Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Only did 2.5 mil yesterday. It was projected 13 million for the weekend, so that is...not great.

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Not surprised by that but damn was I hoping this would catch on

3. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I heard it was pulled back from a wider release at the last minute

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I thought I read on Box Office Mojo that it was predicted to do higher single digits or low double digits.

5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

really sucks that all the non-john wick movies i’m lining this year seem to not be hitting

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this is getting good word of mouth it feels like which hopefully helps

I wish Megan Ellison was as good at running a studio as she is at picking good movies

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It has to be tough trying to market a comedy where the stars aren't really known to general public (I'm sure a lot of people recognize Kaitlin Devers from "Last Man Standing," but that's 100% not its audience) and Disney occupies so much of the oxygen so early in the summer.

I have to imagine that if this were an Apatow production (and I'm glad it's not), a major studio would have bought it and it would make $20 million in its first weekend. Annapurna just doesn't have the same marketing arm/ability to get in as many theaters as possible. Genuinely hope word of mouth gets this out there and it doesn't end up a Netflix cult film.

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Some of the artistic choices made here (which I loved, btw) will probably limit it's overall reach, even though it should be required viewing for anyone ages 16-25

Zilla and Mrplum5089 like this.
  9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

at least the worst case scenario is millions of people eventually finding and loving this haha, but it is interesting seeing people discover things on Netflix

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That’s true. It doesn’t really put any money in the production’s pockets though since nobody’s really paying for it.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This hurts to read

13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The fact remains that this movie rules, Olivia Wilde rules, Beanie Feldstein RULES, Kaitlin Dever rules, and Billie Lourde FUCKING RULES.

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m really bummed it leaked. That couldn’t have helped.

16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Wow. Didn’t know that. From the looks of it, it’s available on Netflix internationally, so maybe that’s where it’s from.

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I plan on seeing it Monday. It sucks she has to plead to go see it since the movie industry relies so heavily on first weekend returns

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah the movie industry really needs to get with where tv is on that.

19. eight30

Regular

This made me really happy.

ghostedaway likes this.
  20. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I really wanted to love this
    IMO a lot of this was great but some parts not so much
    Gigi’s character didn’t make sense to me
    Teacher going to the party and banging a student was mega yikes

imthesheriff and trevorshmevor like this.
  21. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t know...they went really out of their way to establish he was 20.

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I do agree that it overall felt very unnecessary, but I'm very glad they established he was 20

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

And Gigi is fully that person who is just at every party and you’re like “how?0

24. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I don’t think I’ve never experienced a Gigi
    I was expecting to find this movie more relatable based on the premise but I guess it wasn’t for me

trevorshmevor likes this.
  25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I took Gigi as kind of like Drunk Girl in “Can’t Hardly Wait,” just this goofy reoccurring character that’s just there for some laughs.

chewbacca110 likes this.