Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New Band • Page 863

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

can we move this conversation to another thread or in pm’s? trying to be as polite but straightforward about it as I can be, but seeing this thread bumped for no good reason fucking sucks.

3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

3DB1A340-FFC3-4AF6-BA7A-CD94F31ECD88.jpeg B6FB552C-09A0-442A-8A30-8379CDB17302.jpeg

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Twitter is the worst

Petit nain des Îles and Davjs like this.
  6. shea

RIP Supporter

Yikes

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

He really should just not engage with these people at all.

8. Davjs

Trusted

9. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

“Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too” is about sexting an underage girl though, that’s why he made a huge deal about not playing it anymore. I don’t know why that one offhand buried comment blew into a huge tirade.

10. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Songs about bad things, while bad, aren't as bad as actually doing the bad thing and hiding it for 10+ years. Unless Bemis actually was doing the same shit to a real person any comparison made to JL is 1) because someone has a grudge against Bemis for whatever reason and 2) really insulting to the women who survived abuse and grooming at the hands of JL. If it comes out that Bemis was grooming underage women then compare away! Otherwise the comparison is, at best, lazy.

11. Max Bemis should get off Twitter.

12. Eclipse

Regular

This was eye-roll worthy until he said the inspiration for his gay main character who is struggling with his sexuality and internalized homophobia in his album which already had questionable things about it was on the serial abuser and pedophile Jesse and now I'm legit mad. I get that he's struggling but this legit perpetuates the homophobia that gets us killed as well as allows straight-up abusers like Jesse to fall through the cracks because of their privilege.

tweet I'm referencing by the way

leerkat and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  13. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

It also doesn’t make any sense. Jesse isn’t gay, he’s a creep (and intertwining those two is highly questionable). So did he write an entire album just to fire pot shots at him? He dated his wife 13 years ago, aside from that I don’t know why Max is so fixated on Jesse at all, the two have nothing to do with each other. Even the TBS feud never reached these levels.

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This thread should be closed

15. I continue to disagree with closing the thread, for the reasons written here. Bumping the thread again to say it should be closed, doesn't help anyone.

16. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

That's not what bumped the thread to begin with but ok.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea I mean, my post came in literally at the same minute of someone else’s lol... Anyway I just don’t feel like there are any productive conversations on this topic left to be had. Every time it’s bumped it leads to arguments and people being upset.

Connor likes this.
  18. Kuri44

The fights/ arguments always start whenever someone comments/complains that this thread shouldn’t be bumped.

If you don’t think this thread should exist or be bumped, no one is forcing you to come in here.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  19. nohandstoholdonto

Okay there’s this catch here where, like yeah, bumping the thread to try and say we should stop bumping the thread feels slightly hypocritical or whatever. But, clearly, people aren’t getting the memo that simply seeing this thread bumped can be triggering, and that shouldn’t be taken so lightly.

Like, I have a history of being sexual assaulted, and when the news broke about Jesse, I spent weeks after that in a majorly depressive episode and constantly having my own traumas re-playing in the back of my head on a loop. It was very, very difficult to crawl out of that.

I don’t even know if I feel like the thread should be closed though, honestly. I really just wish people would be more mindful and compassionate before they bump it. Like, honestly, I don’t feel like any of the reasons people have bumped it lately have been worthwhile. *big shrug* but also sorry not sorry.

And I mean all of this in the most productive way. I have a lot of love for this site, obviously, I wouldn’t still be posting here after almost a decade if that weren’t the case, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a lot of the posters here who are minorities or women have distanced themselves from the site. I just feel like some of y’all have a much longer way to go than you think you do when it comes to really making a welcoming space for those who aren’t cishet white men.

LWS, Anthony_, sophos34 and 6 others like this.
  20. nohandstoholdonto

Okay, but thread blocking isn’t an option and we can still see that the thread has been bumped if we unfollow it?

21. duermete

Long Lost Ceiling

I don't post much anymore (not for any particular reason, just been working on other things over the past year) but I do lurk on threads, this being one as I want to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Jason, maybe the solution (I don't run a website so I don't know how viable/expensive this is) is to create a separate "Controversial" forum, where you move threads to at your discretion when you sense things are causing issues. Maybe that would be easier than the thread blocking.

Still enjoy reading most threads/updates on this site, been a staple of my web browsing since the early days of absolutepunk.

22. Kuri44

So?

What’s the problem? You can’t ever see the words Brand New again?

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Someone says that the forum can be uncomfortable, and you think a post like this is okay, directed at that very person? Come on, man.

Anthony_, Joe4th, Connor and 3 others like this.
  24. nohandstoholdonto

You aren’t worth my time.

LWS, sophos34, Joe4th and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.