Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New – “I am a Nightmare” • Page 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

no but after 7 years you wouldnt expect a drop in quality/creativity. no they aren't sitting around thinking about what WE want, but i expect them to grow as artists for their own sakes

2. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

3. Also, not trying to call anyone out but it seems like a lot of the people who lament Daisy are the ones claiming this is too "straightforward." Seems a bit strange to me

Penguin, AshlandATeam and fenway89 like this.
  4. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

I love that people love it. I love that people hate it. It's perfect.

Youarcade, skurt and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

First impressions immediately reminded me of The Strokes and Alkaline Trio. It's alright. Recorded version lacks energy which mene definitely has, I'm sure it will be a completely different story when played live. I'm not disappointed, but I'm not overly impressed.

6. Jake Z

Regular

Glad others do exist! I like several songs off of TDAG but never thought of it like most people here do-at all. Same with Daisy-enjoyed a few songs but not a huge fan. Loved Deja though. After one listen, I like the song a lot. Why does doing something ''straightforward'' get slammed by some of their supposed die hard fans here? It is upbeat, has a good hook, and different from the last 2 albums. I would enjoy an album of songs in this vein. Going to be interesting to see the final product.

shawnhyphenray and fenway89 like this.
  7. If they threw a weird synth beat under this and added more distortion to the guitars people would consider that "artistic growth" simply because of the cosmetic additions. I'd argue quality and creativity can showcase in other ways in songwriting — and that like writing itself — being clear and to the point can be described as an artistic growth and goal for many writers. I think painting it like you feel bad for "their sakes" that they made something they like that you don't as artistic regression is ... not great. That bridge, for example, I'd point to.

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Fair. I guess I just view their other stuff as more captivating. It gives me that feeling that good art gives me.

This just didn't. It's not terrible, but if it weren't Brand New, I wouldn't even give the song a second thought. I think that's a better assessment.

9. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

tbh Im refraining from looking at the song in too critical of a light because Im not sure how it fits in with the rest of the upcoming release. I think both this and "Mene" have their flaws (however both are still very good), but in the context of a full release/album, they might both make more sense or fit better.

That's kinda the same for a lot of this band's songs honestly (at least to me). If I pull a couple songs off any of their albums and listen to them by themselves, they might underwhelm me or I'll find issues with their structure or something. But very rarely (imo) do they have songs that act as filler on records.

TLDR: Yeah, this song is kinda "simple" (probably a better word I can use) in terms of previous material, but it's catchy and Im not gonna look too deep into it until I hear it in full context of it's release/album.

10. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

The number of people freaking out over them releasing a 12" single is pretty hilarious honestly. I'm willing to bet there's going to be more than just the one song on the single. I'm excited for this and I think the song is pretty darn good.

beachdude42, Aaron Mook and fenway89 like this.
  11. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

I like this song A LOT.

12. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

They still haven't explicitly stated that there's going to be an 'album' yet - why not mention it if one's definitely coming? Unless someone definitively knows differently (*cough Jason cough*), I fear 'taken from the band's upcoming release' means taken from the 12" single.

pauljgreco likes this.
  13. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

It's a solid straightforward rock song, I enjoyed it for what it is...

14. Jason Tate May 17, 2016
    (Last edited: May 17, 2016)
    They reference the single in the press release as the single, which is now for sale, and it would make no sense to reference the band's upcoming release differently three words before, the "upcoming release" is not referring to the now released single. Pretty clearly separate entities (or horrific writing that makes no logical sense).

Full press release is on the site.

15. countmeout

I am loving this so much. Totally was not expecting it to sound like this.

16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think what all the critical people are trying to say is that the last 3 albums turned the scene on its head (regardless of how you rank em), and to them, it doesn't appear this album will do the same. it doesn't sound genre-redefining or particularly innovative.
    Id probably agree, but that said, it's good, I like it more than mene, and I'm excited for the release.

17. To people who aren't digging it,

Didn't they say that if they were going to make a new record it would be closer to Deja or fork and knife than to TDAGARIM or Daisy?

18. LJ Rime

Regular

Just like I said about the 30 second clip, it doesn't sound like a Deja song at all. It's probably a song that would, in an alternate universe, be on DAG.

Good song though. Just to be clear...

Straightforward =/= Regression

19. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

It's expected that they'd go somewhere different sonically. Every album indicates this kind of change in sound.

fenway89 likes this.
  20. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I saw your avatar and then read your comment in a Lesie Knope voice and it was awesome.

21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I did a regression analysis on this and I can confirm at 95% confidence that this math checks out.

22. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 5.42.33 PM.png

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

@bobsheiskawy Seeing that on my Facebook too! Not on Twitter yet. Though, it should show up on both considering those algorithms skew to show trends you're likely to be more interested in.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. FakeGyllenhaal

This is probably the first Brand New news Ive received from a site other than "absolutepunk.net" ever.

25. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I like this and I'm excited for the album. Good to have confirmation that a full length is coming. I feel like most bands release their straightforward/accessible songs as singles.

fadingfast likes this.