Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New Band • Page 864

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Kuri44

Absolutely, I think it’s baffling that because seeing words may make some people uncomfortable, they feel they have the right to come in and criticize those who still want to talk about the band, and/or memories associated with them.

Yes, you have the right to share your opinions. And Y’all have, very clearly, stated your concerns and opinions regarding the status of this forum, and it’s been overruled.
    You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to accept it, but unfortunatly you should be expected to tolerate it existing at this point.

That can be applied to many things we all agree upon.

Think of this forum as a safe space where people can, should, and will continue to come in here and speak without the fear(really, annoyance at this point) of being put down just for bringing BN up, not even defending the actions or the band members.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Fuck off, that’s not what she was saying

Jesse West likes this.
  3. I'm posting on another forum, and last year when we all learned about Melanie Martinez's sexual assault, the thread got quickly heated in a very similar way, as insensitive users started bumping the threads over and over again regardless of how it makes others feel. It got worse as a very few would even defend her. So the mods decided to close those threads. I think it's the most logical solution.

It's not about freedom of speech or any other strawman, it's about having empathy for those whom this case hit close to home. As a sufferer of abuse, I'm not sure there is anything positive that can come out of this thread, that hasn't already be said in the last year. If someone has a problem with that, I could understand but... you're always welcome to discuss it in private or elsewhere right? Just put yourself in our place for one second and look at it from another perspective.

Personally, I truly don't want to have this thread bumped with someone defending Jesse, or with someone wishing that they come back for another tour. Not that it ever happened here (or if it did, I honestly don't remember), thankfully, but I've seen a lot of horrific stuff on Reddit and Twitter, and you never know if someone will try this here just to spout some victim blaming shit. Not on my watch.

Just reading the first sentence of the post above (edit: the one above that one) brings me self-harming impulses back but okay, keep missing the point just because you want to discuss this band so bad.

LWS, Anthony_, Jesse West and 2 others like this.
  4. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I wasn’t even trying to tell anyone to never talk about the fucking band again lol.

But if this thread is to stay open, “RIP this band,” or “this co-worker I have still listens to the band and I feel morally superior to her,” or a twitter thread where Max Bemis goes on another one of his ridiculous rants somehow managing to compare himself to Jesse yet again aren’t in any way, shape, or form worth bumping this thread given the extreme weight it has to some people. If you disagree with me, then I genuinely think you have a lot of work to do when it comes to empathizing with victims and survivors.

LWS, Anthony_, sophos34 and 6 others like this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if there's a way to add a "do you really, honestly think it's worth it to post this here?" verification option when clicking "post reply" in this thread, would be very worth it imo.

6. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Holy fucking shit. YOU AREN'T MARGANLIZED FOR LIKING BRAND NEW. YOU DON'T NEED A SAFE SPACE. This is seriously fucking disgusting. Do some self reflection. Learn empathy.

Anthony_, sophos34, leerkat and 5 others like this.
  7. SavesTheNight

Newbie Prestigious

Not sure why people aren't talking about this here, but found this over on the Brand New subreddit.

You're welcome. Happy New Year.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.