Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde; May 24, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 11, 2019.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lot of buzz from SXSW

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Has the same RTJ song as the Good Boys trailer lol

3. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

This looks amazing

4. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Saw the trailer this morning and I really want to see it. Looks like a great team developing it with an even greater cast.

5. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Saw a screening last night with a cast/director Q&A afterwards. The entire theater was laughing from the first minute until the credits rolled, I was in stitches.

This is a movie to watch. I foresee it winning lots of awards. It’s basically like LadyBird and Superbad tossed in a blender.

Make sure you see this film as soon as it hits theaters. Honestly, the trailer doesn’t even begin to do it justice (I didn’t even watch the trailer before seeing it.)

Jake Gyllenhaal and morgantayler like this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

highly anticipated!!! beanie is a star!!

DrAlanGrant and Jonathan like this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

hopefully seeing this tomorrow

Jonathan likes this.
  8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This is so great to hear

Jonathan likes this.
  9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Honestly my friend and I were on a total high and we’re sad we have to wait until next month to see it again.

Serh likes this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh fuck I'm gonna get too excited now

Jonathan likes this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Related: I really wish I didn't have to miss the screening/Q&A with Olivia Wilde that was in Cambridge about a week or so ago. That kills

Jonathan likes this.
  12. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

It was a lot of fun. I’m so glad we had a good moderator and good audience questions - whole cast and Olivia were delightful.

Went to see the screening of “Sister Brothers” with a John C. Reilly last week, and the moderator was awful coupled with the most unimaginative audience questions.

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was near perfect. Honestly not able to overstate how much I enjoyed this. Possible prisoner of the moment speaking here, but I really think this deserves to be in the Lady Bird/Edge of Seventeen/Perks of Being a Waterflower realm. At the least

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Absolutely loved this. Haven’t laughed this hard in a theater since the Jump Street movies.

Jonathan, Serh and Jason Tate like this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Right? I couldn't believe the majority of my theater wasn't eating it up alongside me

Jonathan and Zilla like this.
  16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I was surrounded by a bunch of older folks that I assumed were there because of maybe Kaitlyn Dever and her association with “Last Man Standing.” I thought they’d leave once they realized her character was gay.

I was wrong. They laughed super hard. This one much older lady next housed an entire box of popcorn and was laughing her ass off. It was a special experience.

17. Serh May 1, 2019
    (Last edited: May 1, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I envy you man. Thought for sure I'd get a more alive crowd than I did. Only thing that would've made the movie better for me. Regardless, this is my favorite film of the year thus far, and I don't see more than a few topping it

coleslawed and Zilla like this.
  18. Serh May 12, 2019
    (Last edited: May 12, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Maybe living in a blue state, but I tend to be the youngest in the crowd of older folks when going to screenings of indie movies and independent theaters. I look forward to seeing this but a lot of indie movies with younger cast tends to bring about the Boomers, more recently Lady Bird and Edge of Seventeen.

Zilla likes this.
  20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I was one of the younger people in the audience there too. I think it was because it was an AMC A-List only screening and maybe the youths don’t have that. Definitely wasn’t the case with Eighth Grade. Nothing but young people there.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this was great and I love how comedies can be progressive instead of regressive and be fucking hilarious
    Mike O'Brien and Billie Lourd both stole the movie
    I guess Beanie has to be in any movie directed by an actress now
    all the little details were great like how of course a theater kid would sing You Oughta Know at karaoke

22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This was really incredible. Jokes, acting, directing, and soundtrack all really clicked to make one of the better films this year and probably my favorite in this genre since Superbad.

Jonathan and Zilla like this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Jonathan likes this.
  24. This was great. Definitely closer to Blockers than to Lady Bird or Edge of Seventeen, in terms of the balance between comedy and drama. So like, not as poignant, but the laughs were bigger. (Eighth Grade is straight up horror. We don't talk about that one.)

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I dunno, that scene where the two girls are arguing after the pool and the music frowns out the argument and you see the iPhone lights slowly pop up was pretty masterful. Like, that’s great for a drama, let alone a comedy.

chewbacca110 and Jonathan like this.