Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

laughter in a theater is great but thats never guaranteed, even with movies like this that are hilarious. audience has to be at least semi full and on the same page.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I think getting people to leave their houses to do anything is a larger societal problem than just films and unfortunately smaller movies like this are basically ground zero

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I actually thought it did well in the cast diversity department, to the extent that I thought about it at all. That definitely seems to be missing (or ignoring) that this is an R-rated female led teen comedy coming out against a couple huge movies on a holiday, but of course framing it as a “flop” for a thumbnail and coming at it for this specific reason kind of seems like an argument that’s hard to take at face value anyway.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Tracking box office numbers is incredibly fun and interesting.

U r cop.

5. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Couldn’t make it past the halfway mark. Girl needs to stop yelling at me and do some better research.

Can’t argue with the thesis (people don’t want to see this because we are soured on white lead movies) but the way the argument is being made is so tired and hyperbolic. Same talk happened with lady bird where people attacked Greta’s credentials and invoked moonlight, which is a totally different comp. this argument has also been hijacked by covert homophobes who can’t accept that gay movies like this are also few and far between.

Screaming about intersectionality when you can’t be bothered to look up the ethnicity of the Aladdin leads and ignoring the importance of the queer character in this movie is ridiculous and shows that you are trying to get a reaction more than genuinely make your argument

She argues as if Olivia was portraying this as an Oscar winner and her first words are “I haven’t seen the movie and it’s getting good reviews” so it’s hard to take this seriously at all.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

tbf leaving the house is often a scam

coleslawed likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

9. A good number of celebrities have been endorsing it, which is cool.

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol that's a societal issue. If we built our towns and cities to be more communal, we could solve a lot of issues.

Booksmart screenings in the town square!!!

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Sadly, box office numbers is heavily relied on in Hollywood to judge success. On the other side, I’m not a numbers or statistics guy, but I regularly check box office mojo dot com on Sundays to see the predictions.

I’m a cop.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Holy fuck this was great. From the party to the end is amazing.

13. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Loved this. Super funny and just overall solid film. Even though I’m a guy I feel that I could definitely relate to parts of it and that just makes the movie much better.

At first I really didn’t like Jared for obvious reasons but then I actually really enjoyed and liked his character by the end of the movie.

They need to make more movies like this. Coming of age comedy is one of my fave genres, far too little of them are made.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Coming of age is my new favorite genre. Booksmart, Lady Bird, Eighth Grade, Call Me By Your Name, Spectacular Now

15. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Spectacular Now was so good. Been trying to find time to watch Eighth Grade one of these days. The Edge of Seventeen is the best coming of age film I've seen.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Yes, I was trying to think of others and forgot that one

17. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Love, Simon was a good one too imo

18. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

The Kings of Summer is another great one

And of course, Moonlight.

19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I just realized Diana Silvers is the lead teenager in Ma haha

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. The Way Way Back?

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

now we know why Octavia is being mean to her it's because she was mean to Amy

Zilla, maryp1603 and ghostedaway like this.
  22. This was soooo good!

Gigi was my favorite, but actually, the entire cast was amazing. Everyone was super solid.

Can’t wait to see this again!

Fun fact:
    Dan the Automator composed the score.

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Didn’t know until today Gigi was played by Billie Lourde, I don’t know her other work but by her mother.

She was a great comedic addition to the scenes she was in

bradsonemanband likes this.
  24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

You need to watch Scream Queens

yung_ting and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  25. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

The elected King of young film twitter, Timmy Chalamet, has now also posted about this movie on Instagram. I think we are winning the war.

Dodger, Mrplum5089, Zilla and 2 others like this.