Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Boston Thread Location • Page 50

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

come out to the Worcester area! we have Wormtown in Worcester, MA and Cold Harbor in Westborough, MA and Flying Dreams in Marlborough, MA

Brent and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  2. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

My favorite places are above the Charles in Somerville. I love Cambridge Brewing, Lamplighter, and Lord Hobo. They’re all within a mile of each other too.

3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone at PAX this weekend? If so I’ll be working our booth next to the Magic arena.

4. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I'll be there, ready for my free Army swag

Brent likes this.
  5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I have two tickets to muse tonight if anyone wants them.

6. Matt

Wish I could go, if only it wasn't on a Wednesday. I try to see them every time they are in Boston.

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah didn’t really think that one through. I’ve always wanted to see them but don’t really want to drive back to the Cape that late with an early wake up call to work tomorrow morning....

8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Have an extra ticket to SWMRS at paradise tonight if anyone is around and wants a free show.

9. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Did anyone go to see John Mulaney/Pete Davidson in Providence? Caitlin said it was VERY Funny... Wondering how it went.

10. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

If anyone hears about a 1 bedroom opening up near Boston in September, lemme know!

waking season likes this.
  11. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m also looking for a place in the NH seacoast area starting in June if anyone knows of anything!

12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Husband and I might be renting out the in-law apartment at our home within the next six months or so. We are on the south shore (Holbrook).

13. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Excited to say I'll be visiting Boston for the first time next week! I'll be there May 14-17. I'll be going to one of the Rockies games at Fenway, and I would love to be able to get a ticket for night 1 of Frank Turner's Lost Evenings. I'm definitely going to be visiting a lot of the historic spots throughout the city, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions one may have. Thank you!

14. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

You'll have to look on Stubhub or similar for Frank Turner tickets. It looks like there are tickets for the 5/16 show at House of Blues for $25 currently.

As for other things, it depends on what kind of things you're into. There are a lot of museums, restaurants, breweries etc. to go to. If the weather is nice and you want a quick 90-120 min tour of the whole city I usually recommend going on a Duck Tour for visitors. It's a little pricey but they're usually pretty fun. It's a good walking city so I'd spend some time just wandering around if it's nice out. If you want any more specifics on things just ask!

johnnyferris likes this.
  15. quietwords

Nice to finally be seeing the sun around here!

Heading into town tonight to see Ben Platt. Will be nice to get to walk around the city a bit.

16. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

There's a lot of good spots in Allston. It's where all the "trust fund hipster kids who want to get as close as they possibly can to living the rough punk life while their parents pay their rent" live, but it's cool. I like it. But I prefer Cambridge a bit more. Harvard SQ and Central SQ is where it's at.

johnnyferris likes this.
  17. johnnyferris

$25 isn't too bad, but I won't mind spending a little more if I have to.

I'm going to do as much as I can each day and walking is certainly no issue for me. The AirBnb I'm staying at, which is in Somerville, has a bike that I can freely use as I please. I'm by myself so I won't have to worry too much about not getting to do things that I want to do.

I'll be not too far of a walk from Davis Square and the red line. I'll most likely use that everyday to get into Boston proper. I don't think a rental car will be necessary for me.

What do you recommend brewery wise? Record shops?

18. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

When I used to be in Medford, I loved Mike’s in Davis square for cheap late night Italian food. Rosebud for a higher cost brunch if you wanna be fancy. For breweries, I loved going to Lamplighter and Cambridge brewing

Matt likes this.
  19. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, using the T and a bike should be all you'll need. If needed, uber and the like are everywhere.

Breweries in the area are Aeronaut and Slumbrew in Sommerville, Lamplighter in Cambridge and Bantam Cider if you like cider. Night Shift is in Everett which would require an uber to get there, but they did just open a new spot by the TD Garden that I haven't been to yet. And Trillium is in the seaport area. Just an FYI they were called out last year for shitty labor practices. They've supposedly fixed them since then but just a heads up.

The only record store I've been to (besides Newbury Comics) is In Your Ear records, which is next to Agganis Arena on the BU campus. It's in the basement of the building next door and had a pretty substantial selection.

20. cherrywaves

Trusted

As far as record stores go:

Armageddon in Harvard Sq has you covered for anything metal/punk/hardcore, awesome place

Deep Thoughts in JP has a cool selection and JP rules

Nuggets in Kenmore Sq usually has good/rare stuff in the new arrivals bin. Saw a copy of Best Wishes by Cro Mags last week

Newbury Comics is a New England based chain and they’ve gone downhill over the years but they’re still fine, lots of new releases

21. Matt

The new Night Shift location near the Garden is great but can get really crowded. But they have a full food menu now!

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  22. brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

davis is great!! if you want good brunch nearby i rec five horses tavern or sound bites if you're also staying close to ball square (like half mile away from davis)

seconded lamplighter and night shift's boston location

23. johnnyferris

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I remember seeing Armageddon in one of RFC record selection videos. Might have been of Jeremy from TA or Ned from Title Fight. Looked like an awesome shop.

My good friend is really into breweries so I heard about that Trillium fiasco all the way out here in California.

So many things to check out. Hope I see and experience as much as possible

24. quietwords

Might have an extra ticket to Passion Pit tonight at the House of Blues if anyone's interested?

25. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

How was the show? Forgot about that, and SUM 41 this week.