Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New – Science Fiction • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

That's really funny because I was going to go back and edit my post saying that I hear a lot of Nirvana in the album.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I say this on every one of your reviews, it seems, but this is your best review yet

4. Eml182

Regular

I recommend everyone listening to this after the album, everytime. Wait for the chorus...

5. Saephon

Regular

Great review Aaron. I hope we end up getting a long discussion of the album on a podcast soon.

6. tvck

Trusted

What are your thoughts on "Out of Mana" @Aaron Mook? Personally my favorite on the album.

7. Stellar review!

Interestingly, even though there are relatively few reviews of this album floating around the web as of yet (other than blogs and YouTube videos), I've been seeing reviewers quote basically all the same lyrics each time.

Aaron Mook and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

Incredible review, Aaron. The third paragraph gave me chills. I feel the exact same way.

Aaron Mook and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Just posted about this tune this morning. Currently my top track as well, but that changes constantly.

Basically it's because of the following:
    • the idea that a video game is a metaphor/philosophy for life; speaks to simulation theory
    • "Hell is digital" lyric
    • "...player One" lyric
    • The way the vocals sound in the bridge when they come in on, "did we build Babel together?"

js977 likes this.
  10. tvck

Trusted

So on that last note... I get heavy Alice in Chains vibes. Is that crazy?

coleslawed and RileyWitiw like this.
  11. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

No totally with you there.

12. Nah - just like their last two records the 90s influence is heavy on SciFi

teebs41 likes this.
  13. Thanks so much bud
    It's good! Not one of my immediate favorites, but not bad by any means. Reminds me a bit of "Yellow Belly"by Thrice. Call me crazy, but I think I might actually prefer the interlude that makes up the last minute of the song, haha

Zac Djamoos and Nate_Johnson like this.
  14. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Craig Manning and teebs41 like this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yea no way he wouldn't enjoy it with all of the southern vibes, and the vocal performance is right up his alley I think.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  16. I feel like I could see Craig getting bored with this, but I could be totally wrong. I'm not sure how he feels about the band's previous output at all. I'd love to hear his thoughts!

teebs41 likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I just listened for the first time today, actually! I was on vacation when all this shit hit the fan, so I haven't spent much time with it like everyone else, but it's the most I've enjoyed a Brand New record on first listen.

Yeah, the added country influence was definitely something I appreciated.

I don't dislike Brand New, but I've never been quite on the bandwagon except for a few songs here and there, mostly from Deja. I didn't like Daisy at all, so I wasn't anticipating this one much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'll be revisiting.

P.S. I'll add my voice to the chorus (ha!) and say that you've really come into your own as a writer. The last few that I've read from you have been very insightful, interesting, and well-written. Proud to read your stuff.

18. Thanks Craig!! You've had the most influence on me as far as longform writing and framing a review goes, so I take that to heart.

skurt and Craig Manning like this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That makes me feel great! I'm honored man, sincerely.

Aaron Mook, skurt and Ryan Gardner like this.