Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New Not Playing Music For Anyone Except Themselves

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brand New’s second show from their tour was tonight and they’re really good about finding a way to make sure I post something about anything they say on stage. They are apparently, “not breaking up” they’re just “not playing music for anyone except themselves anymore.” So, RIP 2018 or something.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. stefoske

Without elaborating or being clear it just comes off as a little rude to me. It doesn't make me feel anything positive.

Does this mean they are going to make music they want now which is what I thought they always did, or that they are going to just play privately? Odd.

3. I'd be stoked if they pulled a Beatles and perpetually released new studio recordings without touring for a while. No band has tried that in a long time. It's probably not lucrative at all but it could be cool, and Brand New has a history of making bad ideas work really well.

4. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

come on Brand New don't quit! Radiohead doesn't even quit.

Dan O'Neill and mattylikesfilms like this.
  5. Mike

I'd be fine with this from most bands. The live experience is important but rather than touring, it would be okay to have one off appearances every so often and new music is always appreciated

CMilliken likes this.
  6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Well this is a relief. Guess it was just a cool "eighteen forever" thing.

7. efp722

Regular

Okay. As opposed to the alternative which is..?

8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I think this could go over really well. The Beatles did a lot of experimenting in their later years, which I could see Brand New doing too. From what I can tell from both of their newest songs, they might not even know which direction they want to go in.

Releasing a few albums would allow them to do whatever they'd like.

9. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Haha I love that people are mad at the way he addressed it. Get over it guys, Brand New is 99% likely done come 2018.

10. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Would love to know who they're playing Daisy for. I mean, i like Daisy... but it's not like they've been creating/playing pop songs for the last 10 years.

11. Slave to the Grind

What if they are just ending the Brand New band name? Post 2018 they will call themselves Old New

12. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

:eyeroll:

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So frustrated with this band and the stunts they pull. As if they ever did anything for their fans anyway.

14. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

"but they don't owe anything to their fans, you are acting entitled, etc etc etc"

then why make a shirt that has an expiration date for your band or whatever, just to mess with them

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

except for they're the band that has toured for a while without doing any real studio recordings

16. Kizwiz

Regular

They're such a weird band. It gets to a point where it feels like their crypticness is probably just intentionally messing with fans heads.

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I feel like it's an acceptable thing to a certain extent if the band is good enough or keeps their fans happy, but Brand New is consistently disappointing imo. Or at least has been for the past decade or so. You can't just fuck with your fans and give barely anything in return and expect us all to blindly worship you.

I mean, I'm sure they don't care if we like them or not. What a weird group of musicians.

DejaMoi, devenstonow and Letterbomb31 like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Pretty funny

Emotherapy likes this.
  19. CMilliken

Trusted

I think it would be cool to let them kind of chill. Yet there is a possibility of getting new music post 2018. If touring is anything like PUP has described in their song I can only imagine the toll it would take on the band and their families.

So here's to hoping for new Brand New music after 2018. Unlikely, but sounds like it could happen.

20. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I think most bands just make music for themselves. Not every single fan of yours will like every single song and there's no reason to try and appeal to everyone.

21. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Hahaha you guys honestly think they don't care about their fans? The only reason we are getting a new album at all is for us.

22. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yeah but why fuck with them like that....really what's the point. It's getting old and lame. Turns me off and makes me care less. They obviously think it's funny. I guess I just don't get it.

BEsterley likes this.
  23. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I honestly think they just do this because they can and know they will get away with it so why not I guess right?

I'm talking about the cryptic/vagueness/antics bs.

OotyPa likes this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Same. This band obviously could say they're releasing an album and just never release it and people will still be kissing their feet. Now it just seems they're poking fun at us.

I can't really stand it. There needs to be a certain level of respect for the fans. I understand making art for oneself, for expression's sake, but at least recognize the people that got you to this level of success. I don't need another album, or another tour, or anything, but don't lie to your fans, don't deceive them, and don't lead them on. It's totally unprofessional

Letterbomb31, DejaMoi and devenstonow like this.
  25. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

This band needs to go away

Letterbomb31, btr and OotyPa like this.