Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New - Science Fiction (August 17, 2017) [ARCHIVED] Album • Page 1616

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Lol someone told Kevin Devine on twitter that he’s not a friend of Jesse’s for dropping out.

No. But it makes him a decent human.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ted Nugent is probably not the best example to use if you're trying to avoid supporting pedophiles/rapists/abusers........

3. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Sex addict provides context for the situation, nothing else.

4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

anyway if any musicians ever need someone to mix or master their material uhhh thats kind of my thing and ive done very good work people on this site and for myself and for others

5. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I only knew about the racism honestly

6. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

But do you know anything about patents?

7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't really need context for a crime like that. People can rationalize anything. People that have raped other people can provide you with all sorts of context to try to explain away what they have done and deflect the blame off of them self.

8. duritzfan13

all we have is time

"All My Heroes" by Bleachers seems very relevant, and it's a song I think of and go to every time we hear another celebrity story /:

Jack said "all my heroes is about how the world can just disappoint you over and over and sometimes in the strangest way that gives you power to do better. especially for the ones around you who you love. just do better the shitter things get. its more interesting than the opposite."

9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I was thinking the same thing as you while I listened to the Unplugged performance.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  10. bennjeff

Regular

The comments on that post by Kevin on twitter were pretty bad. Surprised by how many people were like "man I totally understand, hate to miss you at the show." Like I think if you're still planning on going then maybe you don't really understand where Kevin is coming from or maybe yall don't have the same values, I don't know because I didn't spend money to go.

11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Reminds me a lot of Perfect Places by Lorde
    "All of our heroes fading / now I can't stand to be alone"

12. radiodead

Trusted

Can’t say I’m totally shocked though. There have been rumblings about Jesse’s character for a long time. Something that stands out in my mind is an interview Geoff Rickley gave reviewing Science Fiction and past brand new albums. Geoff seems like a very genuine guy, you can tell from the interview that he might not be that fond of Jesse, but speaks highly of Vin and other members

There is a moment in the interview where Geoff mentions an instance that he doesn’t go into detail about, something that happened within Brand New. Could be a million different things, but says that he doesn’t know how they could continue being a band (I’m paraphrasing here). Stuck with me when I heard it

13. duritzfan13

all we have is time

As ridiculous as it is, I feel like they might finish this tour and then do a couple farewell shows in 2018 and be like "these are for anyone who still wants to come."

14. bennjeff

Regular

I don't think anyone here is arguing that many people in the scene didn't care for Jesse. It was basically known that he was an asshole, I just don't think people thought THIS was in his character

15. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Yup, probably my favorite song on that record. And makes sense since it's a Jack co-write and he was working on both records at the same time

solxace and ComedownMachine like this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I assumed he struggled with infidelity just based on things I had read and seen and then listening to his lyrics - I was honestly blown away that he had done something like this to someone this age.

There is a world of difference between good-looking successful charismatic frontman having lots of sex with female fans and adult sexually manipulating and abusing an underage child.

To me they are both bad but one is merely douchey and sleazy but ridiculously common and the other is criminal.

Mary V likes this.
  17. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I can make one.

"'Do You Listen to the Movielife?' Chat Thread"

18. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I might hit you up in 6 months if a project actually materializes but I'm not counting on it haha.

20. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I remember this from the podcast, was thinking the same thing.

715creeks likes this.
  21. BernYourEnthusiasm

It has been rumored for many years that Carlile had encounters such as these with underage women. Same with Craig Owens. Really sad that it has taken this long for the accusations to kind of have take hold with the overall fanbase.

22. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

My wife and I were talking about how you start to change this behavior and I think this is exactly it. I came up in our local scene and definitely wrote shitty songs and was a womanizer. I grew up in a time without internet coverage and women being able to call out bullshit like this to a much larger audience, so we got away with it. Had I been able to take a look around and see that it was being widely condemned, I would have been able to reflect on it sooner. I wish I could have.

But now we’re in a time where you can’t hide from this shit. I think women speaking up is such a huge and brave step because without them doing so, these new generations of musicians might not ever see how terrible these types of actions really are.

Also, continuing to keep it at the forefront is so important. I have three boys now and I’ll continue to show them that actions like these are completely unacceptable. I continue to yell and yell loudly when local bands in our area are writing shitty songs and mistreating woman, and I’m sure that annoys the bro-apologists but they can fuck off.

I guess my point is, if you’re yelling for the right reasons, keep yelling. Keep holding individuals and bands accountable, keep sharing the stories of brave survivors. I think we’ll start to see a change.

Saephon, ship90 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  23. BernYourEnthusiasm

I don't think anybody here needs to be warned about r/brandnew at this point, but if you guys post there and say anything supportive of Kevin leaving or empathetic for abuse victims at all you're risking getting a lot of really hateful DM's.

There are a lot of people in serious denial over there and apparently this is "blown out of proportion". I would steer clear unless you want to spend the rest of you're weekend blocking Jesse apologists telling you to die.

anthonythings likes this.
  24. razorburn

Trusted

scott, beachdude42, Mary V and 6 others like this.
  25. RuckerPark

Someone else is in my place. Supporter

I honestly don’t see them scheduling anymore shows after the ones they currently have. I would be surprised if they did.

beachdude42 likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.