Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bon Iver Announces New Album; Streams New Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bon Iver will release 22, A Million on September 30th. Two songs are now up for your listening pleasure and pre-orders are as well.

22, A Million is part love letter, part final resting place of two decades of searching for self-understanding like a religion. And the inner-resolution of maybe never finding that understanding. The album’s 10 poly-fi recordings are a collection of sacred moments, love’s torment and salvation, contexts of intense memories, signs that you can pin meaning onto or disregard as coincidence.

2. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

2016 is THE year in music.

sean_rugy and CMilliken like this.
  3. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

AOTY

coleslawed likes this.
  4. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

the album performance at eaux claires was spectacular. 8 (circle) is a favorite and the closing track was printed in the eaux claires booklet to sing along with like a church hymn. they closed the set with beth/rest featuring bruce hornsby. truly incredible.

5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Huh, I'm totally hating these two tracks. I feel like there's got to be a learning curve though.

Jusscali likes this.
  6. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Your Brady icon isn't making this comment any better. (kidding but hopefully you'll like the rest of the album!)

7. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I am interested.

8. transrebel59

Regular

This sounds heavily influenced by The Books and that's a great thing.

9. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Surprised myself as to how much I'm digging these two tracks. Definitely looking forward to this one.

10. Cody Butler

Regular

Vernon seems to have been moving towards an abstract electronic sound for a few years now. I'm really digging these two tracks, and I'm not quite sure if it's because I actually like the music, or if it's just new Bon Iver and I'll like anything they do.

coleslawed and Jusscali like this.
  11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

First track is good. Not very into the second one, but I have faith Vernon will make another fantastic record. Going to miss his folk days, though.

12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Not huge on the first song (10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⚄ ⚄), but 22 was pretty cool. I could listen to Justin sing absolutely anything.

13. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Well, the songs are definitely an interesting development..excited for the album!

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Weird so far, but I love his voice so much

15. Serenity Now Aug 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2016)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

The books! Totally forgot about that group! Listened to them back in college circa 2006.

What was that song they had with the voiceover of a guy talking about the teachings of Ghandi? I can't find it on Spotify.

Also, are we going to find out that any of this was influenced/produced by Kanye in anyway? Seems like he is going practically full autotune. Not complaining. Just curious.

16. Strange/interesting songs, titles, and artwork. This will be great.

17. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Man I love Justin Vernon.

18. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Absolutely love 22. I always found his folk sound to be boring so Im really interested in this.

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Haha, thanks! I hope it's not so reminiscent of Kid A like these two songs are.

20. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

"fuckified" :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

1st song is ok, think I'd prefer it if the percussion was 'cleaned up' slightly (it sounds like if you turned the 'bitcrusher' effect on in Garageband in 2008 lol). 2nd song is good, but I just love his voice regardless. It has such an immense softness to it, if that makes sense? Powerfully soft? IDK; someone who's good with words please sum it up for me! lol

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

So... can anyone tell me what a poly-fi recording is? I googled it but the top link was to the description above!

22. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Can someone please explain to me if these are new songs or remixes of the new songs?! I haven't seen anyone or anywhere say much or anything about the fact they would appear to be remixes of some kind..

23. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

I hadn't heard the phrase used either but I'm going to guess its where lo-fi meets hi-fi. So mixing super modern recording techniques with the sorts of recording techniques from the first album.

24. Michael Qualiano Aug 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2016)
    Michael Qualiano

mikeq

not a Kid A fan?? That's my favorite Radiohead release

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

It's not as you go further into the album.