Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Calamity, the third book in Brandon's Reckoners series is also part of the sale. Just to bring it back to the thread.

Additionally, I purchased Warbreaker and Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. So it was a nice day.

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Oh gotcha. I'm somewhere in the middle of the fifth season of Writing Excuses, I think. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other podcast I was missing.

With Writing Excuses, I tend to binge-listen to ten or twelve episodes in a row (which means I typically don't do more than one out of five of the exercises, which is a shame), so I make myself take a break afterward and catch up on some of the other podcasts I like. But this is a good reminder to get back to it soon.

Anyway. Sanderson rules.

3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Vivatoto and scottlechowicz like this.
  4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Great news.

Although 11 months is so far away.

5. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

So stoked. But that's such a long time to wait.

The book will be fucking massive.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

462000 words is obscene.

7. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

amazing

8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

For reference, Words of Radiance is about 400k words (but IIRC he cut something like 40k from first draft to final)

9. Garrett

Yeah. The average cut between first draft and final product is usually 10-20%. Still absurd that his cuts from this will potentially be as long as my entire novel.

tucah likes this.
  10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Finally finished the second Mistborn trilogy. This was a lot more fun / enjoyable for me than the initial trilogy. It wasn't on the same scale story wise, but I appreciated the characters more.

Next up is either Ken Liu's Grace of Kings, or Warbreaker.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

State of the Sanderson 2016

State of the Sanderson '16 is up. The tl;dr of it: he spent most of the year working on Stormlight 3 (obviously) and realized that it's better to promise a Stormlight book every three years instead of every 2. The last Wax and Wayne book is scheduled for 2018 (and will be the last Mistborn book for a while) , and Stormlight 4 for 2020. With Mistborn done for the near future post-Wax and Wayne, he wants to alternate Elantris sequels and Stormlight books, so there's a slight chance he chooses to work on Elantris 2 before Stormlight 4.

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

Damn, I'm reading Bands of Mourning right now and I thought this was the last Wax and Wayne book, was looking forward to a big, trilogy ending climax.

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

A focus on Stormlight and Elantris suits me just fine going forward.

14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Ha! I just finished that book a few days ago under the same impression. I was a little perplexed by the ending. But now it makes more sense.

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I'm honestly more interested in a Warbreaker sequel than an Elantris sequel as I found that world more intriguing but I'm definitely curious to see him tackle the world of Elantris now that he's grown and become a better writer since Elantris. Also, Words of Radiance spoilers: I guess I'll get a little fill of Warbreaker with Vasher in the series and Szeth getting Nightblood.

16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Currently reading Warbreaker. I'm 14 chapters in and I am enjoying it so far.

tucah likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

Nothing makes me more giddy than a Hoid sighting.

tucah likes this.
  18. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I always have such a stupid grin on my face whenever Hoid shows up, such a fun character.

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Also seems it has a more specific date of November 14th, and there's an official synopsis. Nothing too surprising if you've finished WoR but spoilers just in case.

In Oathbringer, the third volume of the New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive, humanity faces a new Desolation with the return of the Voidbringers, a foe with numbers as great as their thirst for vengeance.

Dalinar Kholin’s Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost: The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction, and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified.

Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar’s blood-soaked past and stand together―and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past―even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Garrett

LET'S GOOOOOOO

tucah and scottlechowicz like this.
  22. Vivatoto

Finally got around to reading Arcanum Unbounded, I've had it since release day but I put it off while I was finishing the Wheel of Time. I had no idea Khriss was the one writing the Ars Arcanums, that's INSANE. Like mindblown. It's also insane that he's not officially releasing White Sand since its becoming pretty damn important. How the hell did she get there? Wtf is going on? Wth is Silverlight?!?

I also figured that Secret History was going to be like Emperor's Soul where it's a great one off story but doesn't really have much to do with anything, so I was surprised when that ended up being probably the most important cosmere story yet and answered a lot of questions from the original Mistborn trilogy. I like that Kelsier is going to be important going forward, he's one of my favorites, one of the most flawed "hero" I've ever read. Though I have to admit I thought the way he died, flaws intact, was super powerful and resurrections always worry me.

Sort of disappointed in Edgedancer. I did not like Lift very much. She's just like the main character from the Reckoners, every single sentence is sarcasm or a childish joke and I have an issue with not finding that stuff funny at all. He did better with Wayne and Mat (from WoT) but it's still something I don't feel he excels at. Feels like a leftover from his kids books. I did like her more near the end though, so she could grow on me. As long Sanderson doesn't write "awesomeness" into every single fucking sentence.

23. Garrett

About to read Elantris for the first time.

I have all six Mistborn books (only read the first) and Arcanum on my shelf. Hope to get through them by the end of the year.

OwainGlyndwr and Vivatoto like this.
  24. Garrett

Time to start planning a back piece

Vivatoto and tucah like this.
  25. Vivatoto

I get the warmest feeling looking at that picture and remembering that insanity. Has to be one of the best battles ever right?

Garrett L. likes this.