likes this.
  25. Garrett

I don’t have enough vacation to go. I’ll be jealous again!