Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I couldn't tell if the cultural appropriation with Gigi was part of the joke or not, I think Billie just made her likable, she could have easily been a caricature

2. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah this was pretty hilarious

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

6.5 million :(

ghostedaway likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

5. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Saw this last night and I absolutely loved it. Super bummed it's not doing as well as they were hoping.

6. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t even know this movie existed until last week but now seeing the trailer and reviews I am so excited to see this. Probably gonna go on Tuesday or Wednesday.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Saw this again with the girlfriend. There was surpringly a lot of older people there. Audience seemed to laugh pretty. The whole van sequence got huge laughs.

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got done and a bunch of the theater clapped when it was over. Haven’t seen that outside of a big blockbuster in forever.

I loved it overall. It wouldn’t top Perks or Lady Bird for me, but I’ll have to see it again for a better idea. I think the dance sequence and the pool shot may have been my favorite moments. I also really loved Jared.

Agree that the student teacher plot felt out of place and some parts were a bit too frenetic for me, but that’s about it on the negative side.

imthesheriff likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Why didn’t I notice this Bergman shout out earlier.

10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m thinking/hoping this will maintain with word of mouth?

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My theater was pretty full just now, and a bunch of different age ranges. Obviously that’s just one showing, but I hope people just couldn’t get around to it earlier and now it will pick up.

12. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

There were 3 people (including myself) in the theater when I saw this :(

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My theater was so full I barely got a ticket

Night Channels likes this.
  14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I saw people turned away at the 7:15 showing I went to on Thursday.

15. Night Channels

Trusted

Couldn't get two tickets together for my fiance and I at Alamo Drafthouse last night or tonight. We are seeing it at Cinemark instead in about an hour.

16. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah tried yesterday and again and all of the showings before 10pm were pretty full. I thought it was because drafthouse was pushing this pretty well but AMC was kind of full too. Really hope it catches on, ive been telling everyone i know about it.

Night Channels likes this.
  17. Night Channels

Trusted

This was so good.

It reminded me of Can’t Hardly Wait and Superbad.

I hate that it’s not doing well at the box office.

18. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

This is the first movie I’ve ever seen that features an openly queer teenager as a lead role, who openly discusses her crushes with her BFF and has one of the most accurate and honest depictions of queer sex I think I’ll ever see in cinema that isn’t catered to horny dudes (and also showcases how awful sex education is for LGBT+ kids).
    This is the movie I wish I had as a closeted kid and I’m so glad it exists.

19. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Doin’ a thing if anyone wants to RT who has a Twitter account:

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  20. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Going in for Round 2 shortly, screening is totally booked, hopefully the crowd is into it this time.

maryp1603, Zilla and Night Channels like this.
  21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah our screening was packed out. crazy to hear so much about how big some of the screenings have been with how little business it did

22. Night Channels

Trusted

I'm interested to see how much it earned Sunday and today. Hopefully word of mouth/social media hyped it up enough.

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This movie lived up to the hype. The pool/post-pool scenes were so well done to get at me at an emotional level

24. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Glad I got to watch it again. Crowd was totally into it and it was a delight just like the first time.

Gigi was even more enjoyable on rewatch and I felt like Jared worked even better knowing where his character development led him.

The stuff with Theo and the teacher felt a lot more awkward this time around since I wasn’t caught up in everything else and even though it was out of place it seemed to earn some laughs from the room with the graduation payoff

The pool scene is still so good. That could seriously work as an alt music video for slip away. Even though I knew what was coming the whole sequence made me feel so many things. I still think Kaitlyn was the MVP that made the emotional moments of the movie hit as well as they did, but Beanie sells that scene with Nick so well, both are truly incredible.

I’ll probably try to go again next week once my a-list resets, but either way this will definitely be a movie I own. Really boosts my mood.

25. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter