Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Book Lists 2018 Book • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Fair enough. I definitely get it because I tend to listen to stuff that I don't feel like or feel like I'd ever actually read. I also do it to remind myself if things by re-reading through Audiobook if I want to get caught up but don't want to completely read again if that makes sense.

On a side note re: the 50 page rule, you're gonna hate me for this, but I've tried multiple times and just couldn't read The Hobbit.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Hobbit is far and away Tolkien's "worst" book, imo. That being said, I still rate it a 10/10 haha. But I get it. It's told in a very whimsical voice that doesn't always connect. The songs are off-putting, too, I think.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Updated for February. Averaging 8 books a month this year it seems!

Colby Searcy and Garrett L. like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Books:
    1) Lock & Key: The Downward Spiral by Ridley Pearson
    2) The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz
    3) Wolf In White Van by John Darnielle
    4) The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
    5) Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
    6) They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib
    7) Into The Black Nowhere (UNSUB #2) by Meg Gardiner

Audiobooks:
    1) UNSUB by Meg Gardiner
    2) Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Feb is bolded. Best stuff I read was Grace of Kings and House of Windows. John Langan is an incredibly interesting horror writer. Also finished off Jupiter's Legacy which was perfect and my favorite Mark Millar venture. The Boys was also excellent and Nameless was a horror masterpiece, a new favorite from Morrison who's pumping out some of my favorite comics like nobody's business. I also enjoyed the second Shannara much more than the first

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  6. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Elfstones is one of my favorite novels. I really liked Sword, but I think in Elfstones he really figured out how to pace his stories and create more original plots/characters. Wishsong is similarly great. Also most of the rest of the books, haha.

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

Yeah I loved it, it looks like that's the timeline the show follows? I'm still figuring out the trajectory of the narrative, I like that it moves through generations but I am excited for it to eventually stick to one timeline. I completely agree with you that he figured out the pacing and characters, I thought pretty much everything about the novel was better. The thing that really bugged me in the first book was the lack of female characters, until the princess comes in like 300 pages in there isn't any mention of a woman except for at the gnome healers. It was driving me insane, lol.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  8. Garrett

March update. Slowing down a little, but I was also incredibly busy this month.

9. Colby Searcy

Updated through today.

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just updated my books for March. Felt like a slower month, mainly because Don Quixote was so long.

Vivatoto and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. Vivatoto

Bolded for march...Malazan has obviously slowed me down a bit but I'm loving it. Besides that McCammon's new book the Listener was pretty damn good. Best comic I read was Omega Men since everything Tom King touches is absolutely perfect.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Philll

Trusted

Finished my 3rd book of the year yesterday. I'm so embarrassed.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Garrett

One a month is still better than none at all. No shame or judgement will be found here.

Deanna and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah man don't worry about that. We welcome hardcore and casual readers alike. I'm actually jealous you've read only 3 books cause that means you probably have way more of a social life than I do.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Philll

Trusted

LOL, that's a generous assumption.

Just disappointing as last year I managed a book a week. I haven't been aiming for a big target but 3 still feels measly. Reading so much last year was a big commitment so I've been catching up on other things I didn't have time for.

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Updated for April. A third of the year gone!

Colby Searcy, Garrett L. and Vivatoto like this.
  17. Vivatoto

Halfway through the main Malazan series now. It's super addicting and I can't stop... Since Astro City has a billion trades I figured I'd just put it all together. There was some ridiculously powerful stuff in there. Definitely feels like one of those series that every comic fan should read at least a little bit of. Stitched and Caliban were great, Ennis is the best.

18. Colby Searcy

Updated through today. Finally finished my ARC a whopping day early

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Books:
    1) Lock & Key: The Downward Spiral by Ridley Pearson
    2) The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz
    3) Wolf In White Van by John Darnielle
    4) The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
    5) Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
    6) They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us by Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib
    7) Into The Black Nowhere (UNSUB #2) by Meg Gardiner
    8) The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
    9) Otherworld by Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller
    10) In A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
    11) The Woman In The Window by A.J. Finn
    12) The Crooked Staircase by Dean Koontz
    13) The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nova Jacobs
    14) The Lying Game by Ruth Ware

Audiobooks:
    1) UNSUB by Meg Gardiner
    2) Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie
    3) Murder Games by James Patterson
    4) One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
    5) A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
    6) Anatomy of A Scandal by Sarah Vaughan
    7) Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    8) Final Girls by Riley Sager

Comics/Graphic Novels:
    1) Clue
    2) The Red Ten
    3) Letter 44 Volume 1
    4) Green Lantern: Earth One Volume 1
    5) Batman: Hush

Updated through today.

Still going strong!

Garrett L. likes this.
  20. Vivatoto Jun 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2018)
    Vivatoto

I think I'm going to read all of Esslemont's Malazan books to so it looks like I won't be finishing that series anytime soon. Stephen King's new book was fucking amazing. Read some great comics, Pretty Deadly was awesome. I can see why Miracleman is considered a classic, Moore just blows me away. It took me way too long to read Dark Knight, it was great. Crawlspace is a MUST for any horror comic fan. 4 nearly perfect, Grindhouse style horror stories and fairly cheap for such a huge package.

Garrett L. and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Dark Knight is so heartbreaking but incredible

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Updated for May/June. I've only read female authors during the last two months which has been a good challenge.

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  23. Vivatoto

I just finished Paul Tremblay's new book and it was fucking awesome. He always delivers. Dark Prince Charming is one of the prettiest batman tales ever, loved it. Now that I've read The Other Side I believe I've read everything that Jason Aaron has written, cause you know he's the best.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I just checked out the Paul Tremblay book. I had started Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn right before that though so I'm waiting to start it. I also need to desperately update my list haha.

25. Vivatoto

It's a super quick read, only about 270 pages and it's basically a non stop thriller. Definitely one you can easily knock out in two or three sittings which is good because you won't want to stop, lol. Have you read Tremblay before? We might have talked about this already