Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Book Lists 2019 Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. tvck

Trusted

My read list so far for this year:
    1. Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
    2. Artemis
    3. Red Rising (Red Rising #1)
    4. Golden Son (Red Rising #2)
    5. Morning Star (Red Rising #3)
    6. Iron Gold (Red Rising #4)

Currently reading:
    1. The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality
    - This book/story is so good. Definitely needed a break from the Sci-Fi and needed something grounded in reality. This story is still unbelievable.

Trying to decide if I'll just read some more 1 off books until Dark Age comes out, or start another series (thinking I might start the Silo series).

2. Joel Gustafson

A glass can only spill what it contains

The way I read the ending was the kids are ghosts and that's how other kids discover the mass grave, going back to the idea that some places have to want to be found, so I read it as the power is still alive and strong.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I gravitate towards bummer books like memoirs of ppl who dealt with racist bs or sociological books on how much the world sucks, but I'd like to read something more positive. It doesn't even have to be positive like just don't make me hate the world more. I like nonfiction like the last book I read was the sociology of fear which was more lighthearted but also still had that interesting hook for me, so idk if anyone has any recs I'm open! I don't rly read a lot of fiction but I'm not necessarily opposed either. I'm thinking of getting over my disdain of librarians and getting a library card, if they will even let me get a library card at this point!! So hit me up with suggestions!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Harry Potter

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Never heard of it what's it about??

4 real tho I do love hp 1-3 and I like the others too, but after the end of goblet of fire when things get real and it's not just about relatable kid wizards doing fun and whimsical wizard things, I am out. Nothing will ever capture my awe and imagination as much as Prisoner of Azkaban did. I dreamed of Hogsmeade and that tree and the marauders so much lmao. My poor book is stained with dirt and Cheeto dust and ripping at the seam.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. tvck

Trusted

That's where I stopped as well

Kiana likes this.
  7. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Update

2019 List:
    1. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
    2. Skyward - Brandon Sanderson
    3. Deadhouse Gates (Malazan #2) - Steven Erikson
    4. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs - Stephen Brusatte
    5. Origin - Dan Brown
    6. Stinger - Robert McCammon
    7. The Border - Don Winslow
    8. Dreamcatcher - Stephen King
    9. The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion #2) - Dan Simmons
    10. The Wonga Coup: Guns, Thugs, and a Ruthless Determination to Create Mayhem in an Oil-Rich Corner of Africa - Adam Roberts (currently reading)
    11. No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy (currently listening)

Dreamcatcher was good but wouldn't put it in my top tier King books. Enjoyed The Fall of Hyperion but I think I liked the first book better. I'm excited to read the rest of the series.

8. Update on my list. I haven’t read nearly as much as usual this year. Life gets in the way, especially went a book feels like a bit of a slog.

The Passage has a premise that seems tailor made for me, and the first 250 pages are so good, like a perfect mash up of King and Crichton. After that it takes huge turn that I disliked so much that it took me almost three months to read the rest of the book. It did pick up again by the end, but the middle 300 pages really didn’t work for me. Anyone here read the rest of that series? Is it worth continuing?

9. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Okay, update time. I have some thoughts. I already talked about January and February books a while back, so I'll do March and April now.

First off, I feel like I haven't read as much this year as I'd like, but I'm only about four books behind to be on track for 100 this year, so that's cool. I'm also almost done with three that I've been working on for a few weeks. So I guess all's well.

Now, novels. Everyone needs to go read Dark Matter right now. Like right now. Maybe I'm late to the game and you've all read it already. I'd heard of Wayward Pines but that was the extent of it. The cover of Dark Matter caught my eye and I bought it and read it in like three days. Absolutely loved it. Also, I listened to The Graveyard Book on audio, and for the first hour or so I was suuuuuuuuper bored. I like Gaiman a lot, so I pushed through, and then—it completely picked up and I loved the rest of it and it became an instant classic for me, one I'll likely read to my kids at bedtime and all that. Not sure why I had such a hard time at first, but it was worth sticking with it.

Other stuff. The Fatale comics have been fun, I get a little lost trying to follow the timeline sometimes but I think I've got it all squared away now. Only one more volume, and I'm excited to see how it all gets wrapped up. Arslan has been neat, and Kimi ni Todoke is one of my favorite anime/manga series, so reading another volume was a real treat. I'm glad I've got like 20+ left of that. I should probably do a rewatch of the show when I finish the manga; my wife's never seen them. As far as New 52 Batman goes, I don't like Detective Comics or The Dark Knight as much as the main Batman series, but Emperor Penguin was actually really interesting and Mad was pretty good too, and I'm definitely going to keep reading. I think I'll probably try to catch up with the main Batman series before I read the last couple volumes of that, and then I can move onto Rebirth, which will be exciting. Or maybe I'll just delve into all the amazing older Batman stuff lol. Finally, Wolverines... hm. I don't hate the Wolverines run as much as a lot of people seem to (it's at like 2.9 on Goodreads; I'd give it probably 3.5), but it's definitely not great. It's not like I'm forcing myself to finish it, there are some good moments, but overall it's very lackluster following the excellent Death of Wolverine. Still, only one more TPB and then I get to move on to Hunt for Wolverine and then Return, and I'm beyond excited for both of those, so it's all good.

I'm currently reading The Buried Giant by Ishiguro, which is funny and profound and interesting and also pretty slow, so it's taking me a little while, but I'll likely have that done this weekend. I'm also almost done with Dolkart's Silent Hall, which I'm finding to be delightful and I'm excited about continuing the series soon afterward. I'm not sure what's up next. I might pick up another big fantasy/sci-fi from my mountainous pile of TBRs, I might pursue the next book in an ongoing series (looking at you guys, Malazan/Cosmere/etc.), or I might give myself a quick YA/horror breather or something first.

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Novels

1). The White Luck Warrior (The Aspect-Emperor #2) - R Scott Bakker
    2.) The Great Ordeal (The Aspect-Emperor #3) - R Scott Bakker
    3.) The Unholy Consult (The Aspect-Emperor #4) - R Scott Bakker
    4.) Spores - Ike Hamill
    5.) The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #1) - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
    6.) Before They Are Hanged (The First Law #2) - Joe Abercrombie
    7.) Unbury Carol - Josh Malerman
    8.) The Dunwich Horror - H P Lovecraft
    9.) Providence - Caroline Kepnes
    10.) Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3) - Joe Abercrombie
    11.) Hex - Thomas Olde Heuvelt
    12.) Best Served Cold (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    13.) Dustfall: What Lies Beneath (#5) - J Thorn & Glynn James
    14.) The Heroes (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    15.) Experimental Film - Gemma Files
    16.) Red Country (The First Law World) - Joe Abercombie
    17.) Sharp Ends (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    18.) The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1) - Jenn Lyons
    19.) The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1) - Cixin Liu
    20.) A Shadow in Summer (The Long Price Quartet #1) - Daniel Abraham
    21.) Encounter (War for Earth #3) - Zach Bohannon & J Thorn
    22.) Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy #3) - Ian C. Esslemont
    23.) A Betrayal in Winter (The Long Price Quartet #2) - Daniel Abraham
    24.) The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth's Past #2) - Cixin Liu
    25.) Sefira and Other Betrayals - John Langan

Comics

1.) Intersect: Metamorph (#1) - Ray Fawkes
    2.) Masquerade (Project Superpowers) - Phil Hester, Carlos Paul, & Alex Ross
    3.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels (#1) - Mike Mignola & Ben Stenbeck
    4.) Abe Sapien: The Drowning (#1) - Mike Mignola & Jason Shawn Alexander
    5.) Hellboy: The Wild Hunt (Omnibus #3) - Mike Mignola & Duncan Fegredo
    6.) 303 - Garth Ennis & Jacen Burrows
    7.) Northlanders (complete series) - Brian Wood
    8.) After the Cape (#1) - Howard Wong & Jim Valentino
    9.) Batman: Night Cries - Archie Goodwin & Scott Hampton
    10.) Batman: No Man's Land (#1) - Greg Rucka, Alex Maleev...
    11.) Angel and Faith (Season 10) - Victor Gischler & Will Conrad
    12.) The Fade Out - Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips
    13.) Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 10) - Christos Gage & Rebekah Isaacs
    14.) Angel (Season 11) - Corinna Bechko & Geraldo Borges
    15.) Ravine (#1) - Stjepan Šejić & Ron Marz
    16.) Batman: No Man's Land (#2) - Greg Rucka, Dan Jurgens...
    17.) Huntress: Year One - Ivory Madison & Cliff Richards
    18.) Batman/ Huntress: Cry For Blood - Greg Rucka, Rick Burchett, & Terry Beatty
    19.) Batman: Cacophany - Kevin Smith & Walter Flanagan
    20.) Punisher: In the Blood - Rick Remender, Roland Boschi, & Mick Bertilorenzi
    21.) The Umbrella Academy: The Apocalypse Suite (#1) - Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá, & Dave Stewart
    22.) Batman: No Man's Land (#3) - Chuck Dixon, Dennis O'Neil, Janet Harvey...
    23.) The Umbrella Academy: Dallas (#2) - Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá, & Dave Stewart
    24.) Ravine (#2) - Stjepan Šejić & Ron Marz
    25.) Batman: No Man's Land (#4) - Greg Rucka, Dale Eaglesham...
    26.) Uber - Kieron Gillen, Canaan White & Gabriel Andrade
    27.) Crisis on Infinite Earths - Marv Wolfman & George Perez
    28.) Sunstone: Mercy (#6)- Stjepan Šejić
    29.) Batman/Scarecrow Year One - Bruce Jones, Sean Murphy, & Lee Loughridge
    30.) Mera: Tidebreaker - Danielle Paige & Stephen Bryne
    31.) Blood Stain (#1) - Linda Šejić
    32.) Lady Killer (#1) - Joëlle Jones, Jamie S. Rich & Laura Allred
    33.) Lady Killer (#2) - Joëlle Jones & Michelle Madsen
    34.) Replacer - Zac Thompson, Arjuna Susini & Dee Cunniffe
    35.) Batman (Brubaker collection #2) - Ed Brubaker, Scott McDaniel & Andy Owens
    36.) God Is Dead (Complete series) - Jonathan Hickman, Mike Costa...
    37.) Shutter (Complete series) - Joe Keatinge & Leila Del Duca
    38.) Plutona - Jeff Lemire, Emi Lenox & Jordie Bellaire
    39.) Mockingbird: I Can Explain (#1) - Chelsea Cain & Kate Niemczyk
    40.) Mockingbird: My Feminist Agenda (#2) - Chelsea Cain & Kate Niemczyk

Long Price Quartet has been pretty great so far. It's more or less fantasy without any action(battle scenes, more specifically). It totally works, I've teared up a few times. I'm actually crazy excited to start reading the Expanse series when I finish it. With Kellanved's Reach I got to return to my home of the Malazan world and I couldn't have been happier. It was fucking short though. John Langan continues to write some of the oddest and smartest horror literature in the game, I prefer his novels to his shorter work though.

Sunstone: Mercy seems like it's going to be a good time, it's not necessarily focusing on my favorite characters but I'm digging it. I also checked out Blood Stain from his wife Linda, and it's like eerie that they both have such similar art styles, which is by itself a really original art style. Since Stjepan is my favorite artist that works out well. Lady Killer was great, Joelle Jones is fucking great. I have this weird thing where I love Ed Brubaker, and I love Batman, but his run is just okay to me, and I always hear it described as "legendary." I think I'm just not the world's biggest fan of McDaniels art, which I've been seeing a lot of having been going through every batman issue from Knightfall on. I prefer Gotham Central.

God Is Dead was dope as hell, like if War of the Realms was good. All religion vs all religion in a glorious bloodbath. Shutter was okay, lots of arcs better than others, I really loved Alarm Cat though. Plutona was great, Jeff Lemire writing like a super hero story meets Mean Creek. Chelsea Cain is so goddamn talented and comes up with such original ideas, it's crazy that she hasn't been working in comics for forever.

@Dave Diddy Well you were right. Dark Forest is incredible. I liked Three Body but that was a whole new level. I'm currently half way through Death's End and I might end up liking it even more. (I'm at Broadcast era

Dave Diddy and Garrett L. like this.
  11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Updated with a total of 7 for April.

The highlight was Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. Haven't enjoyed a 'classic' like that for a while. Great analysis about a range of topics (Victorian marriage/relationships, religion and barriers between educated and uneducated classes). I'm glad it was interesting and I remained engaged throughout because sometimes my attention can drift with these old books.

I enjoyed Alice Hoffman's Faithful, which I only read because it was mentioned in an interview with Hayley Williams. But a good read.

I found the book about habits interesting but it was by a journalist summarising a whole range of research and stories - made for a good read and I learnt a bit, but I would have liked to have read something by the actual experts.

12. Dave Diddy

Yeah as much as I liked Three Body Problem it's my least favorite of the 3, which speaks to how good those 2 are. I finished Dreamcatcher. I'm sorry to say I don't quite share your enthusiasm for it. I liked it well enough but I wouldn't place it in my top tier King books.

13. Joel Gustafson

A glass can only spill what it contains

Updated my list for the end of April. Between working through The Stand (which I like so far) and not feeling like reading lately, it's been a slower month.

I already shared about Hex and The Hiding Place, but I liked Hex a lot and was pleasantly surprised by The Hiding Place. The Loney felt like it was trying to be both literary and spooky; it only did alright at both. I think John Langan's The Fisherman is a great example of how to do both well.

For non-fiction, I saw the description of The Frighteners and knew I was the target demographic. It's a well-written and insightful book on why we love horror and what Christians can learn from the genre (as opposed to avoiding it altogether). I've always had a lot of respect for Peter Enns, and his new book on how the Bible guides us to wisdom instead of just answers everything I've come to expect from him: hilarious, profound, and clear.

For comics, I'm enjoying War of the Realms and the two spin-offs of it that I'm picking up (Journey into Mystery and War Scrolls). I've also been spending more time with Scott Snyder and Greg Cappulo's run on Batman/Detective Comics.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Still not read any Peter Enns but I really must get round to it. The Frighteners sounds quite interesting too.

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think you’ve read RHE. She just passed away this morning.

16. Colby Searcy

Damn that's crazy awful. What happened?

I heard you 2 talk alot about her and was interested in her stuff because of it

17. Garrett

She had an allergic reaction to a UTI med and it caused her to start having seizures. They put her into a coma, but when they brought her back out, the seizures came back.

18. Colby Searcy

That's fucking terrifying and absolutely awful. Feel awful for her family. I know you were a fan as well, sorry to hear all this

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. Garrett

I wish i knew how to reach out to her dad. Amazing man.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

You said previously you had him as a professor right? Is he retired now?

21. Garrett

Yes. He’s not as far as I know. I can probably find his email on the school website. Or I also know a lot of people who probably have his contact information

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, I couldn't believe it when I saw the news. I knew she was in a coma but I was hoping she'd be ok. To hear that she died was such a shock. Life is so fragile. I feel so much sadness for her husband and young children.

Posted this to Instagram as a way of processing it and, in particular, to mark what Searching For Sunday did in my journey:

Garrett L. and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Dave Diddy

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Updated for May - read quite a number of books as I had a week off work for a holiday which was nice.

Two true highlights to recommend:
    1. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier was marvellous. A lot of these 'classic' novels can get dull in places, but this was enthralling throughout and I really did enjoy it. Well written and a great story. Pleased to have read it.
    2. Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton. This isn't out until later this year and I was fortunate enough to have a pre-release copy from Penguin, but it's well worth a read, particularly if you live in the UK. The book follows the three hours from the beginning of an attack at a school in the UK. We sadly often hear about school shootings in the US, but for me, this book can best be described as what if that happened over here? What would be the motives? How could it happen? How would the police react? It's a convincingly written and absorbing story following several characters - obviously harrowing to consider as it seems completely alien, but it was convincing. I don't want to say anything more but I was very impressed (and I went into it not expecting much). A great thriller. Thought provoking too.

I also really enjoyed Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Very quirky but it actually worked really well by the end. It felt like one of those that could go either way - annoying if the final few chapters didn't end well, inspired if they did. Fortunately for me it was the latter in this case. I liked the unique style overall. Saw that a film is coming and I have no idea if they'll be able to capture the magic of reading the book.

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Novels

1). The White Luck Warrior (The Aspect-Emperor #2) - R Scott Bakker
    2.) The Great Ordeal (The Aspect-Emperor #3) - R Scott Bakker
    3.) The Unholy Consult (The Aspect-Emperor #4) - R Scott Bakker
    4.) Spores - Ike Hamill
    5.) The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #1) - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
    6.) Before They Are Hanged (The First Law #2) - Joe Abercrombie
    7.) Unbury Carol - Josh Malerman
    8.) The Dunwich Horror - H P Lovecraft
    9.) Providence - Caroline Kepnes
    10.) Last Argument of Kings (The First Law #3) - Joe Abercrombie
    11.) Hex - Thomas Olde Heuvelt
    12.) Best Served Cold (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    13.) Dustfall: What Lies Beneath (#5) - J Thorn & Glynn James
    14.) The Heroes (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    15.) Experimental Film - Gemma Files
    16.) Red Country (The First Law World) - Joe Abercombie
    17.) Sharp Ends (The First Law World) - Joe Abercrombie
    18.) The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1) - Jenn Lyons
    19.) The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1) - Cixin Liu
    20.) A Shadow in Summer (The Long Price Quartet #1) - Daniel Abraham
    21.) Encounter (War for Earth #3) - Zach Bohannon & J Thorn
    22.) Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy #3) - Ian C. Esslemont
    23.) A Betrayal in Winter (The Long Price Quartet #2) - Daniel Abraham
    24.) The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth's Past #2) - Cixin Liu
    25.) Sefira and Other Betrayals - John Langan
    26.) Death's End (Remembrance of Earth's Past #3) - Cixin Liu
    27.) An Autumn War (The Long Price Quartet #3) - Daniel Abraham
    28.) Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse #1) - James S. A. Corey
    29.) The Price of Spring (The Long Price Quartet #4) - Daniel Abraham
    30.) Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) - James S. A. Corey
    31.) The Last Tower - J. Thorn
    32.) Cari Mora - Thomas Harris
    33.) Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse #3) - James S. A. Corey

Comics

1.) Intersect: Metamorph (#1) - Ray Fawkes
    2.) Masquerade (Project Superpowers) - Phil Hester, Carlos Paul, & Alex Ross
    3.) Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels (#1) - Mike Mignola & Ben Stenbeck
    4.) Abe Sapien: The Drowning (#1) - Mike Mignola & Jason Shawn Alexander
    5.) Hellboy: The Wild Hunt (Omnibus #3) - Mike Mignola & Duncan Fegredo
    6.) 303 - Garth Ennis & Jacen Burrows
    7.) Northlanders (complete series) - Brian Wood
    8.) After the Cape (#1) - Howard Wong & Jim Valentino
    9.) Batman: Night Cries - Archie Goodwin & Scott Hampton
    10.) Batman: No Man's Land (#1) - Greg Rucka, Alex Maleev...
    11.) Angel and Faith (Season 10) - Victor Gischler & Will Conrad
    12.) The Fade Out - Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips
    13.) Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 10) - Christos Gage & Rebekah Isaacs
    14.) Angel (Season 11) - Corinna Bechko & Geraldo Borges
    15.) Ravine (#1) - Stjepan Šejić & Ron Marz
    16.) Batman: No Man's Land (#2) - Greg Rucka, Dan Jurgens...
    17.) Huntress: Year One - Ivory Madison & Cliff Richards
    18.) Batman/ Huntress: Cry For Blood - Greg Rucka, Rick Burchett, & Terry Beatty
    19.) Batman: Cacophany - Kevin Smith & Walter Flanagan
    20.) Punisher: In the Blood - Rick Remender, Roland Boschi, & Mick Bertilorenzi
    21.) The Umbrella Academy: The Apocalypse Suite (#1) - Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá, & Dave Stewart
    22.) Batman: No Man's Land (#3) - Chuck Dixon, Dennis O'Neil, Janet Harvey...
    23.) The Umbrella Academy: Dallas (#2) - Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá, & Dave Stewart
    24.) Ravine (#2) - Stjepan Šejić & Ron Marz
    25.) Batman: No Man's Land (#4) - Greg Rucka, Dale Eaglesham...
    26.) Uber - Kieron Gillen, Canaan White & Gabriel Andrade
    27.) Crisis on Infinite Earths - Marv Wolfman & George Perez
    28.) Sunstone: Mercy (#6)- Stjepan Šejić
    29.) Batman/Scarecrow Year One - Bruce Jones, Sean Murphy, & Lee Loughridge
    30.) Mera: Tidebreaker - Danielle Paige & Stephen Bryne
    31.) Blood Stain (#1) - Linda Šejić
    32.) Lady Killer (#1) - Joëlle Jones, Jamie S. Rich & Laura Allred
    33.) Lady Killer (#2) - Joëlle Jones & Michelle Madsen
    34.) Replacer - Zac Thompson, Arjuna Susini & Dee Cunniffe
    35.) Batman (Brubaker collection #2) - Ed Brubaker, Scott McDaniel & Andy Owens
    36.) God Is Dead (Complete series) - Jonathan Hickman, Mike Costa...
    37.) Shutter (Complete series) - Joe Keatinge & Leila Del Duca
    38.) Plutona - Jeff Lemire, Emi Lenox & Jordie Bellaire
    39.) Mockingbird: I Can Explain (#1) - Chelsea Cain & Kate Niemczyk
    40.) Mockingbird: My Feminist Agenda (#2) - Chelsea Cain & Kate Niemczyk
    41.) Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again - Cullen Bunn & Dalibor Talajić
    42.) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 11 - Christos N Gage & Rebekah Isaacs
    43.) Blood Stain (#2) - Linda Šejić
    44.) Fight Club 2 - Chuck Palahniuk & Cameron Stewart
    45.) Transmetropolitan (complete series) - Warren Ellis, Darick Robertson & Rodney Ramos
    46.) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning (season 12) - Joss Whedon, Christos Gage, Karl Story & Stephanie Hans
    47.) The Movement: Class Warfare (#1) - Gail Simone & Freddie E. Williams II
    48.) Batman: Earth One (#2) - Geoff Johns, Gary Frank, Jon Sibal & Brad Anderson
    49.) The Movement: Fighting for the Future (#2) - Gail Simone & Freddie E. Williams II
    50.) Criminal: Coward - Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips
    51.) Prophet - Brandon Graham & Simon Roy
    52.) Prophet: Earth War - Brandon Graham, Simon Roy & Giannis Milonogiannis
    53.) Morning Glories (compendium vol 1-7) - Nick Spencer, Joe Eisma & Rodin Esquejo

Death's End was a masterpiece. I loved the series and it ended on its best book. Absolutely mindblowing. I finished the Long Price Quartet and adored it. The series didn't have really any battle scenes in the first two books and the third book completely topples everything and adds some incredible battle scenes to the already fascinating story. I probably liked Autumn War the best but the final book Price of Spring was a more than worthy end.

So here I am thinking that Daniel Abraham is the best so I go into the Expanse series with super high hopes and....I don't really like it. I haven't decided if I'm going to continue. I might. I'm still expecting there to be like a big villain that sucks me in. I don't know, it's a quick enough read.

Cari Mora was Thomas Harris (Hannibal series) first book in over a decade. It was pretty good. Not as good as his work in the Hannibal series. It was super fast paced and I read through it in one sitting. Reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad. It's a fun read but don't grab it expecting Thomas Harris to be back and changing the game.

I dug Fight Club 2, I loved how meta it got. Transmetropolitan was incredible and I feel like it deserves to be on any list of comic masterpieces. Loved Criminal, don't know why I waited so long to start this damn series. Prophet was insane, I don't think I got most of it but I sure loved being confused. I really liked Morning Glories...at first I loved it but the story has gotten pretty goddamn convoluted and there are like a million characters so I'm hoping something starts to make sense soon.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.