Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New Band • Page 839

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Like why are you concerned with someone on a forum posting something that isn't a good look when we're talking about Jesse fucking lacey here?

Dirty Sanchez, Anthony_ and leerkat like this.
  2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

it's like when people got mad at people making jokes when barabara bush died, like chill someone on a forum saying Jesse Lacey should die is the least of our problems

Dirty Sanchez and Anthony_ like this.
  3. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

See the problem here is you think of him as a singer/guitarist rather than a serial abuser who has deeply marred many women’s lives. We aren’t talking aboout “very harmful things done ln the past”, we’re talking about people, people who are still feeling the repercussions of the actions of a man who to this day not only refuses to acknowledge what he has done but lets his fans drag his victims through the mud. He has not been accountable whatsoever, and the only sugns he has shown point to him not having repented at all. We should refuse to give him the benefit of some sort of doubt we shouldn’t be having at this point.

You think about the man behind the abuser. I think about the people behind the word “victims”.

Mary V, Carrow, Anna Acosta and 2 others like this.
  4. leerkat

I revel in my bad taste if wishing death on rapists is bad taste

5. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Wishing death on anyone makes me really uncomfortable, even if I agree with the general reasons behind the wishes.

6. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

So how do you all feel about the death penalty.

7. leerkat

Bad and should not exist but that’s got nothing to do with this

Carrow likes this.
  8. leerkat

I mean I’d think rape and abuse would make anyone more uncomfortable than someone wishing death on a rapist abuser as a way to vent about that rapist abuser remaining smugly unpunished but cis dudes have different priorities than the rest of us mortals. Sorry people being rightfully angry makes you uncomfy

Carrow likes this.
  9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

"Wishing death on someone" does not equate to "Supporting the death penalty." That's a pretty outrageous connection to make if I ever saw one and has nothing to do with what's being discussed here.

leerkat and stars143 like this.
  10. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

It's all bothersome, but anything other than hoping he seeks therapy, improves himself as a person and goes on with his life seems quite counterproductive.

I wish he saw consequences to his actions, but I don't control that. Jesse Lacey is completely insignificant in the realm of life, just sucks I can't listen to TDAGARIM without hating it now.

beachdude42 and stars143 like this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Anymore gotcha questions? You're clearly not interested in actual discussion framing shit like this

Iago, CoffeeEyes17 and lightning like this.
  12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

-there are crimes that exist where the fitting punishment is death. Ian Watkins comes to mind
    -regardless, state sanctioned murder should not be supported or funded in any way shape or form
    -none of this is relevant to the discussion of hoping Jesse Lacey gets hit by a truck

13. leerkat

You can continue to hope because that absolute bastard is clearly not going to do any of that. How is hoping he’ll “improve himself” (seems trivial when you consider the span of the horrible things he’s done) anymore productive than wishing he’d finally get pushed off a cliff? Neither has any influence on what that piece of shit does or doesn’t. Believe it or not this isn’t about you and what he did to these women is absolutely not insignificant in the realm of life.

Carrow likes this.
  14. Micah511

I'm struggling with this idea a little, because it sounds like we're okay with it happening in a cosmic justice type of way, but not when it's a decision made by a group of people. I'll bow out of this discussion though, because nothing good ever happens in this thread. Sorry if I've made anyone upset by any of my comments, that was not my intent. :peace:

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That's exactly what people are saying, you got it. Only replace "group of people" with "the State."

16. Micah511

Good deal, I got it. See y'all in the other threads around here.

17. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I'm not offended by any of the remarks made in this thread because I'm not going to sympathize with JL by any means. But wishing he dies or gets hit by a truck does nothing and I'd much rather wish that he feels the true weight of his mistakes, genuinely improves his character, raises his son to be respectful, and is able to lead an exemplary life for his children without a public platform. And of course that his victims find peace and are able to move forward.

I'd much rather watch someone who's lived a shitty life turn it around for the right reasons and do work to help other people be better.. rather than just die a shitty person and not use their mistakes to try and make a change.

18. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, gonna bow out also but... when your argument is “I don’t support the death penalty for this person, I just hope this person dies a violent death by some twist of circumstance”... that (in my opinion!) is a pretty granular and ultimately insignificant distinction. If you’re saying the person in question is better off dead, that’s a position that many people have and I understand why people would think that. I happen to disagree with it but I don’t think it’s because of “privilege”, morally I just don’t personally agree with that line of thinking, but I don’t begrudge anyone for thinking it and it’s certainly an understandable position.

What I disagree with is people saying these arguments somehow equate to “jokes”, and basically making the case that we shouldn’t be taking these types of posts TOO seriously because they’re just made in frustration...? I didn’t see the posts @leerkat made as “joking” and I don’t think they intended them as such, it’s a serious position to have and I think we can have disagreements on the idea of what effectively equates to calling for capital punishment in some form.

stars143 likes this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

If our argument about the posts is that they don't do anything then why is anyone posting, none of us can do anything

Anthony_ likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It absolutely does not equate to calling for capital punishment holy fucking shit

21. I mean, yeah. But I'd also rather inherit a massive sum of money than pay off my student loans but that's not the situation we're actually living so I don't see how this is any more helpful than the negative "I wish" posts except that one is more palatable.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Saying I hope someone passively dies in a sort of karmic way is not the same thing as saying I want taxpayers money to go to the state so they can decide who is worthy of living or dying with a judicial system that is flawed every step of the way. One doesn't have any stakes at all and one has extremely serious real world stakes. It's not hard to see the difference and trying to draw any equivalence between the two is straight up dishonest

23. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This thread honestly shouldn't even exist anymore. It's triggering and full of negativity.

24. duritzfan13

all we have is time

That's irrelevant because my "wish" was an action that he can actually take. You can't 'decide' to inherit money, but he can decide to dedicate the rest of his life to being a better person. It's not just "palatable," it's actually hoping for something with an effect.

stars143, Gallhammer and beachdude42 like this.
  25. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I think we're all on the same page of JL being a scumbag so I'm confused why this is even an argument. Lots of misdirected anger lol

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.