Bon Iver - i,i (August 30, 2019) Album • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jun 2, 2019.

1. wisdomfordebris

Trusted Supporter

the run of tracks 1-13 is just toooooooo gooooooood

2. zmtr

so what if i lose? i'm satisfied Supporter

The 5/5 was technically published by The Observer which is their sister publication.

radiodead likes this.
  3. radiodead Aug 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2019)
    radiodead

Trusted

Not trying to highjack. But Big Thief is dropping a new album in October, also recorded at Sonic Ranch. Hallowed ground that place.

4. zmtr

5. GBlades

Trusted

The ending in Sh'Diah makes me feel.....good things. Fuck.

6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

What?!

radiodead likes this.
  7. PauLo

43% Burnt

Half way through and it's not too bad. Never been a big fan of Vernon, but i'm not getting bored yet like I have with some of his other stuff.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

Hey Ma is soooo good

9. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I’ll never complain about new Bon Iver music, but to be honest aside from the early releases and perhaps Naeem, a lot of this sounds like 22,AM rehashed and kind of blurs together. Although I probably said the same about 22,AM when it first came out too

Faith is his best standalone track here though, perhaps his best ever

10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Salem

It'saDoneDeal and zmtr like this.
  11. zmtr

Just listened to a different album for the first time since Thursday..

0/10 not a fan back to this

12. eagles1139

Regular

so happy I didn't spend much time with the pre-release singles. The run of "Hey, Ma", "U (Man Like) and "Naeem" is so incredible.

Lucas27, TylerDrumming and zmtr like this.
  13. radiodead

Trusted

I’d say “Holyfields,”, “Faith”, “Hey, Ma”, and “Naeem” are all legit contenders for top 5 all time Bon Iver songs. Yea, pretty great record.

Lucas27, Justin Roux and zmtr like this.
  14. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

His best album vocally for sure.

The melody of Holyfields reminds me of some volcano choir song not sure which

zmtr and Justin Roux like this.
  15. zmtr

"Keel?"

or maybe "Alaskans"

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Some of his more soulful moments on this reminded me a bit of Tunde from TVOTR

wisdomfordebris and radiodead like this.
  17. TylerDrumming

Regular Supporter

@zmtr - Do you have a go-to live version of Hey, Ma? I stayed away from live videos of the album tracks before the release and now I'm dying to hear some live renditions.

zmtr likes this.
  18. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

I might impulsively book a flight to see them in Colorado...Huge baseball fan so I'd catch a Rockies game as well. Start an MFA program the week after so it could be a nice start to a new life chapter. We shall see.

19. zmtr

Definitely this and I'm not just saying that because I was there. Throws a couple melodic curve balls in there and then shreds over the instrumental break before the last chorus

the guitar adds A LOT to the song live.. but obviously it's no secret that they're always better live (somehow)

it's always incredible how consistently great his vocals are.. especially outdoors

TylerDrumming likes this.
  20. zmtr

The debut version is definitely worth listening to also. There's still some things that I like about it more than the current version..

Big fan of the hip-hop like drum beat in this one

21. TylerDrumming

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I adore the guitar in the second verse here and obviously the whole bridge/breakdown portion here. Exactly what I was looking for, man.

The hip hop drums were wild and I love how atmospheric the synth work feels here. The bridge is a totally different vibe too. Unreal. Much appreciated!

zmtr likes this.
  22. zmtr

sooooooooooo excited to hear what these other songs are gonna sound like live..

Red Rocks on 9/3
    Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL on 10/4
    Schottenstein Center in Columbus, OH on 10/8

gonna be a great fall for this guy..

23. TylerDrumming

Regular Supporter

So ridiculously jealous. He seems to hate Florida, so I'm going to have to travel to seem him at some point lol. Wish I had the money to swing traveling to a show in time for this tour, but luckily he's been incredibly active lately so there will be more chances. That Red Rocks show will be mindblowing.

24. zmtr

Jim likes this.
  25. zmtr

the end of Salem is so damn incredibly good hahahahahahaha