Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Made me think of Smashing Pumpkins 1979

Maybevictor likes this.
  2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Joins the ranks of Kings of Summer, Edge of Seventeen, Easy A and Lady Bird as one of the best modern coming of age films. Might actually be the best of the lot

Incredible

3. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Beanie’s facial expressions in the window at the end had me absolutely cracking up.

4. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I live a somewhat smaller town so the theater doesn't really pack out unless it's a blockbuster. That was the case for the showing I went to on Saturday night but there were a couple of older adults and they were dying laughing. I really hope this continues to get good word of mouth and more people check it out.

5. Just left the theater so there’s still plenty of time for this to marinate, but I wasn’t as into this as I expected. Lots of really amazing stuff to praise but also quite a few things that imo just didn’t really work. Net positive for sure though

6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I didn’t realize the discourse surrounding the box office numbers for this turned so sour on twitter until this morning. My timeline got flooded with tweets both complaining about the movie and its “stans” (for a lack of a better term), and also tweets from people complaining about people complaining. Super messy.

7. This was really good. I hope movies like this keep getting made.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. yung_ting May 28, 2019
    (Last edited: May 28, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Billie Lourd was so good, makes me wanna rewatch Scream Queens

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Seeing this tonight, alone. Can’t wait!

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The entirety of the final party sequence is a few steps above the rest of the film for me. Keep thinking about a couple moments in particular and how beautifully they were done. I hope she does a full drama soon where a lot of those choices and strengths can shine.

trevorshmevor and Mrplum5089 like this.
  12. Jake Gyllenhaal

For the first quarter of the movie I was a little disappointed in that the best jokes I've already seen in the trailer. Definitely got better both comedy and drama wise by the end

13. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I kept thinking how much I wanted this to be a full-on drama

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  14. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

About to see this now. Had to get seats in the first row cause everything else was basically bought so that’s bad for me but good for the movie

15. maryp1603 May 28, 2019
    (Last edited: May 28, 2019)
    maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Curious to hear other’s thoughts on this. If you don’t want to watch the entire thing, since it’s pretty long, premise is basically don’t be surprised Booksmart flopped because people would rather support Aladdin and The Intruder because it’s filled with POC leads versus this film being with two white girls and that this movie has nothing to offer in the diversity department.

Agree? Disagree?

16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Who is the POC lead in Brightburn?

Either way, issue is that Aladdin is a family film and Disney at that. Brightburn attracts the comic book and horror fans. This is a independent dramedy with unknown leads/etc. Personally, I don’t think it should’ve opened wide.

17. Having a queer lead does offer representation in the overall diversity department, I would think.

This discussion thread was on my timeline the other day.

18. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

It flopped because it opened against a ton of blockbusters, has virtually no known box office draw actors, is a comedy in 2019 getting a major release when it really should just be an indie... I dont feel like diversity is an issue for it lol

19. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

Favorite movie of the year, so far.

20. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Sorry, mis-spoke. She references The Intruder, not Brightburn. Fixed.

jkauf likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Release dates nowadays have to be so strategic, so now blockbuster movies are opening in February and March because the lack of competition. I’m surprised this opened on Memorial Day weekend. It could have done well in August but then again a similar comedy Good Boys will be out.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and jkauf like this.
  22. Ya the blockbuster competition is too high right now. Couldn't have helped that it got dropped on Netflix in other countries, so an HD rip leaked online immediately on theatrical release.

23. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

studio comedy is in a very dire state right now. I think since ticket prices are so high most people are only going to theaters to see blockbusters because thats something you cant really replicate at home. Comedy is just as funny at a theater as it is at home, and with the internet has become so diversified that its really taken a bite out of the prospect of going to a theater for comedy.
    It's a bummer I guess but idk why this problem has to be leveled specifically at this movie.*

*Well actually I do and its becuase its an practically all female crew and cast..

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I definitely think the contagious laughter in a theater helps but I understand people thinking differently

I also think people talk too much about box office numbers, obviously important for something like Booksmart and I want it to succeed but if you track box office predictions for fun you're a cop

25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is still playing, correct?? Did it under-perform expectations? This seems like the kind of movie that wouldn't necessarily open like gangbusters but would hopefully catch on with good word-of-mouth. Pretty much everyone I hear from who has seen this says it is fantastic.