Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Boston Calling 2021 - Lineup Tour • Page 5

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Jason Tolpin, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

There are a few other bands that could be worthwhile, but yeah - 1st and 2nd line are strong.

2. there's maybe a single day's worth of bands there I'd want to see; super disappointed that I rolled over my passes two years in a row for this. I guess I'll probably still go because I think I got free drink tickets for rolling over?

alkalinexandy likes this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

There are some strong gets in here. But there's not enough on a single day to get me to pull the trigger. I don't want to drop the full ticket price and only attend 50% of the fest each day. Hah.

If Weezer and/or Modest Mouse - along with KennyHoopla were on Friday I could see myself going. But not as it all currently stands.

Still. The top three lines of each day have some sweet gets.

EDIT: Thinking about it? I may try for a cheap resale ticket when it gets closer to the festival. Friday and Saturday could be a lot of fun.

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

You can make a great great day out of Friday and Sunday but alas.

Honestly it's about convincing yourself is the $$ worth it for a Metallica/Weezer/modest mouse show

Or a foo fighters, haim, avril, cheap trick show

5. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Cheap Trick would be fun.

6. manoverboard365

Trusted

Do headliners play unopposed at Boston Calling?
    I would've just assumed that one stage would have Cheap Trick into Foo Fighters, while another stage simultaneously had Avril in Haim.

7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Foo Fighters dropped for obvious (and very sad) reasons. New headliner coming soon.

Based on how they replaced Rage and looking at current tour dates... I'm guessing they pull in Green Day. They were previously going to be in Russia that weekend so they were planning on being on the road, anyway.

8. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

That would be a good find, if they can pull in Green Day.

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

From the looks of it, there's a number of potential options. And since it's the Foos they're replacing? Money isn't really a rate-limiter. So my top two guesses based on what I've read:

Green Day: Solid stylistic fit. High-demand. Has the weekend free after cancelling Russian dates so they were planning on being on the road/playing a show that weekend anyway. Would make sense if they have a new single/album announcement on the way too.

Pearl Jam: Dates are wide open with no Boston date on the current tour schedule. Arguably a better fit than Green Day in terms of a direct replacement. Massive draw.

Another thought I had that feels less likely but is possible: Dropkick Murphys. They're free that weekend and really, this is their only shot at playing the festival without being a super late add post-Saint Patrick's Day. I could see them adding the Murphys and 1-2 bigger support acts. This would probably be a last-ditch effort on the festival's part, only if other acts said "no" because of what a step down it would be but... It's Boston. It could work in a pinch if they had to.

There's been a few other names I've seen tossed out there that feel too big (Aerosmith) or it's just straight-up too soon to know if/when the band will be touring (Arctic Monkeys) or they feel like it'd make the top line lean too heavy (NIN). And of course, they may throw a curveball and book a hip-hop act... But I kinda feel like fans might riot if they did that, unfortunately.

10. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I think fans that wanted FF would be disappointed by NIN or a hip hop act.

Green Day or PJ would work, and heck, Dropkick Murphys would totally fit as well.

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Agreed that Green Day or Pearl Jam would be the best bet as a "direct" replacement. Dropkick Murphys could work if absolutely necessary, but I think they'd want to bolster that with another addition or two. Similar to what Riot Fest did in 2018 when Blink dropped; they added Run the Jewels, Weezer, and Taking Back Sunday (though I suspect at least one of those was meant to be added anyway).

But they could also add a bigger hip-hop act or NIN and offer the opportunity for refunds to soften the blow. With the right act (and NIN is certainly one of them!) they could probably sell a significant number of tickets instantly to offset the refunds.

12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Based on the nail emoji? I'm guessing it's NIN.

13. somethingwitty

Trusted

They have no northeast dates for 2022, makes sense. With how sold out all their headline shows are this will probably help with ticket sales at BC.

14. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

The cast of Freddy Got Fingered doing a script reading

15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The one thing that kinda sucks is that I'm sure there's a significant number of Foo Fighters fans who aren't into Nine Inch Nails. And I don't think BC is offering up refunds on this (even though they probably should).

I feel kinda bad for folks in that position. If you bought a ticket expecting Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers... And now you're getting Nine Inch Nails, the Strokes, and Metallica? That's a pretty huge shift. Nevermind the major shuffling of the undercard (mostly for the better, TBH, but still).

16. I've been holding onto my tickets for two years now basically solely for RATM, so, whatever at this point

17. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Is Trent still putting out music? He must be relevant still, if thats the act.

I saw them on Pretty Hate Machine tour, I believe.

18. somethingwitty

Trusted

You know Trent has had a pretty big career resurgence since teaming up with Atticus Ross right?

19. somethingwitty

Trusted

Just heard from a buddy up in NE, it's 100% NIN. Day passes on-sale in a couple weeks.

manoverboard365 likes this.
  20. manoverboard365

Trusted

That's a great last minute replacement, IMO. I've been on a real NIN and Metallica kick lately, wondering if I can make this fest possible.

21. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Umm.. I do now.. Wow!

22. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I get the feeling (like it was said above) that those fans that wanted Rage or Foodd may or may not be the folks that want NIN.

We will find out in an hour. (but it also was stated above its NIN for sure)

23. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

NIN it is.

24. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

ah. this weekend.

scott likes this.