Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Book Lists 2016 (Archived) Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ryan G, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

That would be why it's best to read Warbreaker first if at all possible, I very much tried to get that across in the book thread but it's hard to do without spoiling. It's not like there's this huge, sequel-esque connection, and some people would think that knowledge isn't worth it, which is cool but I think in epic storytelling that's the sort of shit that matters, but it's a pretty big deal when you think about what it could mean going forward. And what that epilogue to Word of Radiance means to the Comsere.

It's the exact same thing as Patrick from Insomnia and the Dark Tower series.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Oh definitely. And I picked up on the Wit connection for sure.

Now I should read Insomnia before my DT re-read, shouldn't I?

3. Vivatoto

Oh absolutely. I wouldn't push that one too hard on someone going through the series for the first time like I would with Black House or the Stand, I know the pull of needing to know what's at the end of the Tower is brutal, especially that late in the game, but it's certainly a MUST if you're looking for the whole experience, which if you are interested enough to do a re-read I imagine you are!

I rarely reread books, too many good ones I haven't read, especially since I've only been into fantasy for like a year, but I decided I'm going to do the Dark Tower again here soon so I'll be joining you. One of these days I'll make a thread, just didn't want to make one and then not post in it for awhile while I wait to start, haha.

4. Garrett

I've read The Stand and Salem's Lot. I know those two were intrinsically linked to The Dark Tower, but what other books are vital? I know he references up to like 27 other works of his, but I don't have time to read 34 books, haha.

5. Vivatoto

Well there's Wind Through the Keyhole, 4.5, you probably already read that though. Black House is the most necessary, and The Talisman is necessary for that. The Little Sister of Eluria is a short story that can be found in Everything's Eventual with young Roland. Hearts In Atlantis is another big one, and you'll love that one.

I'm going to also rec Eyes of the Dragon, which is silly that I haven't recd that to you before, because it's King writing a classic fantasy novel. The idea being something he could write that his kids could read when they were young (it's not really a kids book though, they just don't say fuck). There's a lot to learn about Flagg but this takes place in one of the many other "worlds" so it doesn't affect the story of the Tower.

Oh and about Insomnia, King said in On Writing it was his "try-too hard to be literary" novel and he doesn't much care for it. I see that, but think about it, King's been around for awhile, him "trying to write something more literary" even if it doesn't always work is still going to be interesting.

6. Garrett

I haven't read 4.5 yet, which is why I want to do the re-read so I can do it in order. It came out just long enough after my initial read I didn't feel comfortable jumping right into it. I've also read Hearts in Atlantis! So The Talisman and Black House I'll add to my list.

I started Eyes of the Dragon a long time ago and never finished it. I also can't currently find it so that may be why. So Flaggs in it but it's not apart of TDT?

On Writing is so good. I think Stephen is way more literary at times than he gives himself credit for, so I'll add that one as well.

7. Old Fuck

Regular

Anyone check out joe hill's new one yet?

8. Vivatoto

Ah well you'll like 4.5, if I recall correctly it's basically 3 short stories with a framing device and they are all really good. Just a nice treat for DT fans.

The Talisman is good, Straub's writing takes a little getting use to, he's way more descriptive, but Black House specifically is one of my favorite novels ever. One of his most terrifying on a purely psychological level too. And hopefully we'll get a third one eventually because it really feels like a trilogy.

Well it is part of the Dark Tower, it's just like how they say "there are more worlds than this." This is one of those worlds. There are theories that it might be a twinner of Flagg. And it also has no events that relate to the Dark Tower.

Yeah, King is really hard on himself. I was about to say he's harder on himself than anyone, buttt that's not true.

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. Vivatoto

It comes out next week!

10. Old Fuck

Regular

Didn't know it wasn't out yet. Saw it popping up on my goodreads news. I avoided clicking on it, I like reading my favorite authors without knowing anything about it.

11. Vivatoto

I feel ya. I've read the summary and I can tell you it sounds fucking amazing. I'm pumped.

Old Fuck likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

@Old Fuck

Damn i misspoke its actually two weeks away

13. Garrett

Updated. On track for 50, still, barely. I really gotta get through this memoir I'm supposed to be reviewing for a gig I have this week. I also feel like I need to just buckle down and finish Name of the Wind. I wish I was enjoying it as much as everyone else I've seen talk about it.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Some updates here. Will likely have some more to add soon. Nice to see I incidentally managed some sort of balance between books and comics so far.

15. Liz

Ew, David

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is my favorite book in the whole world

16. Garrett

Wow, okay. Care to tell me a bit as to why? Or is it too personal?

17. Liz

Ew, David

I honestly can't even really explain why, it's just a really beautiful, weird story that has stuck with me since I first read it. But I know it doesn't resonate with everyone; people seem pretty divided about it, which is fine :)

18. Garrett

Interesting. Hm.

19. dlemert

Trusted

My goal was to read 52 this year; I'm already at 51. I've read more nonfiction and graphic novels this year than usual, too.

Read:
    1) Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: Infinities - Various
    2) The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History - Elizabeth Kolbert
    3) The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory - John Seabrook
    4) Quantum of Solace: The Complete James Bond Short Stories - Ian Fleming
    5) Hemingway in Love: His Own Story - AE Hotchner
    6) This Census-Taker - China Mieville
    7) The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Phil Szostak
    8) Injection, Vol. 1 - Warren Ellis
    9) Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow - Warren Ellis
    10) Saturn Run - John Sanford
    11) Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living - Nick Offerman
    12) Styx - Bavo Dhooge
    13) Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him - Robert Kirkman
    14) Outcast, Vol. 2: A Vast and Unending Ruin - Robert Kirkman
    15) Deadly Class, Vol. 1: Reagan Youth - Rick Remender
    16) The Blizzard: A Novel - Vladimir Sorokin
    17) Deadly Class, Vol. 2: Kids of the Black Hole - Rick Remender
    18) Deadly Class, Vol. 3: The Snake Pit - Rick Remender
    19) Zeitoun - Dave Eggers
    20) The Grownup - Gillian Flynn
    21) How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to be Forever - Jack Horner
    22) Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard - Lawrence M. Schoen
    23) Luke Skywalker Can't Read: And Other Geeky Truths - Ryan Britt
    24) Falling Man - Don Delillo
    25) Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard
    26) Better Living Through Criticism: How to Think About Art, Pleasure, Beauty, and Truth - AO Scott
    27) Ernest Hemingway: The Last Interview and Other Conversations - Various
    28) Science of the Magical: From the Holy Grail to Love Potions to Superpowers - Matt Kaplan
    29) Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers - Nick Offerman
    30) Zombie Spaceship Wasteland - Patton Oswalt
    31) Seven Brief Lessons on Physics - Carlo Rovelli
    32) A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - George RR Martin
    33) Point Omega - Don Delillo
    34) Numero Zero - Umberto Eco
    35) Next - Michael Crichton
    36) The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon - David Grann
    37) Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman
    38) Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel
    39) Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation - Bill Nye
    40) The Angel Esmeralda - Don Delillo
    41) The High Mountains of Portugal - Yann Martel
    42) Light: A Radiant History from Creation to the Quantum Age - Bruce Watson
    43) The Internet of Us: Knowing More and Understanding Less in the Age of Big Data - Michael P. Lynch
    44) The City & the City - China Mieville
    45) Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters - Matt Kaplan
    46) Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    47) Iraq: A History - John Robertson
    48) A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay
    49) Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel
    50) Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship - Robert Kurson
    51) The World According to Star Wars - Cass R. Sunstein

Currently Reading:
    1) Zero K - Don Delillo
    2) A Storm of Swords - George RR Martin
    3) Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - Jared Diamond

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. Vivatoto

Been a long ass time since I've updated this. I think next year I'll divide comics and books since I'm reading more comics than I imagined, at this point it's like whatever, I can hit 200 and feel good about myself! Nailbiter is incredible. Hush is my favorite Batman I've read thus far and that's saying a lot. Hack/Slash is my favorite series I'm reading, the next one is the last so I'm sad about that. Caught up on the The Walking Dead and I adore it. Lord of Chaos was great. Learned a lot in On Writing, even if writing doesn't interest you it's still an incredible entertaining book to read thanks to the good ol King charm. I finished off Preacher and it was incredible. Bird Box was scary as fuck, very excited for more from Josh Mallerman. Still trying to read the Purge series but that last book was the worst and it's getting to the point where I'm just torturing myself for now reason.

Simone's Batgirl run was fucking awesome. Seriously made me like Babs as a character more than Bruce. Some of the darkest villains I've read in the DC universe and that was great. Empty Bodies was the best yet, excited for it to end in the next book. Jessica Jones was great, wish it would have ran longer. Funland was cool, What Vengeance Comes was as boring as a werewolf book can be. Slowblind was Good. Despite the Roots was like a short, more fucked up version of We Need To Talk About Kevin..and pretty good. The Fireman was a fucking masterpiece. Best book I've read all year. City of Mirrors was great too, awesome ending to the series. Very interested in Legacy of Light and where that fantasy series goes, first one was alright. Unloved was Josh Saul at his worst. End of Watch was the best in the series, loved it. Crown of Swords was excellent and had maybe the best climax in a WOT book yet. Suicide Squad was pretty fun. Harley Quinn is as awesome as you would hope.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  21. Garrett

Updated. Up next: "The City of Dark Magic" by Magnus Flight, then "I Am Malala."

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. ikanacanyon

Free jake w

Updated. Just finished The Girl With All The Gifts. Not sure what to expect, but I loved it.

Vivatoto likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finally gave this an update as well. Currently working on a couple books, though so hopefully I'll have some more to add soon. Currently reading The Checklist Manifesto, Infinite Jest, and The Rap Year Book. Last two have been slow burns. IJ for obvious reasons but TRYB I started last year and just haven't finished it yet hah.

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Wife gave me a goal to read 2 books this year. As of the first 6 1/2 months of the year it looked impossible as I hadn't picked up a single book, graphic novel, etc. I sit here today and I've doubled her goal for me, showed her! ;-p

Goodreads:
    Colby Searcy

Books:
    1)Can I Say:Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums- Travis Barker
    2)The Cursed Child-J.K. Rowling
    3)Psych's Guide To Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified-Shawn Spencer
    4)Warlock Holmes:A Study In Brimstone-G.S. Denning

Graphic Novels:
    1)Paper Girls Vol. 1-Brian K. Vaughan
    2)Archie Vol. 1-Mark Waid
    3)Wayward Deluxe Book 1/Wayward Volumes 1-2-Jim Zub
    4)Wytches-Scott Snyder
    5)I Hate Fairyland-Skottie Young
    6)Descender Volumes 1-2-Jeff Lemire
    7)Black Magick Vol. 1-Greg Rucka
    8)The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1-Ryan North
    9)Hawkeye Vol. 5:All-New Hawkeye-Jeff Lemire
    10)Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1-Grant Morrison
    11)TMNT:Turtles In Time-Paul Allor
    12)We Are Robin Vol. 1-Lee Bermejo
    13)Birthright Volumes 1-3-Joshua Williamson

Audiobooks:
    1)Everything's Eventual: 5 Dark Tales-Stephen King
    2)The Cuckoo's Calling-Robert Galbraith
    3)The Gingerbread Girl-Stephen King
    4)The Silkworm-Robert Galbraith
    5)Career of Evil-Robert Galbraith
    6)Mr. Mercedes-Stephen King
    7)Finder's Keepers-Stephen King
    8)End of Watch-Stephen King

In queue:

Books

1)Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell-Rob Thomas
    2)Presto!:How I Made 100 Pounds Magically Disappear and Other Magical Tales-Penn Jillette
    3)Wayne of Gotham-Tracy Hickman

Graphic Novels

1)Miles Morales:Ultimate Spider-Man Collection Book 3-Brian Michael Bendis
    2)The Wake-Scott Snyder
    3)The Woods Volumes 1-2-James Tynion IV
    4)Harrow County Volume 1-Cullen Bunn
    5)Batman: Earth One Volume 2-Geoff Johns

Audiobooks

1)Agatha Christie's The Monogram Murders-Sophie Hannah
    2-6)Percy Jackson & The Olympians
    7-13)Harry Potter(reread/listen)
    14)Ready Player One

These should keep me busy awhile.

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Garrett

You should move Ready Player One to next, @Colby Searcy. One of the most fun audiobook experiences I've ever had.

Colby Searcy likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.