Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Boston Calling 2018 Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by scott, Jan 4, 2018.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

As a general "festival rule," I like to try to get there 2 hours before doors open on the first day, and 1-2 hours before doors every day after. Particularly if you want to be sure that you're in on-time for a specific act early in the day, etc. But if the only act you want to see is a headliner (Eminem), you can probably go later...

But keep in mind that if you go, say, at 3 in the afternoon? You'll probably sit there in a very long line (potentially for a very long time; hours, even). By Sunday, many of the kinks tend to get worked out that cause the long lines so you'd probably be fine...

But if you really want to be safe? I'd suggest going earlier in the day, and spending the afternoon checking out new bands and having a few drinks.

chris_williams67 and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  2. chris_williams67

Regular

So is 8am a bit overkill?

3. SPine

Trusted

In my opinion there's no need to get there that early. I showed up around 2 pm and was able to get close for all acts except the headliner but that's because I was at the smaller stage seeing The 1975 before walking over for Mumford

4. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I would say 8am is definitely overkill. You'd likely show up and be one of maybe two people there for the next few hours, haha. I forget what time gates are, but I do think if you're really concerned about getting there early and wanting to be right up on the barricade? Two hours ahead of doors should do you fine.

Obviously, the earlier you go... You're technically better off. But yeah. 8am feels very, very early.

And you can get pretty close if you're able to get in later... May not be right up against the barricade, but with enough tenacity you should be able to get reasonably close.

Depends on the day and the way things are set-up. I know last year, Friday was a nightmare getting in for anybody after 2pm or so. But they worked out the kinks.

There's also a difference in "getting close" versus wanting to be right up on the barricade too.

SPine and chris_williams67 like this.
  5. chris_williams67

Regular

Also, Any stage info on who’s playing what stage?

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That will probably come out the same time as the schedule. Maybe a month or so before? I forget what the schedule was last year.

Overlap isn't as bad as most festivals, given that there's only three stages.

7. chris_williams67

Regular

Last thing, do they allow signs? I’m gonna be that one guy with it but I think it’s worth it.

8. Matt Feb 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2018)
    Matt

Living with the land Supporter

If anyone needs a 3 day pass at presale face value, DM me because I can’t go

Edit: sold

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the chances seem to be getting higher i'll end up here

alkalinexandy likes this.
  10. cwhit

so uh who wants to go and be my friend?

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday. I may go Sunday too, if I can get my hands on a cheap enough pass... The more I listen to that Julien Baker record, the more it might sway me into going that day. Haha.

12. cwhit

yeah if i go i'll only go friday/saturday, would like to see julien but it's not worth the extra hundred bucks for that day

13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I skipped Sunday. Eminem is "watchable but whatever" and I've seen the Decemberists before. The Alvvays and Julien Baker would be great to see, but I was initially feeling "eh" about seeing them in the middle of a big field in the afternoon. Haha. Just not the setting for that sort of thing.

14. cwhit

friday gives me charly bliss, big thief, alex g, noname, perfume genius, paramore, the national.
    saturday gives me menzingers, manchester, brockhampton, st vincent, tyler

pretty great. i've never seen big thief, perfume genius, brockhampton or tyler on new material as well.

15. i mean i'm gonna be there but not gonna be your friend

Ben Buchnat, ALT/MSC/FAN and Matt like this.
  16. cwhit

good

scott likes this.
  17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Food line-up is up.

Hopefully they work out the issues with lines, et cetera this year but either way... I'm really happy that Tasty Burger, Roxy's, and El Pelon will be there.

18. alkalinexandy Apr 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2018)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

They're announcing some "first-come, first-serve" acoustic sets today via e-mail at 11am EST. Not sure who the bands are or how many they're doing, but you probably need to be quick on the trigger finger to get in. There's only 50 slots per set. They'll be taking place on the fest grounds.

You have to buy your tickets by 10am EST today to get the e-mail/to be able to RVSP.

Fingers-crossed for the Menzingers and/or Paramore!

19. cwhit

i imagine big thief is one of them

20. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Potentially. They're saying the performances will be by "mystery artists." Hah. I'm not sure if that means they'll be announcing them at 11 today and you sign up for specific ones, or if it'll be a mystery until day of.

If they're keeping them a secret, I'd guess it's going to be somebody higher up on the bill than Big Thief.

cwhit likes this.
  21. chris_williams67

Regular

Paramore is pretty likely, I don’t know who Sunday’s artists would be.

22. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The e-mail just went out. No word on who the artists are yet. You just put in your name/e-mail and pick the days you'll be there.

They'll be sending out notifications by end of day today if you made it in.

23. chris_williams67

Regular

I signed up for sunday even though I’m only going for Eminem. I was very late so I doubt I get a spot but might as well.

24. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Got on the list for Saturday! No announcement yet as to who the band is, but they'll be sending an e-mail "week of show" with the band, performance time, and where the set's going to be.

I'm definitely intrigued as to who it is, but Saturday is going to be my busiest day by far... So we'll see how it goes, ha.

25. BackwardsDuck

kcauQ

I got Saturday too! I'm wondering if we are able to cancel if we end up not being able to fit it in cause Saturday is my busiest day as well