Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New - Science Fiction (August 17, 2017) [ARCHIVED] Album • Page 1720

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

actually, there's quite a lot that's been "alleged" about the classic artists you mentioned, and a lot of it is tremendously worse than what Jesse Lacey did.

also, literally everyone knows this happens in different power dynamics situations, at least anyone who's ever held a job, went to school, dated people, watched dateline once, etc. the thing is, as individuals, there's not much any of us can do except take part in removing a significant tool of power (Being in a band that a lot of people like, thus putting you in a stronger place of power than you would be if you were just a normal average looking white dude). not sure why "bringing awareness" to this on a music forum is important.

Nick, sophos34 and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. straylightrunner

Regular

Hahaha yeah. Bullshit. Fuck you man, you are actually doing whataboutism right here. Sleeping with groupies as long as they are consenting adults isn't the same as grooming them. Where are the letters and the Beatles literally leading underage fans allegations that I've missed? Don't you dare to compare this asshole and his fucking band of asshole with the Beatles. Fuck this shit. Expected WAY better than you, man. Honestly. C'est la vie.

3. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I think this discussion has started going way over my head. I firmly believe that you are all good people and we might just be coming at this subject from different angles.

I just feel that personally I have a lot more listening & learning to do before I can make any meaningful contribution to this subject.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I'm confused how you aren't getting his point. No need to be such a dick about it either.

5. straylightrunner

Regular

RECEIPTS. CITATION NEEDED.

Blocking whataboutism truthers left and right without receipts. Proof or shut up. Bring ONE allegation of an woman saying that she was abused, lead on or even slept with one of those while being underage.

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

there are plenty of rumors surrounding the beatles sleeping with underage girls. its extremely common knowledge bowie did it. this isnt a new thing for people in bands. but yeah. cya. lol.

Aaron Mook, FTank and KidLightning like this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Oof this thread

9. straylightrunner

Regular

We are really comparing brand fucking new with Bowie and Beatles instead of Lostprophets, aren't we? Talk about falling upwards right there. Holy shit.

10. ihaveblink

Regular

Not to defend JL, but he isn't a pedophile right? Ephebophile right?

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the lostprophets guy abused a literal baby. so yeah, its way more apt to compare him to bowie and the beatles.

Aaron Mook, FTank, dadbolt and 2 others like this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I read that as justice league and was really confused

13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Can we just lock/delete this thread now?

dadbolt, slimfenix182, Ken and 5 others like this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

A one year old! And tried to get his ex pregnant so he could abuse the child

AND called it "just MEGA LOLZ"

15. straylightrunner

Regular

Alright. Flat out blocked. Don't need to read this again. Sorry man, yeah I don't buy it. And I never heard about this stuff about Bowie, but even then no, it's not the same thing. Those guys never painted themselves as saints. But let's let Brand New fall upwards, it's clearly what they deserve, right? Holy shit.

One of the man that raised me like my father is dying in a hospital. WTF I'm even doing here anyway, fuck this shit.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

IF YOUVE NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS NOT THE SAME THING?? WHAT THE FUCK LOL

RyanPm40 and FTank like this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

thread derailed hard, lets rank tbs albums

18. cwhit

i'm confused why you, someone who has been wanting to make sure all these shitty men don't get any support, are having problems with equating men who slept with and manipulated underaged women. in fact, jesse didn't even have sex with any underaged girls, while plenty of other rock stars did regularly. they are all the same kind of shitty.

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

wait is part of the issue that jesse made himself out to be a saint? how does that even register? the guy who never gave interviews and was in a band that was accused of treating their fans like shit over and over again painted himself as a saint? dont buy it.

20. cwhit

hasn't half this thread been people reading over his lyrics and being like "damn they all refer to this"? there's nothing saintly about anything he's done

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

seriously the allegations against bowie are the closest to what jesse did, only possibly worse.

KidLightning and AshlandATeam like this.
  22. cwhit

KidLightning likes this.
  23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I've had the 'David Bowie is a piece of shit' conversation with more folks than I care to count.

My only argument in any of this was, 'blame the people, not a nebulous culture or context.' I think that's a harmful attitude. Personally.

straylightrunner likes this.
  24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

theres no harm in blaming jesse for jesse's actions but also considering the context his actions happened in and what gave him the power to carry out those actions. its not blaming the culture or context, it's assessing jesse's actions completely and fully. part of what he did involves his position. you cant divorce jesse from his status as lead singer of brand new. you just cant.

ImAMetaphor and KidLightning like this.
  25. straylightrunner

Regular

You are getting it wrong. What I'm saying is quite simple: I didn't know about that Bowie thing. I'm not a big Bowie fan, never was, basically just his most famous stuff that everyone knows. As far as we know, actually, Lacey did sleep and abused underage girls. Not from the recollection of those that went to speak with publications, but others. What I'm saying is that comparing them with Beatles or anyone else isn't correct because grooming is actually quite different than simply statutory rape. From what we know, Lacey did both and systematically. I agree that a grown ass man sleeping with a 14 year old is shitty. But let's say for example, the Beatles. When the Beatles started, Paul was 18 years old back in 1960. Is he having sex with a groupie that is let's say 17 years old fucked up? I wouldn't think so. Would it be if it was under that? Yes. The problem I have is alegations that seem to take away Brand New's blame because "well, the Beatles did it, why haven't you stopped listen to the Beatles too? " when it's not that simple. We don't have accusations like the ones against Lacey against anyone from the Beatles. I have problems conflating what people are saying on that Bowie article because I don't see it as the same. There's a difference, and I can't tap my finger on it but there is.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.