Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Book Lists 2016 (Archived) Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ryan G, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I would if I could! I'm waiting on it from the library and there are currently 14 people ahead of me! I already have the Agatha Christie and Percy Jackson ones DLed I'm just trying to catch up on some music first before I start those

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Ah, gotcha. I love pretty much everything Riordan has touched. He's an instant "must buy" author for me. While simple, his characters are full of great emotion and depth, and the books are just downright hilarious at times. Where do you typically look at audiobooks?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

I have 2 library cards and b/w the both of them I have access to basically anything I would ever want whether it be MP3 downloads or via CD.

Garrett L. likes this.
  4. Garrett

Sweet. Using Overdrive, I'm guessing? I've yet to use it, though I've got the app/library card. Just working through my Audible backlog.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Yep! Hoopla seems to also have a really good selection of Audiobooks as well if Overdrive doesn't have them. The only bad thing is through Overdrive you only have like a week(I think?) to DL and transfer to a device so when you use it, even if you aren't ready to listen to it make sure to transfer it to your iPod or something because you'll lose the files once it returns itself.

6. Garrett

Updated. For a variety of reasons, I had to stop my book review blog. I'm behind on reaching my goal for fifty, but I'm still planning to make it.

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. lolfpcmlol

Regular

So I set a goal of 12 books for the year and am currently at 20, trying to get to 25 now including finishing the game of thrones series. (listed below, not in reading order)

1-3: Game of Thrones 1-3
    4-5: Stormlight Archive 1 & 2
    6-7: King Killer Chronicle 1 & 2
    8-10: The Expanse 2-4
    11: Warbreaker
    12: Dawn of Wonder
    13: The Fifth Season
    14: Lies of Locke Lamora
    15: The Girl With All The Gifts
    16: Bird Box
    17: Dust (Silo Trilogy)
    18. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
    19. Nexus (the only book i barely finished, not my genre)
    20. Red Rising

Currently Reading:
    Grace of Kings (Ken Liu) - Fantastic so far
    The expanse #5

To Read this year:
    Game of thrones 4&5
    Start Mistborn or Broken Empire trilogy (haven't decided yet)

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just did a massive update to my list. Still hoping to get to 50 books. My Goodreads says 109 and this only adds to 104 so I have no clue which 5 I'm missing. I'll figure it out at some point, hah.

Vivatoto and Garrett L. like this.
  9. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

And just hit 300. Been an excellent year.

OwainGlyndwr and Garrett L. like this.
  10. Garrett

I hit fifty by using the children's book loophole. This is incredible. I'm aiming for 75 next year and don't know how I'll do it.

Vivatoto likes this.
  11. Vivatoto

Ha yeah, there are a lot of trade comics in there that take a lot less time to get through then books, I'm going to split those up next year. I feel it all evens out though when you take things like 11 WOT books into consideration, haha. I'm hoping I'll do less next year, I finished writing a book last year and didn't touch it like all year because all that time was replaced with reading. It's also my first year exploring comics which has just been an absolute delight.

You should check out that book I just mentioned in the book thread The Fisherman. I know horror fiction isn't your favorite thing in the world, but you'd really appreciate his prose, some of the best I've read all year. Goodreads called it Fantasy.

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Colby Searcy

How the hell did you find time for that? I know you play games too.

13. Vivatoto

I actually have a job where I'm able to read with moderate interruption for like 6 hours every day, so reading really doesn't bleed into my free time. I basically read at work then come home and play video games, haha. I love when I can mix the two, like reading The Witcher or Metro or a Batman comic than coming home and playing the related game.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Just started reading The Synchronicity Key by David Wilcock, and Secrets of Shamanism by Jose Luis Stevens within the past couple weeks. Also Just got Neil Hilborn - Our Numbered Days. These will probably be finished in the first month or so of the new year, so I'll just post a list then.

I'm on Goodreads if you wanna add me:
    Ken Heike

15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just added you! Always dig checking out what books other people are reading.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just updated my list. 2-3 more things might make the cut before the end of the year. Hoping to get through 2 Suicide Squad trades and finish up Catalyst by James Luceno. Hit my goal of 50 books on the year, not to mention reading way more comics than expected and the list isn't including any single issues I read that will ultimately be collected in trades later. Or the 133 issues of Bendis' Spider-Man and anything else I binge read in Marvel Unlimited. Not having a job sure gave me a lot of time for media consumption this year haha. Only reason I'm hoping to do less next year is because I'm hoping I find a job soon.

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Anyone read Greg Egan?

Been working my way through his works lately. Diaspora, Quarantine, Permutation city all were great.

Quality sci fi.

18. Colby Searcy

Sounds like you have an awesome job! What do you do?

19. Vivatoto

I work at a radio station and we mainly play 30 minute programs, I'm doing the most actual work during our music hours but even then I can get a page or two in every song and that really adds up.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Iain

Regular

I have been lovin' John Grisham books at the moment! Reading his latest one. Anyone recommend any similar styled books?

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Okay, final update on this is done. Added 3 more comics and finished up Catalyst just now.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.