Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bonnaroo 2018 Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by manoverboard365, Jan 9, 2018.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

[​IMG]

2. manoverboard365

Trusted

Putting my personal taste aside, but in a festival climate where every lineup looks exactly the same, I'll give it to Roo for offering something more unique.
    Sturgill Simpson, 2 Bon Iver sets (!!), Future, Paramore, Sheryl Crow, The Revivalists, Anderson Paak, Mavis Staples, Thundercat, Trombone Shorty, Broken Social Scene and First Aid Kit are all acts I wouldn't expect to see much on other lineups this year.

3. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Pretty decent, but not enough to get me to head to TN

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I kind of wanted to go this year, but I'm not sure this will do it. Headliners are boring (just because all 3 play festivals all the time).

Super excited for Paramore, I'm really hoping they play Lolla.

Also Manchester Orchestra is the most surprising band to me hitting the festival circuit hard this year.

5. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I'm old

electro haikus likes this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This wouldn't get me to travel there, but to each their own. Think I'm aging out of festivals.

7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Me and my friends are getting old, but we're talking about doing Roo one last time this year. I really hope this lineup is enough for them. Honestly in my experience with Roo its actually best that its not overly stacked....much more fun to just chill at your camp site all day and then head in for like 3 shows at night.

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

Theres a lot I could enjoy here: Em, Killers, Muse, BON IVER, Paramore, Anderson Paak, Sheryl Crow, Alt J, Brockhampton, Broken Social Scene, Manchester Orchestra, Japanese Breakfast. Hell even Future and T Pain should be a good ass time.

Fronnyfron likes this.
  9. SPine

Trusted

My friends go to Roo every year. I bought a wristband for last year and sold it last minute. Not even considering it this year. Boston Calling is still my leading fest

10. Surfwax

Last time I went was 2013 which I think was very close to the best lineup ever. There's definitely been a couple years since that I would have gone had I had the time and/or a couple friends interested but this year honestly couldn't interest me less. I'm in agreement that Roo need not be stacked to be a good time (though I do think it's fun when at least one of the days is PACKED with bands you want to see) but looking at this it's clear I'm not the target audience or even a degree removed anymore. The Killers and Future are the perfect kind of acts that I'd like to see at a festival, but when they're literally the 2 & 3 most interesting spots on the bill I'm very out.

Indie kid feeling a lot like the jam kids must have felt in 2006:concerned:

11. Surfwax

Also 90s/00s legacy artists don't have shit on the 60s and 70s ones that made Bonnaroo so unique a decade ago, it is mind boggling to me that Eminem and the Killers (and Muse) are first line acts at multiple festivals in 2018.

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

That was the last year I went also! I definitely think we got to go for Roo's last great lineup. I think the big shift has to do with Superfly being bought by Live Nation. Ever since LN took over, the lineups focused less on legacy and jam acts and more on pop/edm. Its nice to see Chic and Sheryl Crow on the bill, but that doesnt compare to having Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, ZZ Top, Billy Idol and David Byrne in 2013.

13. TMS2787

Trusted

Kind of a snoozer of a line-up to me. The most intriguing thing about the line-up is the two Bon Iver sets. As I get old it seems less and less likely that I’ll ever go to ‘Roo.

SPine likes this.
  14. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

Decent headliners and I can always count on the Bonnaroo lower card to give me new stuff to check out.

15. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Shit lineup. That’s the worst trio of headliners I couldve ever conjured up.

Surfwax likes this.
  16. manoverboard365

Trusted

lol I wouldn't go THAT far.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  17. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Yikes. This is pretty bad. Good for Paramore being billed so high on festivals. I felt like they were back to small venue status. Hope this helps After Laughter pick up some more fans.

Why Eminem? I mean I get nostalgia, but that seems like nostalgia you listen to privately.

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

It's weird seeing peoples reactions to Eminem headlining Coach/Roo/Govball as if he isn't still selling millions of records and selling out football stadiums.

Garrett L., marsvoltamcr and cwhit like this.
  19. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Is he though? I know he did the fewwith Jay-Z but has he done a big show since then? It just doesn't jive with the past Bonnaroo headliners. I feel like there has always been a legacy act, jam band, rock, and recently hip-hop.

SomeGuyNamedMike likes this.
  20. manoverboard365

Trusted

For his last tour in 2014 he did football stadiums. Can't speak for all markets but here in NYC he sold out 2 nights at MetLife Stadium. I think his booking would be more meaningful if he wasn't set to be playing pretty much every festival this summer.

Ever since Live Nation bought Bonnaroo the lineups have gone downhill. They've been slowly throwing away the legacy/jam background and trying to become Coachella mini. Poor move IMO but its still a fun time.

21. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

how do you tell these lineups apart!

22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The ones that have Paramore = good

23. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm hearing that they are doing away with the Comedy tent this year and just putting all their big comedians on the big stages. Apparently Trevor Noah and Amy Schumer are the two big names this year.

24. manoverboard365

Trusted

[​IMG]