Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bonnaroo 2019 Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by manoverboard365, Jan 8, 2019.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

[​IMG]

2. SPine

Trusted

My friends go every year. I always entertain the idea but there's not enough for me to go. Phish as a headliner for two nights?...

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The Phish-centered meltdowns are giving me so much life.

(not saying you are melting down @SPine, just other things I am reading)

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. SPine

Trusted

People on the internet are either very excited for Phish or complaining. I'm not much of a jam band fan, I never got into them. Phish is definitely a good fit just not my thing.

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I was/still am really tempted to go this year, but I think I have to see more lineups. Coachella's is more my speed, but that would be a lot more difficult to pull off logistically for me. GovBall is also more for me, but I also know that most those artists will be playing Chicago this summer anyway, and I'm not sure there's anything special about that festival itself the way Bonnaroo is cool just because it's Bonnaroo.

I might wait and see what Boston Calling comes up with this year before making plans to travel to any fest. I've always wanted to go to that one as well.

But that being said this is still a solid lineup and I'd for sure have a good time. Not really interested in Phish, but I'd check them out. Kacey Musgraves and John Prine on the same day makes me happy for Kacey. Plus Hozier and Post Malone would also be a fun time that day. Idk I got a lot to think about

6. manoverboard365

Trusted

The biggest selling point to Bonnaroo is the overall vibe. A mediocre lineup at Roo is still more enjoyable than an amazing lineup at a city festival like Govball or Lollapalooza, in my opinion.

This is one of the first times I only like one of the headliners. Not a fan of Phish at all, so it makes me mad that they're giving them 3 slots. Also can't stand The Lumineers. I don't despise Post Malone but I don't really have a desire to see him, but I'd watch if nothing else good is happening. Gambino is amazing live, so that's a good get.

But the middle tier here is amazing: Cardi B, Kacey Musgraves, The National, Solange, Hozier, Courtney Barnett, Brandi Carlile, THE LONELY ISLAND! and Brockhampton is amazing.

7. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Y'all will enjoy Phish.

Their Bonnaroo festival and general festival sets are not really true Phish sets per-se. You're not going to see multiple 20-minute jams, bust outs of songs that haven't been played in 20 years, etc. In these environments they tend to play it a bit more down the middle for a wider appeal. Agreeable songs, more straightforward jamming, and so on. Is that the Phish I like? Not necessarily. Is it going to be amazing either way? Of course.

The reason they get three sets is because they are going to bring a bigger crowd than any other artist at Roo and it's not going to even be close. Over the years I have met more Phish fans than I can count that saw their first show at Roo in 2009 or 2012 and have since gone to over a hundred shows! That's a really cool thing. I think it's beautiful that a lot of people are going to stumble into those sets with no knowledge and come out the member of a cult haha.

You will get to see the best light show in the world, all done on the fly. You'll get to see four of the most talented musicians in the world playing for hours without a safety net. Regardless of whether the music is for you, the experience will be undeniable. I recommend it. But then again, I'm biased... :crylaugh:

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve never been but the idea of Bonnaroo fans being upset about Phish feels like the Twilight Zone.

9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Such a funny circle of life, isn't it? All the Phish fans are pissed Phish is playing because Bonnaroo isn't a jam-centric fest anymore...all the current Roo lovers may not know the jam roots...

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The more I've thought about it today, the more I do really want to go. I'm sure I will see everyone I want this summer at the Chicago fests, so I just want to go for the chill camping vibes

11. manoverboard365

Trusted

I saw Phish at Bonnaroo in 2012 and was very underwhelmed. They also had the smallest crowd for a headliner that weekend.
    I have friends who are MASSIVE Phish fans. They've tried so hard to convert me but I've come to terms that they just aren't for me at all.

12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Phish aren't for me but there's no way in hell I'm passing them up on the Farm.

Only 1 of 3 sets tho lol

13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I really wish more than anything that this festival had a slam dunk lineup that would essentially force me to go. While Phish will definitely not play a "true" Phish set, seeing them at Roo would still be an amazing experience and I've never been. But man...this lineup is just not very good.

Feel like they really whiffed Saturday. The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, The 1975? I don't know, something. Undercard feels smaller too.

14. bwh0005

[]

Deafheaven playing on Friday is pretty cool honestly.

15. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Going to look into this. Friday is looking pretty perfect (Childish, Solange, Brockhampton, Gojira, Courtney Barnett, Girl Talk, K.Flay, Deafheaven), and while there's only a few sets I'd watch on Saturday (Kacey Musgraves, THE LONELY ISLAND, Gucci Mane), they'd be sets I'm most anticipating over the weekend.

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

This is the boat I'm on if I end up going (which at this point seems like it's going to happen in my head). I'll hit the Friday night one, and maybe if I'm wowed I'll go to more.

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think Friday and Saturday are equally great. Sunday takes a dip for me, but that may not be a terrible thing since I'd be exhausted anyway.

Honestly the sheer number of times it is possible for Kacey Musgraves to pop up this weekend is what excites me the most (I could see her at the Grand Ole Opry, John Prine set (or vice versa), and Ruston Kelley.

18. Jon

Regular

Unpopular opinion, but the two acts listed on the bottom would probably be the ones I would be most hyped to see (Iglooghost and Kikagaku Moyo). Then the rest of Sunday is rubbish but those two acts, I wish were put on the Friday or Saturday dates.

19. manoverboard365

Trusted

Only acts I'd wanna see on Sunday are Cardi B and Brandi Carlile. Saturday is a really good day.

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

A lot of people complaining about Phish probably YouTube'd one or two songs. Once they hear them live they'll be more into it.

Drewski likes this.
  21. Skoke

Regular

This'll be my fifth year and I'm pretty excited. They did a good job with the bigger electronic acts like RL Grime and GRiZ as well as smaller names like Eprom, Space Jesus, G Jones, and Gramatik. I kinda understand why some people are upset that Phish is headlining two separate days, but I'm always fine with more jam on the Farm.

Drewski and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  22. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I don’t think anyone needs to see phish in 2019

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Not offended, just curious what this means?

24. Skoke

Regular

I'm not too familiar with Phish, but I'm excited to check out what all the hype is about

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Phish kind of is the type of band that I like at festivals though cus I would never go see them on their own, but like it'd be cool enough to say that I've seen them.

justin. likes this.