Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brandi Carlile - By The Way, I Forgive You (February 16,2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah I still skip "hold out your hand" every time but I really like this album. Fell out of rotation a little during the summer but with fall here now it'll come back around.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

She got nominations in 3/4 top Grammy categories. Pretty awesome.

Zac Djamoos and chhholly123 like this.
  3. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

That is crazy! I listen to this all the time but forgot it came out this year haha.

4. Craig Manning

I don't think anyone was predicting any of those. Easily the best song nominated in Song or Record of the Year, though.

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

So happy for her. She's been working towards this steadily for years.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Such a pleasant surprise. I expect Kacey to pop up in Album, but was not expecting Brandi.

7. Craig Manning

Already seen a few “who the hell is Brandi Carlile and why did she get six nominations?!” tweets. Boy, not looking forward to that trend.

8. chhholly123

I mean she definitely feels like the outlier in that list. Hopefully she gets some more fans from this.

9. Craig Manning

I just don’t understand why people feel the need to broadcast their ignorance. If you don’t know who she is, go find out for yourself! Not that hard. I don’t know who H.E.R. is, but I’m not out on Twitter acting like my own lack of knowledge is a good reason for this artist to not be nominated for an award.

cshadows2887 and chhholly123 like this.
  10. cshadows2887

Literally in my first conversation about the awards (with Eva, of course) text #2 was "I've never even heard of H.E.R. so I def need to listen to that record". I will never understand people who react otherwise.

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

It's just like what happened with Bon Iver and Arcade Fire

Anyway I need to revisit this album

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. chhholly123

Video for Party of One is out, featuring Elisabeth Moss. Pretty cool.

Party of One

13. djwildefire

Trusted

“Hold Out Your Hand” is a complete dud to me. “The Joke” and “The Mother” are the real standouts to me. I don’t put this among her best albums despite the acclaim it’s been getting. I still think The Story and Bear Creek are far better.

Still, she’s always amazing live so if you ever get a chance to see her, do it!

14. dotKev

@dotkevin

Didn't really watch the Grammys but I was really happy to see her get some well-deserved recognition last night.

I still listen to this semi-regularly.

15. Craig Manning

Should have won Song of the Year.

BornToRun, chhholly123 and dotKev like this.
  16. chhholly123

I wish she had won a major award, but her performance really was the best of the night. Hopefully people were still tuned in.

BornToRun and dotKev like this.
  17. cshadows2887

She had a star-making performance last night. Hopefully it does just that for her.

18. CAC3

Dog

So I had never listened to Brandi Carlile before and decided I would check this album out after watching the Grammys.

Wow. By The Way, I Forgive You hit me like few albums do nowadays. This was one of those magical experiences where I instantly connected to the music coming through my headphones and the songs demanded my full attention. So powerful and emotionally resonating. The Joke, Hold Out Your Hand, The Mother, and Sugartooth are the instant standouts to me.

For someone who is new to Brandi's music, how does everyone rank her other albums? What should I dive into next?

BornToRun and cshadows2887 like this.
  19. cshadows2887

She's never released a dud. Start at the s/t and move forward chronologically. Go backwards from now. You legit can't miss.

20. djwildefire

Trusted

The Story and Bear Creek are my two favorites.

21. chhholly123

By the Way > Give Up the Ghost > Bear Creek > Firewatcher's Daughter > The Story

Her live album is awesome too!

22. cshadows2887

Dude you missed the s/t, which is probably her best.

23. chhholly123

I don’t really think it’s on the level of her other records, but it’s good. Everything from The Story on is at least an 8 out of 10. But I think it’s great that everyone is a different favorite! She has an incredible catalogue.

djwildefire likes this.
  24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Performance was incredible. I've never listened to her before but I just picked up her last three albums and I can't wait to dive in.

chhholly123 and djwildefire like this.
  25. navidson

Regular

Glad she's finally receiving all the praise she deserved for this album - All the attention seemed to be focused on 'The Tree' by Lori McKenna (another fine album - but not a patch on this)