Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

The pool sequence with that Perfume Genius song really makes the movie. It sets up the one-take argument, which is incredible work for a first-time director. Olivia is super intelligent and knows what actors need, so she's going to have a great directorial career.

2. GBlades

Trusted

This is one of my favourite films recently. Reminds me of the hype Superbad got when it came out and it could be an absolute classic

imthesheriff likes this.
  3. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

The casting director of this movie is a legend (Allison Jones). She's put together so many iconic casts. Look her up.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

Freaks & Geeks!

Brother Beck and Mike J like this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Early this morning I had a dream I was with extended family at a summer home in a resort town and Olivia Wilde happened to be there and I couldn't stop talking/complimenting her regarding this movie.

MysteryKnight and Dodger like this.
  6. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Definitely going to get some new viewers thanks to this.

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

I hope this ends up on a streaming service. I know this might not mean much in terms of revenue, but IMO a film is a success if people have access to it, love it, and spread the word.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Olivia is on this week’s Off Camera. Really great to see there’s still some good publicity surrounding this film, and hopefully it picks up a little steam as graduations continue.

coleslawed and AWasteOfATime like this.
  9. So cute.

more: 1 2 3

10. flask

Trusted Supporter

This was highly entertaining and BEAUTIFULLY shot. Everything at the party looked amazing. The dance scene, The karaoke scene, and obviously the pool.

11. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

What I didn’t like: that it was either centered around the most privileged high school ever or the plot driving point of everyone getting into and attending Ivy League schools was out of touch and dumb, and the teacher hooking up with a student was just awful taste regardless of age.
    What I liked: Pretty much everything else. Good time.

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw this again because I figured it'd be leaving theaters soon, and somehow the theater was packed other than the front row and four other seats. Still loved this film as much as before, and hopefully every actor in here ends up with a huge career afterward, Wet Hot American Summer-style

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

:panda:

14. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Ling Ling!

15. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Yeah. The entire Miss Fine story was unnecessary IMO. Take her out and I really don’t see much impact that couldn’t be tweaked in the editing room. Felt like she was only there to buy them booze and be “cool.” That’s the only aspect of the film that I really didn’t like at all.

Also, about the Ivy League bit: it’s a gag that is pretty low-hanging fruit due to the main plot, but it’s also fun to pretend it's in reference to the recent admissions scandal, haha. Orange County has a similar running bit about over privileged kids getting into schools above their GPA.

16. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

crossed 20 million for a 6mil budget
    [​IMG]

17. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

unrelated but god I love moneyball

Zilla, DrAlanGrant and stayillogical like this.
  18. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I watched Moneyball three times in theaters. It was a weird situation where I went to free screenings at different theaters, but I totally wanted to see it again.

Zilla and Mrplum5089 like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

At least it made money, to whatever extent

20. Jake Gyllenhaal

It'll clean up in DVD sales

21. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

I think nowadays its usually only 3 months after hitting theaters

ghostedaway likes this.
  23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Day one buy for sure

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m just happy it’s still in theaters. I expected it to get pulled pretty quickly after the lackluster start. Glad they’ve let it get some time to breathe.

25. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

This is going out of theaters around me this week all when I was set to go see it again this weekend :verysad:

Agreed, though I liked that the point of the ivy league bit was to undermine the idea that kids in high school that party are also dumb and don't try.

Miss Fine got robbed of a good plot, and for a movie that for all the diversity of the men failed to give us a more diverse cast of women that was disappointing. As much as I ADORE everyone they cast, it is a shame that they only had one woman of color and she gets an awful storyline.