Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brand New – “I am a Nightmare” • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2016.

1. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I like the production, particularly the drum sound. I currently think it's a bad song though, and I think it's about as good as Mene on the whole. But that's only two listens so it's not the end of the world.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  2. ianzandi

Regular

Reminds me Interpol a bunch

3. Clen118

I immediately thought of Biffy Clyro.

mercury likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

yeah its just like... we waited this long... for this?

i know people are gonna be like-- "yo this band doesn't owe you anything, they just make music and you should feel lucky to get it at all"

well i dont feel lucky. its slightly depressing that this is their output after seven years of living, loving, and artistic self-examination and reflection

they've done better lol

Bryan Diem likes this.
  5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This is what my little brother is saying right now. This 'cycle' has been his first ride on the Brand New hype train, and he hates this song more than I do.

6. thevheissu

that's not how the force works Prestigious

I really really like this.

7. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Glad other people think so. Such a paint by numbers basic four chord punk rock song. It's fine, it's just... meh.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeah, i'm afraid people will think I'm saying this is a bad song. It's not a bad song. It's just devoid of any kind of spark lol

Letterbomb31 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  9. Sander

kflkmflkm

It's okay i guess

10. Tata Toothy

Regular

I like how you have some of the same users making multiple post to let's us all know they don't like this song. It must make them feel good inside for whatever reason.

That's great you don't have to like it, but we don't need 10 post about it.

It's one song, personally I enjoyed it. It's not meant for everyone, there's not need to be negative in every post.

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  11. EMPHASIS ADDED!

AshlandATeam likes this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I posted three time and each post said something different. If you guys can post multiple times with a positive reaction then I can post multiple times with an underwhelmed reaction. I'm jealous you enjoyed the song, and I hope you keep enjoying it, and I hope it grows on me-- but don't take away my freedom to speak critically about it

fluxyjoe likes this.
  13. I felt the same way about "Mene" when it came out last year, but feeling like that made me more self-aware as a (casual) Brand New fan. I agree that they've definitely done better than this (and worse as well), but I'd feel remiss to designate one song as a reflection of their maturation as artists after years. That feels a bit reductive to me whereas, for example, describing an album as lackluster after years of waiting (regardless of hype level for the artist) would be more valid due to a wider breadth of the output to digest and analyze.

Penguin likes this.
  14. Tata Toothy

Regular

I wasn't referring to you. Did I quote your username? Don't get so defensive. You're the least of the problem, no one's trying to take away your freedom haha. Please relax, for everyone's sake.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

lmao okay

ibanez966 likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I like it. Has the feel of some of the "poppier" songs from the leaked demos (1996, Missing You, Battalions). Nice to hear a little more upbeat tune from them again.

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I get this vibe from the chorus as well.

18. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

I liked Mene better. A little too straight forward but it took a little for Bored to Death to click so maybe (hopefully) the same happens here.

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

GASLIGHT?!?!?

GASLIGHT?!?!?!

GASLIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!

AshlandATeam and Miss Heartcore like this.
  20. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Haha holy shit the "after 7 years this is what we get?" Posts are such a joke.

The band wasn't sitting around thinking about what YOU wanted from them for seven years, in fact they probably wouldn't have released any new music if they didn't want to. So yes after seven years this is what we get because this is what the band wanted to out out! Don't like it? Fine but don't act like you were owed anything more.

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Oh. I should check the FB posts!

22. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

snooze.

though for what it's worth, I've only really liked 3-5 (maybe ONE on Daisy) songs on each of their records so whatever.

23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

So good.

24. suppyguppy

Regular

I dig it. I'll echo everyone else who's said there's definitely more simplicity in this and Mene than in their past two releases. Hope there's more depth in the rest of the album. Still stoked to get new Brand New and Cassino in the same week. Two of my favorite bands who haven't had a proper release since 2009.

25. Song is really fun, I'm honestly just bummed for the people who aren't digging it. I'm so happy right now haha

Anyone suggesting the band isn't doing what they want to do is pretty off-base though