Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New Perform “1996” Live

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wonder if any of the leaked demo songs will appear on the new record? I really hope not but who knows when it comes to Jesse and co.

3. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

This was great. Kind of figured that was what the song was about....but still powerful to here him say it formally.

The line "and how my ex-girlfriend would never sleep with your fiance"....is not how I thought that line was originally....really intense line especially because of the part that comes before that. Sigh, Brand New....just wanna give ya a big 'ol hug...for giving me the feels.

DeRRek likes this.
  4. AEB

Still way annoyed that this isn't referred to as 'Morrissey song' anymore. This song is Jesse Lacey's Morrissey impression.

Kizwiz, DeRRek and noeljames like this.
  5. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Holy fuck I want to see this live so bad

DeRRek likes this.
  6. caseyaylward

Forgive me, but what did he explain that it was about?

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

I was at the concert in Tampa yesterday and before he played 1996 he said something along the lines of "before our 3rd album came out a bunch of songs leaked out. For a long time we said these songs weren't ours, but they are our songs and we're gonna play one for you now. It's called 1996 and is about a girl we knew who died and how we couldn't process it." That's not exact, but to the best of my memory. may have said girl we knew in high school but I'm not 100% if that was it.

DeRRek and noeljames like this.
  8. billcom6

I never listened to the Leaked Demos until like 2 weeks ago. And the past day or so I have been obsessed with 1996. I think this is a sign of some kind.

9. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

You can hear exactly what Jesse said about the song in the video Jason linked in the article.

10. LJ Rime

Regular

This has been my favorite song from the leaked demos for about ten years. It's so crazy to hear it performed live.

11. Muzick

Probably wanting to know since he couldn't watch the video. Thanks though.

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I saw them in Pittsburgh on Tuesday and they were amazing as usual, didn't get any leaked demos but did get to see them play Noro, which is a rarity for them to play live (Although I was at the show they played Noro for the first time in Cincinnati in 2013). We got screwed on their set because they were supposed to go on at 9 or 9:15 but their sound guys were having problem with some wiring and they didn't end up going on until 9:30. Instead of doing the 4-song encore they've been doing throughout this tour, we only got a 2 song encore and only a total of 15 songs, whereas most the other shows have been 18 or 19 (the setlist had At the Bottom, Mene and Nightmare, but they didn't play them).

Back to the leaked demos, they did fit in Brothers and Missing You into their set when I saw them last summer in Cleveland. So, that was cool. I like how they're starting to finally change some things up in their sets and reaching back for more rarities.

noeljames likes this.
  13. Bass0820

I was there, it was amazing and heartbreaking

14. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

'1996' is in my top 5 favourite Brand New songs, really wish we'd got (/get) an album's worth of this style of music.

15. edquin

I was pretty shocked when they played it. So good

16. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Who would have thought they would be playing this/these songs! When they played Nobody Moves on NYE it was a total surprise like this

j0hnnyrt likes this.
  17. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I would kill to see them play nobody moves live.

18. Great show.

19. Kixur413

Benji rocking that tambourine :hearteyes::hearteyes:

20. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

It's Kevin Devine's drummer playing aux drums. Ben is on tour with Dashboard

21. fluffyjdawg

Regular

This would have been cool to hear. I hated their set at DTE. I've never left a show so dissatisfied.

22. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

so freaking good live, and I feel incredibly lucky to have seen this the first time they played it. I feel like I get to be a part of brand new history, which is always fun

Kevin360 and NationalPhenomenon like this.