Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Just started the second Mistborn book. I'm trying to finish the first trilogy and then Arcanum Unbounded before the new Stormlight book is out.

Are the Wax and Wayne books considered essential reading, or is it more of an offshoot series?

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Wax and Wayne can be skipped until after Rhythm of War.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  3. GBlades

Trusted

I think if it's a Stormlight re-read I'd just personally go Warbreaker > Way of Kings > Words of Radiance > Edgedance > Oathbringer. Sure there's other Cosmere references but I doubt I'd have the time for a full read before Rhythm of War BUT a few of us in the subreddit may have gotten access to some ARCs so.... :eh:

4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

For RoW? Not essential. Read them eventually though. Book 1 is perhaps my least favorite Cosmere book but still an enjoyable time, some growing pains establishing the new time period. Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning are excellent however.

5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

this was my original thought but...i was just kinda in the mood for mistborn too

probably should have just done those four books + edgedancer and waited to see if i had time for mistborn but OH WELL TOO LATE NOW

6. Garrett

excuse me

tucah likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

My sister actually has a loan of my Mistborn books but sometimes you just gotta do them all! I have The Blade Itself, Jade City, Fires of Heaven amongst many others to read and I still want to do a re-read. Probably end up just reading the Tor chapter summaries. No doubt do a full re-read after this one.

:concerned:

tucah likes this.
  8. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i have about a billion books i still need to read but i'll put them all on hold for a reread, outside of the trouble with peace next month.

9. Garrett

I would like to be cool enough for that subreddit.

I'm on book ten of Wheel of Time (eleven of my re-read). Going to take a brief break from fantasy for 2-3 books, then dive into my stormlight re-read.

10. Garrett

I need to put together a list of my TBR piles to try and attack it in a meaningful way.

The Books A Million by my house is going out of business due to COVID, so I've already spent $200 there and it's a Problem.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

the major question for me is if i will ever stop getting distracted from wheel of time and finally read past the first book

12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i say "yes, that's my next big project" but i've also said something similar for like three years now (and for the like ten years prior that eye of the world sat on my shelf)

Garrett likes this.
  13. Garrett

I'm reading the worst book (universal consensus) at the moment of the series and still enjoying it. If you're in, you're kinda all the way in. I believe in you, hahaha

tucah likes this.
  14. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I've decided to start The Wheel of Time after I finish Rhythm of War.

SmashRipsaw, tucah and Garrett like this.
  15. GBlades

Trusted

My TBR is growing so much and I thought I had it down to a handful of books but nope, right back up there!

You're accepted in all of those subreddits!! I definitely need to sort my TBR and see what I would genuinely read and what's just there for the sake of it. New Evan Winters book is soon, too, actually.

tucah likes this.
  16. GBlades

Trusted

I still can't get past Fires of Heaven and it's not a WoT issue. It's more of a "wow, here's another fantasy series I need in my life" issue and I keep putting it off.

17. Garrett

That would involve me actually understanding how Reddit works, haha.

18. GBlades

Trusted

Well, I'm not THAT good hahaha.

Garrett likes this.
  19. Garrett

The climax of Fires of Heaven until the climax of Lord of Chaos rival any GoT novel for complexity of plot, imo. It was Jordan at his peak. (Which, tbh, The Shadow Rising is also one of the best fantasy novels ever, period, so it's hard for most of the series to live up to it.)

20. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i honestly don’t know why i haven’t gotten further in WoT considering EotW is the most instantly enthralled i’ve been with a book in a long, long time

Garrett likes this.
  21. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Same.

It's funny, I keep trying to read books from other genres, but keep coming back to the fantasy stuff. Why not start another massive fantasy series?

22. GBlades

Trusted

Don't get me wrong, I've reaaaaally liked the other 4 books. I think I just got bottled down with work and then I read some Discworld and then Shorefall came out and I just keep getting distracted!

23. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Re: White Sand. Should I read the prose version or the graphic novels?

24. Garrett

SmashRipsaw and OwainGlyndwr like this.
  25. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Dig it.