Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tucah, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Ugh Amazon has been late with all of my packages recently so it doesn't look like I'll be getting it today. Currently reading Shadows of Self so I wouldn't read it today anyway but I wanted to look at it!

2. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I have never read any of his work, but love listening to the guy talk on a writing podcast I listen to. I just had a friend sing praises of Stormlight, said he's been listening to the audiobook and it's absolutely ridiculously good. I've been on a hard sci-fi binge, but torn between either starting the first Stormlight book or Danielewski's The Familiar series next.

3. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I've just recently entered this world. I read Elantris and the Stormlight books. I'm about to finish the first Mistborn trilogy.

I loved Stormlight & Elantris. I really haven't enjoyed Mistborn so much. The story is engaging, but I pretty much hate the two main viewpoint characters (Vin and Elend). Not sure where I am going to go from here.

Maybe Warbreaker?

5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Warbreaker might be my favorite of his work outside of Stormlight, definitely read that.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Yeah Warbreaker is excellent.

Vin is also one of my favorite characters ever...Kelsier too, haha

7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Warbreaker did nothing for me.

8. Vivatoto

Just finished Shadows of Self. Still a great trilogy but pales in comparison to the first. It's still insane to me there isn't a Mistborn video game, the world is fucking up.

9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Really? the only viewpoint character I care for at this point is Sazed.

Mercifully, the trilogy is almost over and I can leave them behind.

So far my biggest issue with Sanderson books is that sometimes characters keep information from other characters for some (in my opinion) super contrived reasons. But I love the world building he does soooooooo much.

10. Vivatoto

Yeah love them both, characters like Breeze and Ham aren't super interesting to me though. I also love Marsh.

Haha, yeah, totally agree with you on that, it would usually bug me more if Sanderson wasn't such a great writer because I hate stuff like that. I recall that happening a lot in Elantris too.

11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha. Yeah, Elantris had a lot of that. I almost edited my post to mention Elantris specifically.

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The second Mistborn trilogy covers a different time period and different characters, right?

(Not sure if the answer to this will spoil the end of the first trilogy for me. So I haven't looked into it yet.)

13. Vivatoto

Yeah, hundreds of years have past since the first trilogy. They've hit a sort of industrial age and use guns among things. Sort of has a western/cowboy vibe to it. If you read any of the Reckoners trilogy, it's very similar to that.

Very quick easy reads you can do in one long session or two or three normal ones.

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Edgedancer was very good, Lift is a fun character. Now time to start on the second Mistborn trilogy, then Secret History and I'm finally all caught up on the Cosmere. Except White Sand, I guess, but I think I want to wait until all the graphic novels are out to start that up.

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Garrett

My goal of getting through the Cosmere this year didn't happen. But I also don't own about half the books. Definitely would like to be all caught up by the time I finish Oathbreaker (assuming that comes out next fall).

Vivatoto likes this.
  16. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

It's called Writing Excuses - he does it with I think three other authors. Really short, easy to listen to, with interesting exercises at the end of each episode.

Also, started Way of Kings. Love it so far.

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Officially finished the Mistborn trilogy last night.

I was fairly happy with the way it resolved. It did get a little tedious for me around book two because, as I've said previously, I did not enjoy Vin or Elend as characters. But Mr. Sanderson's strong world building kept me engaged enough to see it through.

I am beginning to see that as a bit of a pattern as it relates to these books, and it would probably be my only real "criticism" of Mr. Sanderson. While the worlds I am transported to often hold a vice grip on my imagination, I have yet to really be enthralled by one of his characters. I guess the closest I have come thus far would be Kal in the Stormlight Archive.

But I have to wonder what role audiobooks play in this sentiment. This is the first year I started listening to audiobooks as my primary method of engaging a story. And I can't help but imagine that having someone provide the voice (as opposed to my brain providing the voice in my head) goes a long way in removing myself from the character. Perhaps the physical act of reading created a closeness that I haven't been able to replicate with audiobooks? Which is why I can gush over the plot but not the characters? I don't know, just something that I have been thinking about lately.

Next up is either Book 4 of Mistborn or the Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.

18. Garrett

Words of Radiance audiobook was one of my best audiobook experiences. Paced in circles for hours to finish the book, stress eating in the kitchen.

19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

That's awesome!

I found myself really engaged in the ending of Way of Kings. I don't think I reached your levels of stress, but I was really anxious! Same goes for certain parts of the IT audiobook, which were extremely tense.

Garrett L. likes this.
  20. Garrett

If you've not read it yet, Ready Player One is the best audiobook experience I've ever had.

21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I bought it on audible but haven't listened yet!

I might have to move it up on my list. Thanks!

Garrett L. likes this.
  22. Garrett

Audible is my addiction. I bought 11 books in their Black Friday sale over the weekend. Ends today if you need the temptation, haha.

23. Garrett

Related to this thread, both Elantris and Warbreaker are included in the sale.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Same. I am sucker for those "Hey! Get 3 credits for $30" things they often throw at me.

I didn't even think to check out Audible for any cyber monday sales. I am gonna check it out right now.

25. Garrett

I got Fellowship and Two Towers to go with The Hobbit I picked up a few weeks ago. It's about time for my re-read of the greatest story ever.